Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greg Dyke ..... spot on ....

TopCat

Jun 17, 2011
Great sentiment, now deliver on it! Problem is FA have no power over the Premier League.... and the Prem only ever serve the interest of the big clubs.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Great sentiment, now deliver on it! Problem is FA have no power over the Premier League.... and the Prem only ever serve the interest of the big clubs.

Correct and is funded and run by Sky. The big clubs won't change you only have to look at the transfer window and the need for the clubs quick fix. Rather than nurture young British talent with academies they think throwing big bucks at foreign imports will do the trick. A lot of the time Sky sports blows the transfer window out of all proportion and the fans fall for the hype.
Until the FA force clubs to play a certain amount of British players (which is probably against employment laws) the amount of homegrown talent will continue to dwindle.
I've been saying it for ages that the day will come when there are no English players in the premier league.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As I see it the issue is the coaching and it is widely reported we have inferior numbers of pro grade coaches in this country compared with our European counterparts. Look no further than Gareth Southgate being appointed as the person to oversee coaching and to impose a style of football across our youth development team. Is this really the best coach our national team can source to develop our future players?

Our players are technically inferior and the only place you find a lot of English players is the championship. Due to the chasm of wealth between the championship and premier league clubs are forced to put ridiculous price tags on their young talent to try and help bridge the financial gap. This creates a situation where Zaha is sold for £15million and Jordan Rhodes £8million the kind of prices you should be paying for a finished product not young players with potential. Young players need to be financially rewarded when they have achieved something not when they are merely showing potential.

I don't think quotas are the answer and is just sticking a plaster over a much deeper issue. We have to develop players of a sufficient quality in the academies and if good enough these will make the first teams. This is how is works in Spain and they don't seem to be doing too badly internationally

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
As I see it the issue is the coaching and it is widely reported we have inferior numbers of pro grade coaches in this country compared with our European counterparts. Look no further than Gareth Southgate being appointed as the person to oversee coaching and to impose a style of football across our youth development team. Is this really the best coach our national team can source to develop our future players?

Our players are technically inferior and the only place you find a lot of English players is the championship. Due to the chasm of wealth between the championship and premier league clubs are forced to put ridiculous price tags on their young talent to try and help bridge the financial gap. This creates a situation where Zaha is sold for £15million and Jordan Rhodes £8million the kind of prices you should be paying for a finished product not young players with potential. Young players need to be financially rewarded when they have achieved something not when they are merely showing potential.

I don't think quotas are the answer and is just sticking a plaster over a much deeper issue. We have to develop players of a sufficient quality in the academies and if good enough these will make the first teams. This is how is works in Spain and they don't seem to be doing too badly internationally
:thumbsup:
Also, I heard that Greg Dyke had said that unless the situation changed (paraphrasing here) ' England would struggle to compete' - surely this is happening already?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Thought we knew all this before and that was primarily why St Georges was developed, ie to train coaches and train people who can then train coaches. We aren't going to match Spain, Germany and France overnight but St Gs is the first step.

As for his comment that the FA sanctioned the breakaway league primarily for the benefit of England, what a load of tosh. They had no choice as not to do so would almost certainly have meant the top five looking to form a European super league (which effectively the champions league now is).

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I think part off the problem is the players,they work their socks of for their clubs because they get paid thousands but when it comes to stepping up for their country they suddenly Don't give a shit.Blaming the rise in overseas players isn't totally correct as England have been shit since 66 which is long before overseas players came here.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think part off the problem is the players,they work their socks of for their clubs because they get paid thousands but when it comes to stepping up for their country they suddenly Don't give a shit.Blaming the rise in overseas players isn't totally correct as England have been shit since 66 which is long before overseas players came here.

Partly true, though l don't think we have been shit since 66. We were unlucky to be beaten by West Germany in the 1970 World Cup Finals, and despite not qualifying in 74, remained a force arguably well into the 80's.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
only re-iterating what every football supporter has been saying for years.....he's just paid millions to have a platform and say it !

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
America will win the world cup before England. Their coaching system and small sided games, with a focus on Futsal, will mean they overtake England by the 2018 world cup. They have been using the small sided games for about 15 years (like Spain/France), England implemented it this year.

I shudder at the abuse I will get when USA go further than England.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Foreign TV corporations, Foreign club ownership, foreign managers, foreign sponsors, too many foreign players and foreign fans in the majority. That's the Premiership is a global business and we've no chance. One day the bubble will bust (and all bubbles do) and we'll get control back...

I really believe Greg's heart is in the right place and he's probably the best we've got, whether he can change things I'm not so sure.

P.S If we're gonna win a WC, any one but Qatar please. Maybe aim for 2026 in England, we never win on foreign soil anyway

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
With all those English players playing regularly in the top flight he mentions we must have been awesome in the 1992 Euros or the 1994 World Cup

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
UEFA Pro and 'A' licenced coaches

Spain 32,000
Germany 22,000
France 24,000
Italy 18,000

England 2,000.

Nuff said?

Dyke can point as many fingers as he likes at the PL but the problem lies at grass roots.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Spain 32,000
Germany 22,000
France 24,000
Italy 18,000

England 2,000.

Nuff said?

Dyke can point as many fingers as he likes at the PL but the problem lies at grass roots.

But the problem is how do you fund grass roots and surely that means more money coming from the PL because that is where the overwhelming bulk of it goes.

As for Dykes assertion that we should aim to win the 2022 world cup how ridiculous on several fronts. Firstly, he dismisses next year, which is fair enough, but one of the main reasons being that it is hard to win in South America!!! Exactly how much easier is it going to be to win a world cup in the middle of a desert, with or without AC stadiums? Also, the players that take us there in 9 years time, are already in the existing coaching set up, ie they are likely to be in the age group 16/20 plus a few senior pros. We've yet to get the 32k pro coaches that other countries may have so it's going to be some time before the effect filters through.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Raises concerns on "the number of foreign owners, players and coaches" in the game now. The last coach Dyke appointed when he was chairman at Brentford ?

Uwe Rosler.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
America will win the world cup before England. Their coaching system and small sided games, with a focus on Futsal, will mean they overtake England by the 2018 world cup. They have been using the small sided games for about 15 years (like Spain/France), England implemented it this year.

I shudder at the abuse I will get when USA go further than England.

I think you might be right

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Spain 32,000
Germany 22,000
France 24,000
Italy 18,000

England 2,000.

Nuff said?

It's unbelievable the difference isn't it?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It really is incredibly easy to point out problems, as snail polisher did. It is far harder to come up with solutions, of which he had zero.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here