Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic Derby Fans banned

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
if they chanted ' we can see you holding hands'- does that mean we cant reply ' you are too ugly to be gay' ?

This from The BBC-

Derby County fans banned for homophobic chants at Brighton
Two Derby County fans who admitted shouting homophobic abuse at Brighton supporters have been banned from football matches for three years.

Brothers Shane, 25, and Daniel Davies, 20, were arrested after a game at Brighton's Amex Stadium on 10 August.

The pair, both Derby County season ticket holders from Brough, in the East Riding of Yorkshire, cannot attend any matches in the UK or abroad.

Shane Davies was order to pay a £160 fine and Daniel Davies fined £87.

They were sentenced at Brighton Magistrates' Court on Monday after pleading guilty to public order offences at an earlier hearing.

'Not tolerated'
Derbyshire Constabulary said this was the first time Rams fans had been given football banning orders over homophobic abuse.

PC Allan Guy added: "Homophobic abuse won't be tolerated.

"This type of behaviour is unacceptable and using it in a football stadium is no different.

"Hopefully this will serve as a reminder to supporters that action will be taken against anyone causing offence by using this type of language."

Both men were ordered to pay £50 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Kind of depends what they actually said doesn't it really. Given the punishment I doubt it was "we can see you holding hands". The CPS and the police are dumb very often but they're not that dumb.

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
surely fans chanting 'homophobic' comments to [ i presume] mostly straight blokes is an empty insult and therefore meaningless..

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Good. Plenty more of this.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It won't be for something as trivial as 'we can see you holding hands' that's for sure, I've heard some truly vile things being said that do warrant arrest and not just being cast off as 'banter' for example I saw a Swansea fan 4-5 years ago on the train back I won't mention exactly what they were doing as its disgusting but it involved a mother and her son who were brighton fans having things shouted at them and graphic actions, truly vile people I did report them to the train operator but of course nothing was done.

I'm certain this must have been sonething particularly bad.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
surely fans chanting 'homophobic' comments to [ i presume] mostly straight blokes is an empty insult and therefore meaningless..

Yeah, much like the "im going to smash your head in you ****ing poofter" chap I encountered up at Wednesday :)lol:) last season.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It does depend on what is said, but to be honest, if other fans are prepared to insinuate that Northerners beat up their wives and south Londoners are scum then I'm not sure what the difference is :shrug:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Saw or rather heard them after they had been loaded in the police van and they were being pretty foulmouthed and aggressive then. If their behaviour was as vicious before then no surpise they were arrested.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

Why should you have to explain (or try and avoid) to your eight-year old lad or nephew what HIV or AIDS is if that was sung repeatedly? Absolutely disgraceful.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

It's an interesting one that. I think straight blokes (and girls while we are at it) can still find it offensive because in a liberal society one can be upset by homophobia whether straight or gay. But my feeling simply on my reaction when seeing it is dependent on who it is. The Palace fans reaction when they beat us 3-1 at the Amex first season was awful in my view. They just seemed to be in some kind of timewarp. Some of the other fans though have just enjoyed the banter. Maybe that sort of banter isn't really acceptable and I certainly think the FA can do much more to tackle the issue in the game given the effort theyve made on racism, but I have a couple of gay friends who think i'm being a bit precious about it. I kind of agree. I think like racism, we should be dealing with it on a club culture level, not the fan issue. My two gay friends love the responses we give when abused and think that does more to ridicule it than anything.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

I'm mostly straight. Except Wednesdays. Obviously.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Kind of depends what they actually said doesn't it really. Given the punishment I doubt it was "we can see you holding hands". The CPS and the police are dumb very often but they're not that dumb.
It was not for any of the chants in the stadium. They also pleaded guilty.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
if they chanted ' we can see you holding hands'- does that mean we cant reply ' you are too ugly to be gay' ?

This from The BBC-

Derby County fans banned for homophobic chants at Brighton
Two Derby County fans who admitted shouting homophobic abuse at Brighton supporters have been banned from football matches for three years.

Brothers Shane, 25, and Daniel Davies, 20, were arrested after a game at Brighton's Amex Stadium on 10 August.

The pair, both Derby County season ticket holders from Brough, in the East Riding of Yorkshire, cannot attend any matches in the UK or abroad.

Shane Davies was order to pay a £160 fine and Daniel Davies fined £87.

They were sentenced at Brighton Magistrates' Court on Monday after pleading guilty to public order offences at an earlier hearing.

'Not tolerated'
Derbyshire Constabulary said this was the first time Rams fans had been given football banning orders over homophobic abuse.

PC Allan Guy added: "Homophobic abuse won't be tolerated.

"This type of behaviour is unacceptable and using it in a football stadium is no different.

"Hopefully this will serve as a reminder to supporters that action will be taken against anyone causing offence by using this type of language."

Both men were ordered to pay £50 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

That means they can't go on holiday every other June aswell. Over zealous, ridiculous punishment.

It does depend on what is said, but to be honest, if other fans are prepared to insinuate that Northerners beat up their wives and south Londoners are scum then I'm not sure what the difference is :shrug:
The difference is quite straightforward. The Equalities Act 2010 defines "protected characteristics" where the law will take action in relation to discrimination, harassment and victimisation. These are:- Age, Disability, Gender Reassignment, Marriage & Civil Partnerships, Pregnancy & Maternity, Race, Religion or Belief, Sex and Sexual Orientation.

Living in the North of England is not a protected characteristic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here