Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's Google Doodle

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Absolutely first class.

image.jpg

Google has celebrated the 187th anniversary of the birth of English cricketer, and creator of 'the Bible of Cricket', John Wisden.

Born in Brighton on September 5, 1826, little is known about Wisden's early life.

Following the death of his father he was cared for by the notable wicket keeper Tom Box who encouraged his cricketing abilities.

He made his debut for Sussex at 18 years of age.

At the peak of his powers, Wisden, who went on to play 187 first-class cricket matches for Kent, Middlesex and Sussex, was known as 'The Little Wonder'.

He is widely considered to have been the best all-rounder of his day.

Despite his significant cricketing achievements, Wisden is today most famous for creating the eponymous 'Wisden Cricketers' Almanack' after retiring from the game.

The Almanack was first published in 1864 and a new volume has appeared every year since then. Wisden 2013 is therefore the 150th edition.

When it was first published the Almanack printed 'full and accurate scores' along with facts about the Derby, the St Leger, the university rowing matches 'and other Interesting Information'.

It has been published every year without fail since its creation despite the company coming close to liquidation in 1937.

The Alamanck was even published during the war years, despite the company's headquarters being set on fire by a German bomber - destroying their records.

This remarkable continued publication makes the Almanack the longest running sports annual in history. Today a copy of the original 1864 edition is valued at around £25,000.

John Wisden died of cancer, aged 57, in London. He is buried in Brompton Cemetery.

Today's Doodle celebrates the Almanack using the distinctive front cover font of the Almanack against the famous yellow background that has been used on every edition since 1938.

The Doodle also features its own take on the famous woodcut of two cricketers, by Eric Ravilious, which regularly appeared on covers up until 2003 when it was replaced by a photograph of a contemporary cricketer.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I wonder why he couldn't spell almanac. Anyway it's always worth a perusal and I was unaware that he played for Sussex.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for reminding me about:-

http://jimllpaintit.tumblr.com/

tumblr_mr2kddskVd1s6ylubo1_500.jpg
Dear Jim,

Please can you paint for me the beautiful moment when Voldemort finally finds a Coke bottle with his name on it.

Cheers,

Lee Hall

tumblr_mqtbolzWxN1s6ylubo1_500.jpg
The Chuckle Brothers recreating the pottery scene from Ghost only the pot is the Lionel Richie head from the Hello video

As requested by Russel T. Wake

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here