Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Busted Bike Wheel

0 Not allowed!
    So, late Sunday night after a few pints my friend finished work and I had a go on her bike. Around 3 minutes later I'd bent the back wheel almost in half. Don't ask me how, my only guess is that it was already half buggered.

Anyway, I said I'd get it repaired (ie buy a new one) but don't want to get shafted on the price. It's just a crappy old ladies mountain bike so ideally I don't want to be buying a new wheel that costs more than the friggin bike!

So, how much is a bog-standard, preferably round wheel going to set me back?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Players come and go. Managers come and go. Even directors come and go but we, the fans, are the ever present. We are Brighton and Hove Albion, and don't you ever forget it!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goring-by-Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      So, late Sunday night after a few pints my friend finished work and I had a go on her bike. Around 3 minutes later I'd bent the back wheel almost in half. Don't ask me how, my only guess is that it was already half buggered.

Anyway, I said I'd get it repaired (ie buy a new one) but don't want to get shafted on the price. It's just a crappy old ladies mountain bike so ideally I don't want to be buying a new wheel that costs more than the friggin bike!

So, how much is a bog-standard, preferably round wheel going to set me back?
      Yep it wasn't your fault the wheel got bent in two, it was already broken
      Devil's Advocate (p/t)

0 Not allowed!
      I have a decent hybrid bike, and after some eejit left a screw driver in the bike lane, buggered up my rear wheel, I got the replacement for £70 (the wheel should have cost £80, but I was quoted 70 so they only charged me that - I didn't even complain they noticed their own mistake and accepted it). That was at Baker Street bikes. For a bog standard bike it will probably be a bit less than that. As it's the rear wheel, the gears will have to be moved over to the new wheel, if you're not used to bike repairs it might be best to let the shop handle it rather than buy a replacement wheel and do it yourself.
      Last edited by Acker79; 05-09-2013 at 15:06.
      Please report offensive or libellous posts - read more

0 Not allowed!
      Jesus wept. Yeah i'd already looked on halfords and they seemed to be around the £30 range. There's a bike shop of some sort not far from me so i was just going to nip in there, but don't want them saying all the "well you'll need a new tyre too, new inner, we'll do this and that" and having it cost a bomb! I was hoping i'd be able to pick on up for less than £20..

0 Not allowed!
      DO NOT put a £20 wheel on her bike! You get what you pay for. I once forked out £150 on a pair of racing wheels and they were only entry level. £20 wheels are dangerous and likely to break very easily. Even the ones you think are costly are likely to be the lowest quality. If you want to spend less, try looking on ebay for a used one. Sometimes you can pick up a whole bike for a tenner and use the one on there. Then just give away the rest of the bike and let someone else fix it.
      Players come and go. Managers come and go. Even directors come and go but we, the fans, are the ever present. We are Brighton and Hove Albion, and don't you ever forget it!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goring-by-Seagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Jesus wept. Yeah i'd already looked on halfords and they seemed to be around the £30 range. There's a bike shop of some sort not far from me so i was just going to nip in there, but don't want them saying all the "well you'll need a new tyre too, new inner, we'll do this and that" and having it cost a bomb! I was hoping i'd be able to pick on up for less than £20..
      Cheaper to treat her to a new bike for £50 gumtree
      Last edited by symyjym; 05-09-2013 at 15:12. Reason: wrong link
      [Insert witty title here] shaolinpunk's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Someone's been enjoying the pies at the Amex
      Error;; File 'KateUptonBouncing.gif' not loaded. Click HERE to open image
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Try your local tip. The one near me has loads of bike parts and bikes.
      Who provided the first pic of Amex Progress? Who told you of the Amex staff sackings? Who told you that Sammy Lee wasn't coming?

0 Not allowed!
      Here you go. Prices starting from 99p.
      http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40