Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England to win the World Cup in 2022?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think Roy Hodgson does not think much of it. 8 years to get a squad capable of winning in 2022 ha ha. Still, it won't be his problem as I can't see him lasting that long.

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Winning it might be a stretch, but it's enough time that if we make the right decisions with academies etc now, we will start seeing the benefits by then. Look at Germany - when we beat them 5-1 in 2001 they did something about it and completely restructured youth football, forcing Bundesliga clubs to have high-quality academies. Nine years later, it's a number of these academy graduates, probably no more than 11 or 12 years old in 2001, who star as they beat us 4-1 in the World Cup.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I think Roy Hodgson does not think much of it. 8 years to get a squad capable of winning in 2022 ha ha. Still, it won't be his problem as I can't see him lasting that long.

He won't be alive by then, let alone still manager.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We'll be going in as defending champions, so we will be one of the favourites.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
if the England football team are to do well the premier league teams need to stop buying players from abroad and then leave the england players out of their teams

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Until we limit the amount of foreign players able to play in our first teams then nothing will change , it is ok having the academies then maturing the players but until they play first team regular football in the Premier league nothing will happen , they will play in premier reserve teams and loaned out to Championship teams and will not normally make the final break , of course some do like at Arsenal and have matured very well . The Premier league was an attractive league with money so we attract the worlds best , not so much now , I believe the quality has gone down the last 2 years but may change again this year ? The FA/Premier league should step in and put a limit on foreign players , doubt if they will though as so much money going through the game , for the Big clubs anyway .

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Until we limit the amount of foreign players able to play in our first teams then nothing will change , it is ok having the academies then maturing the players but until they play first team regular football in the Premier league nothing will happen , they will play in premier reserve teams and loaned out to Championship teams and will not normally make the final break , of course some do like at Arsenal and have matured very well . The Premier league was an attractive league with money so we attract the worlds best , not so much now , I believe the quality has gone down the last 2 years but may change again this year ? The FA/Premier league should step in and put a limit on foreign players , doubt if they will though as so much money going through the game , for the Big clubs anyway .

I think it has more to do with the lack of ambition from English players to play abroad. Our so-called golden generation wuld have been much better if they had followed Beckham's lead and tried to broaden their horizons. Rio, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and the rest would have become better players and been much more confident mentally.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not enough English players coming through. Even the academies are full of foreign youngsters, as that qualifies them as "home grown" thereby making the "8 home grown players" rule for each Premiership squad a nonsense .... for example, at ManUre, Rafael and Fabio are both "home grown".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This, but it is never going to happen as The Premier League clubs will do as they like. Just think of goalkeepers, how many premiership clubs have a first team goalkeeper who is English qualified ? I remember a time when Clemence and Shilton shared 1st choice goalie with the likes of Phil Parkes and Joe Corrigan barely getting a game. Look down the league and try to find any more than Hart and Foster.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think it has more to do with the lack of ambition from English players to play abroad. Our so-called golden generation wuld have been much better if they had followed Beckham's lead and tried to broaden their horizons. Rio, Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and the rest would have become better players and been much more confident mentally.

Not sure many of our players are technically good enough for the big foreign clubs, and they wouldn't accept playing for a smaller one.

When it became pretty apparent that Rooney was unhappy this summer, the silence was deafening. Arsenal and Chelsea sniffed, but absolutely no-one from Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, etc, seemed in the slightest bit interested.

Oct 25, 2003
big problem for me is that the FA haven't got the ability to tell the PL clubs to limit the amount of foreigners in their teams. The PL would just tell the FA to **** off as it isn't in their interests to have a limit put in place on the amount of foreign players. The PL is under no obligation to provide players for the national team, and don't seem particularly fussed to do so. Big problem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I really don't get this 'not enough English players' business. If places are tight so only the very best English players get to play, that's surely a good thing. I don't understand why the national team would be better if there were 20 or 30 more mediocre English players in the PL. You just need a good 22 (OK, 30 to cover injuries) and that should be enough. I can the argument applying for goalies - we don't have enough - but we have plenty in other positions.

To use the old chestnut. We didn't qualify in 74 or 78 and we had no foreign players in the league then. It's always rolled out as the counter-example but that's because it's undeniably true.

I agree with Kumquat. A lot of other countries have their players in different leagues, learning from different cultures and ways of doing things: it adds a new dimension to their game. We really don't have enough of this.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Not sure many of our players are technically good enough for the big foreign clubs, and they wouldn't accept playing for a smaller one.

When it became pretty apparent that Rooney was unhappy this summer, the silence was deafening. Arsenal and Chelsea sniffed, but absolutely no-one from Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, etc, seemed in the slightest bit interested.

Agree but it was also clear that Rooney didn't actually want to play abroad. When the Chelsea deal came a cropper, his agent actually said that Rooney "would" consider a move abroad. The reluctance was clear for all to see. I just find it depressing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I really don't get this 'not enough English players' business. If places are tight so only the very best English players get to play, that's surely a good thing..

I used to agree with this but I think one recent transfer has shown that some players will develop later than when the club wanted them to.

Gareth Bale.

Spurs wanted rid of him. They even agreed a fee with Forest for him but Bale said no.

You wonder how many players have been moved on to poorer football levels and could have developed into great players.

I don't think it's as simple as "we need more", but again, I don't think the best ALWAYS rise to the top no matter what. Some are late developers.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I used to agree with this but I think one recent transfer has shown that some players will develop later than when the club wanted them to.

Gareth Bale.

Spurs wanted rid of him. They even agreed a fee with Forest for him but Bale said no.

You wonder how many players have been moved on to poorer football levels and could have developed into great players.

I don't think it's as simple as "we need more", but again, I don't think the best ALWAYS rise to the top no matter what. Some are late developers.

I agree with that but the loan systems vast use alows them to develop now like never before. Bridcutt is a great example. Was never going to get in Chelsea's first team but has blossomed at Brighton. Used correctly the loan system separates those who should rise to the top and those that shouldn't. Josh McEachran for example struggled at Middlesbrough despite being highly praised in advance. I don't think there's many excuses for an English player these days, whether they develop late or not, to reach their potential.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I really don't get this 'not enough English players' business. If places are tight so only the very best English players get to play, that's surely a good thing. I don't understand why the national team would be better if there were 20 or 30 more mediocre English players in the PL. You just need a good 22 (OK, 30 to cover injuries) and that should be enough. I can the argument applying for goalies - we don't have enough - but we have plenty in other positions.

To use the old chestnut. We didn't qualify in 74 or 78 and we had no foreign players in the league then. It's always rolled out as the counter-example but that's because it's undeniably true.

I agree with Kumquat. A lot of other countries have their players in different leagues, learning from different cultures and ways of doing things: it adds a new dimension to their game. We really don't have enough of this.

But on your assumption you are making a caste iron decision on players at a relatively young age.

If there were more opportunities for young English talent throughout the leagues then you would be surprised how many decent players who otherwise wouldnt be given the opportunity today might flourish, even going on to the international stage.

I accept many might fail, just as many foreign signings do, but some would succeed and we need to take that risk.

Ironically you have a greater chance if you are lucky enough to play 10 premier league games to represent England, than a talented player in an Academy to get on the bench in the Premier League, thats the wrong way round.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here