Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tricky, what exactly does he do?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm a huge Tricky fan. His albums are consistently good and it's a real pleasure to see how he has progressed as an artist and person through his music. His latest album for instance, False Idols, has no real floorkillers but plenty of slow-burners and a sound more akin to Maxinquaye than say Mixed Race or Knowle West Boy. He's said in interviews that although not intentional he recognises that he's returning to old ground and reflects where he is in his life.

The new album has some great collaborations too with Nneka (German/Nigerian superstar singer), Chet Baker, The Antlers...

I'll never give him the time of day again though with seeing him live. I saw him last year at the shambolic Maxinquaye one-off gig where he and Martina Topley-Bird were supposed to recreate the great album in full. Bearing in mind that along with Portishead's Dummy and Massive Attack's Blue Lines it forms the holy trinity of trip-hop albums you'd think that he would have taken this unique gig quite seriously. He was a mess - disappearing offstage for entire songs, mumbling and forgetting lines, at one point he got his little brother to do a free-form rap skit - and then the final indignity was inviting the audience onstage for a sing-song - cue loads of Shoreditch and Notting Hill arsehats with camera phones thinking they're the bees knees whereas they were actually accessories to the murder of one of the most important albums in my life.

As I say, hugely under-rated in the UK, he's been far more consistent and prolific musically than any of his Bristol trip-hop/Wild Bunch counterparts even if his personal life is a car-crash.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here