Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Busted Bike Wheel

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
So, late Sunday night after a few pints my friend finished work and I had a go on her bike. Around 3 minutes later I'd bent the back wheel almost in half. Don't ask me how, my only guess is that it was already half buggered.

Anyway, I said I'd get it repaired (ie buy a new one) but don't want to get shafted on the price. It's just a crappy old ladies mountain bike so ideally I don't want to be buying a new wheel that costs more than the friggin bike!

So, how much is a bog-standard, preferably round wheel going to set me back?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So, late Sunday night after a few pints my friend finished work and I had a go on her bike. Around 3 minutes later I'd bent the back wheel almost in half. Don't ask me how, my only guess is that it was already half buggered.

Anyway, I said I'd get it repaired (ie buy a new one) but don't want to get shafted on the price. It's just a crappy old ladies mountain bike so ideally I don't want to be buying a new wheel that costs more than the friggin bike!

Yep it wasn't your fault the wheel got bent in two, it was already broken ???

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have a decent hybrid bike, and after some eejit left a screw driver in the bike lane, buggered up my rear wheel, I got the replacement for £70 (the wheel should have cost £80, but I was quoted 70 so they only charged me that - I didn't even complain they noticed their own mistake and accepted it). That was at Baker Street bikes. For a bog standard bike it will probably be a bit less than that. As it's the rear wheel, the gears will have to be moved over to the new wheel, if you're not used to bike repairs it might be best to let the shop handle it rather than buy a replacement wheel and do it yourself.

Last edited:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Jesus wept. Yeah i'd already looked on halfords and they seemed to be around the £30 range. There's a bike shop of some sort not far from me so i was just going to nip in there, but don't want them saying all the "well you'll need a new tyre too, new inner, we'll do this and that" and having it cost a bomb! I was hoping i'd be able to pick on up for less than £20..

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
DO NOT put a £20 wheel on her bike! You get what you pay for. I once forked out £150 on a pair of racing wheels and they were only entry level. £20 wheels are dangerous and likely to break very easily. Even the ones you think are costly are likely to be the lowest quality. If you want to spend less, try looking on ebay for a used one. Sometimes you can pick up a whole bike for a tenner and use the one on there. Then just give away the rest of the bike and let someone else fix it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Jesus wept. Yeah i'd already looked on halfords and they seemed to be around the £30 range. There's a bike shop of some sort not far from me so i was just going to nip in there, but don't want them saying all the "well you'll need a new tyre too, new inner, we'll do this and that" and having it cost a bomb! I was hoping i'd be able to pick on up for less than £20..

Cheaper to treat her to a new bike for £50 gumtree

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Someone's been enjoying the pies at the Amex

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Try your local tip. The one near me has loads of bike parts and bikes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Southdowns, assuming that's the shop you're think of, isn't going to stiff you, but it'll not be budget like Halfords.

If it's a crappy wheel on a crappy bike take it to Halfords and get them to sort it out.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Go to the charity place along Mile Oak Road on the corner with Chalky Road and get a second hand one.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
haha i do enjoy the pies at the Amex, about 3 a game...However I'm only a graceful 11 stone. Which is why it must've already been knackered!

Yeah I'm looking at just getting a her a whole new second hand bike for 30-odd-quid. Seems like a lot less hassle!

20130901_235242_reduced.jpg

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

haha i do enjoy the pies at the Amex, about 3 a game...However I'm only a graceful 11 stone. Which is why it must've already been knackered!

Yeah I'm looking at just getting a her a whole new second hand bike for 30-odd-quid. Seems like a lot less hassle!

View attachment 46785

:ohmy:

How?!?! If you do 'just get a new bike' make sure the old one is sent somewhere for repair - it won't take much to turn it into a usable bike for someone (even if you just freecycle it). There are probably charities out there locally that do this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here