Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Argus letter writer doesn't rate the Amex catering too highly

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Does he have a point ?

Brighton and Hove Albion’s chief executive Paul Barber wrote about the club’s old Withdean stadium in his programme notes before the team’s game against Burnley on August 24.

I found his remarks about Withdean quite insulting. He talked about the running track, the food at £58 per head (not all the time I went) and the 170 staff (all capable of doing their jobs) as opposed to 1,200 now.

He also wrote, “I’ve heard talk of some supporters choosing to eat outside of our stadium. To be honest, I’m not sure why.”

This is why: two seasons and three award-winning catering companies later and we’re now up to £94.80 for fine dining – still far above what the average fan is prepared to pay for a matchday meal.

My frustration is shared by friends in the 1901 Club, where Albion fans can have a sit-down meal – not to be confused with corporate hospitality.

We did not go to Withdean through choice but out of necessity. We got wet and sat a long way from the pitch but we ate meals at sensible prices, including half a bottle of wine, in our portacabins, all looking forward to life at the Amex.

No one can dispute we have a fantastic stadium thanks to the efforts of Dick Knight and Tony Bloom.

What I don’t like is Mr Barber’s inference that if we don’t spend our money on inflated food prices we don’t deserve to get the players to progress to the next level.

Once fans realise they can eat and drink elsewhere for less, it will be difficult to entice them back to the Amex.

I have received a reply from Mr Barber, but feel the club still cannot provide a reasonable meal at a reasonable cost.

Until such time as the club gets its catering act together, I shall not eat at the Amex and I will choose to drink where I like.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
To a point, I don think price is the issue its menu choice, who elects to pay 14 pounds for bangers and mash, unless its of some remarkable quality which obviously food at the Amex isn't.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
To a point, I don think price is the issue its menu choice, who elects to pay 14 pounds for bangers and mash, unless its of some remarkable quality which obviously food at the Amex isn't.

It's both .. I'd be quite happy with Bangers and Mash but not at £14 regardless of quality

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
He has a very good point. Whether Barber likes it or not the offering has to be seen as good value when compared to other places. I'm not by any means saying cheaper - we all know there's a premium to pay to eat at a venue effectively setup to cater on 30 ish days of the year. That said £95 plus say £40 for the ticket seems VERY steep when you consider you can stay at Ockenden Manor in Cuckfield, a country hotel with Michelin star restaurant for a night with dinner and breakfast thrown in for £105 a person ( including use of the spa ). I know it's not apples with apples but the Albion are taking the piss a little.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I had a hospitality season ticket at the Withdean and used to sit on the same table every week and be served by the same polite and friendly women every week and it was lovely despite it being in a porter cabin the food was always nice and the atmosphere just as good. I have been put off signing up to hospitality at the Amex because I have heard nothing but bad reviews. It would appear they have lost touch with the customer...

does he have a point ?

Brighton and hove albion’s chief executive paul barber wrote about the club’s old withdean stadium in his programme notes before the team’s game against burnley on august 24.

I found his remarks about withdean quite insulting. He talked about the running track, the food at £58 per head (not all the time i went) and the 170 staff (all capable of doing their jobs) as opposed to 1,200 now.

He also wrote, “i’ve heard talk of some supporters choosing to eat outside of our stadium. To be honest, i’m not sure why.”

this is why: Two seasons and three award-winning catering companies later and we’re now up to £94.80 for fine dining – still far above what the average fan is prepared to pay for a matchday meal.

My frustration is shared by friends in the 1901 club, where albion fans can have a sit-down meal – not to be confused with corporate hospitality.

We did not go to withdean through choice but out of necessity. We got wet and sat a long way from the pitch but we ate meals at sensible prices, including half a bottle of wine, in our portacabins, all looking forward to life at the amex.

No one can dispute we have a fantastic stadium thanks to the efforts of dick knight and tony bloom.

What i don’t like is mr barber’s inference that if we don’t spend our money on inflated food prices we don’t deserve to get the players to progress to the next level.

Once fans realise they can eat and drink elsewhere for less, it will be difficult to entice them back to the amex.

I have received a reply from mr barber, but feel the club still cannot provide a reasonable meal at a reasonable cost.

Until such time as the club gets its catering act together, i shall not eat at the amex and i will choose to drink where i like.

I think the guys who were doing the catering at withdean do some of the racing venues and are serving more meals than the amex 1901 are selling,and i have been told the system is alot smoother than the amex.Shame they didn't get the contract at the amex,Albion fans as well:blush:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I have no experience of eating a 'proper' meal at The Amex or the Withdean, but I know that I can get a burger and a bottle of pepsi for £6.50 at the Amex while I can get a burger, chips and a drink for less en route

When someone asks for a pint of frothers and they get told that it has run out, then they walk off swearing not wanting to try a very good Sussex brew, then I have no sympathy for them. In fact, I ended up intoning 'Here's a truck stop instead of St. Peters' As for the pies, the last hotpot I had tasted was dandy, granted there maybe other overpriced items, but if you want to over eat at Amex then maybe it worth cooking some more at home, some don't even eat. The staff do a good job trying to maintain orders and are coming under increasing unnecessary jibes. With quicker service, it would make this humble squire happier.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
My dad has joined the author of the letter at 'The Newmarket'. They are quite rightly taking direct action. That group would spend any differential on beers and wine in any case. Someone here mentioned the racecourse caterers. The Silks restaurant offers high class food at a fraction of the cost. And each time we have been there we have more than made up the differential in 'Wet Sales'. Barber is losing focus. His article in the programme was preposterous. A product must be equivalent in quality to its relative cost. bring them that and they will return.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
When someone asks for a pint of frothers and they get told that it has run out, then they walk off swearing not wanting to try a very good Sussex brew, then I have no sympathy for them. In fact, I ended up intoning 'Here's a truck stop instead of St. Peters' As for the pies, the last hotpot I had tasted was dandy, granted there maybe other overpriced items, but if you want to over eat at Amex then maybe it worth cooking some more at home, some don't even eat. The staff do a good job trying to maintain orders and are coming under increasing unnecessary jibes. With quicker service, it would make this humble squire happier.

You on the sauce already?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think the guys who were doing the catering at withdean do some of the racing venues and are serving more meals than the amex 1901 are selling,and i have been told the system is alot smoother than the amex.Shame they didn't get the contract at the amex,Albion fans as well:blush:

This.

Twice they have gone for it, and twice they have failed,I know the reasons, and won't say why, but Barber needs to sort it out

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Took my mum the other day v Burnley to the Amex. She ordered a veggie pie and got given chicken balti , went back to exchange it and was then given a chicken and ham pie. She ended up just asking for her money back. Wrote to the club about it almost 2 weeks ago now and still no reply.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Yes He has a point - and several good examples of why the Amex is expensive and I now don't eat or drink their either. As someone else has already mentioned there are alternative and better meal deal offers on the way to the ground and less waiting time usually as well. I have been forced by the Coldean parking permit scheme to buy a share of a Uni parking space this season and my pre-match pie and pint routine has been scuppered. I now eat before I leave home and wait for my evening meal until I get home again and have a pint or two at my leisure.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I have no experience of eating a 'proper' meal at The Amex or the Withdean, but I know that I can get a burger and a bottle of pepsi for £6.50 at the Amex while I can get a burger, chips and a drink for less en route

Of course you can. Would you expect anything different?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I've had a proper sit down meal at the Amex and it was fantastic. The staff were friendly and polite and as far as I could tell perfectly capable of doing their jobs!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If any of you are good at football I suggest you become a player.

The food in the players lounge is FREE and it's lovely.

Hope that helps. x

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
When someone asks for a pint of frothers and they get told that it has run out, then they walk off swearing not wanting to try a very good Sussex brew, then I have no sympathy for them

So basically, if they don't like the same things that you do then they aren't a worthy customer. Lucky the club don't see it that way eh?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be honest I don't reckon they play very good football at my local restaurant, so I do get a little surprised when people think they are going to get high quality food at a football stadium :shrug:

I know that is a bit flippant but I reckon there is a point in there somewhere and to me the constant moaning about this does start to grate.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He has a very good point. Whether Barber likes it or not the offering has to be seen as good value when compared to other places. I'm not by any means saying cheaper - we all know there's a premium to pay to eat at a venue effectively setup to cater on 30 ish days of the year. That said £95 plus say £40 for the ticket seems VERY steep when you consider you can stay at Ockenden Manor in Cuckfield, a country hotel with Michelin star restaurant for a night with dinner and breakfast thrown in for £105 a person ( including use of the spa ). I know it's not apples with apples but the Albion are taking the piss a little.

I had a meal at jean Georges in New York last week which is a 3* michelin restaurant .... $38 (around £26) for 2 courses.

The food is rubbish and the price is silly at the Amex and I don't know how many times the club needs to be told before they finally wake up !!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here