Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC Advice Needed

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I've found a computer and need to know whether its any good and if so, what I should be paying for it.

It's quite old. It's a Siemens Amilo pro. With windows xp home edition.

All I need it for is to back up my iTunes and put CDs on to my iPad.

Any advice will be very gratefully received.

Thanks NSCers in advance! :albion2:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've found a computer and need to know whether its any good and if so, what I should be paying for it.

It's quite old. It's a Siemens Amilo pro. With windows xp home edition.

All I need it for is to back up my iTunes and put CDs on to my iPad.

Any advice will be very gratefully received.

Thanks NSCers in advance! :albion2:

Get on ebay, do a search for the machine, then click the 'completed listings' option and it will list all that have been sold recently. Baring in mind ebay does inflate prices, it should give you a good idea of market value.

edit....I just did a quick search and £30 - £40 seems an average price, with the odd one going for £65, or as low as £20, I guess depending on spec.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
£35 tops I would say. If you have an independent PC shop nearby why not see if they have any refurbs going cheap?

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
With XP on board it could well be 10 years old . £50 max is my guess .

Get on ebay, do a search for the machine, then click the 'completed listings' option and it will list all that have been sold recently. Baring in mind ebay does inflate prices, it should give you a good idea of market value.

edit....I just did a quick search and £30 - £40 seems an average price, with the odd one going for £65, or as low as £20, I guess depending on spec.

Thanks guys! It's got word etc installed which is nice. I'm not paying the £100 the woman wants!

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
£35 tops I would say. If you have an independent PC shop nearby why not see if they have any refurbs going cheap?

I may well do this. I can't handle the constant crashing. *windows is not responding*

I have no patience, clearly.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I have one of these cheep old PC which I use solely for internet surfing and share the keyboard, mouse and screen with my main PC using an omnibox.
Then if I get hit with a virus I simply re install XP and start all over again - never keep anything on it that I would be sorry to lose.
Anti virus still install and updated but the risk of losing my main PC is now reduced / minimal.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here