Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC. Can YOU tell stupid Mejona what is wrong with my car?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hello.

Firstly, I don't KNOW what I'm talking about about cars (or most other things), so I was hoping you could help me (i'm that desperate).

Driving my car to work today and I pulled up to the traffic lights. Clutch down, try to select first, thought I had it, went to pull away, car stalls. I was in third.

Silly me, I thought, Let's try again. Nope. Gear stick does NOT want to be seen near first. Fine, I thought. Let's give second a go. No way Jose. It felt like there was a wall there. So I rolled the car off the road.

In the end I discovered I could do what felt like reverse (push the gear stick down and go far left) and that would do first.

So I set off for work, eventually losing first, second, fourth, fifth and reverse. Cruised it to work doing hill starts in 3rd and eventually to the safety of the work car park.

So, NSC, after that stupidly long and needless story, I ask, what's happened? The gears I could get were fine and nothing went bang. It was just the physical mechanism of moving the gearstick which had gone LIMP. Am I correct in hoping this is SIMPLES to fix and CHEAPO.

TA. x

Could just be the linkage, happened to me once and a Very Nice Man from the AA fixed it with cable ties.

Cost about £50 to have it repaired properly when I finally got round to it about 4 months later.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
clutch gone :thumbsup:

actually could just be a cable.......are you in Green Flag or summat?
Could be worth joining if you can.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Could just be the linkage, happened to me once and a Very Nice Man from the AA fixed it with cable ties.

Cost about £50 to have it repaired properly when I finally got round to it about 4 months later.

This seems to be the response i'm reading most. Thank you for replying.

Did it take long to fix?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hello.

Firstly, I don't KNOW what I'm talking about about cars (or most other things), so I was hoping you could help me (i'm that desperate).

Driving my car to work today and I pulled up to the traffic lights. Clutch down, try to select first, thought I had it, went to pull away, car stalls. I was in third.

Silly me, I thought, Let's try again. Nope. Gear stick does NOT want to be seen near first. Fine, I thought. Let's give second a go. No way Jose. It felt like there was a wall there. So I rolled the car off the road.

In the end I discovered I could do what felt like reverse (push the gear stick down and go far left) and that would do first.

So I set off for work, eventually losing first, second, fourth, fifth and reverse. Cruised it to work doing hill starts in 3rd and eventually to the safety of the work car park.

So, NSC, after that stupidly long and needless story, I ask, what's happened? The gears I could get were fine and nothing went bang. It was just the physical mechanism of moving the gearstick which had gone LIMP. Am I correct in hoping this is SIMPLES to fix and CHEAPO.

TA. x

Could be your selector linkage alignment is out or damaged given you can select some gears but not others.

You'll need a garage to look at it though to assess it, which may need some stripping down.

....I see Hillian beat me to it....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ah, that'll be your bilateral trundles mate, the flagwheel's gone topwise so obviously get the clagnuts and spin them until they're 4mm (no further!). Once you've done that you could add a RF-60 if you wanted to lock it right down, but that's optional, as you know with RFs they lose their durability after 2,000 miles or so. Actually, a K-75 might be a better bet. Do you find the crankpin pulls across a bit on long journeys? Or have you got an STV to link? If not I'd get one on there sharpish otherwise the flybelt'll knock the sandpart right out of whack, but you know that, you're not an idiot.

That'll be £2,000. Cheers mate.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Could be your selector linkage alignment is out or damaged given you can select some gears but not others.

Thanks.

The gears I could select were changing constantly. In thge end I didn't even take it out of 3rd as I didnt know if I'd ever get it back! Certainly felt like a template (im so sorry, I dont know what im talking about) or something was shifting and thus blocking slots from each second to second.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ah, that'll be your bilateral trundles mate, the flagwheel's gone topwise so obviously get the clagnuts and spin them until they're 4mm (no further!). Once you've done that you could add a RF-60 if you wanted to lock it right down, but that's optional, as you know with RFs they lose their durability after 2,000 miles or so. Actually, a K-75 might be a better bet. Do you find the crankpin pulls across a bit on long journeys? Or have you got an STV to link? If not I'd get one on there sharpish otherwise the flybelt'll knock the sandpart right out of whack, but you know that, you're not an idiot.

that.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant

This would appear to be a very knowledgable and technical response, and worth ever penny

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ah, that'll be your bilateral trundles mate, the flagwheel's gone topwise so obviously get the clagnuts and spin them until they're 4mm (no further!).

:( That's what my mate Barry the Mechanic also said. He said he'd do it for £1999 though so I think you're having me on with that price.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

^^^ Genuinely what mechanic speak sounds like to me.

Why do mechanics...

A> Assume that I'm an ALPHA male who knows loads about cars?
B> Even give a shit?

In my job I'd never go straight into the nuts and bolts, technical details without checking to see if they were even remotely interested. They pay me to know about "what's under the bonnet", they don't give a shit so long as what I'm doing for them works.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I don't suppose you know what make and model the car is?

This seems to be the response i'm reading most. Thank you for replying.

Did it take long to fix?

No Idea how long it took to be honest, one of my best mates is a mechanic, he picks my car up and drops it off when he's finished.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
just remember every time the mechanic sucks his teen, that will put another £50 on the bill.

Does sound like the selector unit. Depending on the car, two hours to fit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here