Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Academy question...

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Whilst all the hectic merry go round of the transfer window warms down anyone thought that all this could be less important to us in the future as we get nearer to our academy being built?

In a years time we will have a world class set up which will be attracting top class young talent to the Amex, in fact it already has started with captures of talent from overseas and other premier league clubs. There would be nothing better than seeing our first team playing in the Premier League with 7-8 home grown players who actually want to play and fight for this club.

Anyway my point of all this is how do you see the next 4-5 years develop for us as a club? Are we destined for the top or is it always going to be the billionaires club gaining the success?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Anyway my point of all this is how do you see the next 4-5 years develop for us as a club? Are we destined for the top or is it always going to be the billionaires club gaining the success?

The top will always be an embarrassment of riches. If someone who isn't that rich breaks it up a bit, chances are they'll all just spend more and the following year it'll be back to normal.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That's the idea - develop our own talent who know how to play the way the club wants to play. We will always need transfers, but we will be a little less reliant on it in the long term and with a bit of luck, we will develop the next Gareth Bale.

Are we destined for the top? That I doubt (not the very top anyway - certainly an established Premier League club in time), but I cannot see football being a billionaires club forever and something has got to give eventually. As long as the club is run sensibly and our dependence upon TB putting his hand in his pocket diminishes over time, the academy produces technically good, young talent, then the future is bright. We just need to be patient.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Unless footyball loses it's "glamour" status, then it will always draw in the mega-rich who want a football team as their play thing. That therefore means the top end of the Premiership is an exclusive club for the Worlds extremely rich.

If, one day, they all decide they want to buy a Grand Prix team, or an NFL team, or some European League sells it's soul to allow the rich owners to do exactly as they please, with no FFP restrictions, or squad sizes, or relegation, they maybe they'll all converge on that League (Russia?). But until then the top of teh Premiership only gets shaken up when a new mega-rich owner walks into town. Exciting, eh? "Best League in the World"? zzzzz

So, our future, is that we could become a Swansea / Stoke / Fulham, as mid-table furniture in the Premiership. With our stadium, catchment area, and academy, that's perfectly possible ..... unless we reach a stage where there are 15 multi-billionaire owners in the Prem, and therefore, the rest are merely scrapping for survival.

The other option, is that we become the target for the next Billionaire wanting to come into English football.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Unless footyball loses it's "glamour" status, then it will always draw in the mega-rich who want a football team as their play thing. That therefore means the top end of the Premiership is an exclusive club for the Worlds extremely rich.

If, one day, they all decide they want to buy a Grand Prix team, or an NFL team, or some European League sells it's soul to allow the rich owners to do exactly as they please, with no FFP restrictions, or squad sizes, or relegation, they maybe they'll all converge on that League (Russia?). But until then the top of teh Premiership only gets shaken up when a new mega-rich owner walks into town. Exciting, eh? "Best League in the World"? zzzzz

So, our future, is that we could become a Swansea / Stoke / Fulham, as mid-table furniture in the Premiership. With our stadium, catchment area, and academy, that's perfectly possible ..... unless we reach a stage where there are 15 multi-billionaire owners in the Prem, and therefore, the rest are merely scrapping for survival.

The other option, is that we become the target for the next Billionaire wanting to come into English football.

Good points & last one is an exciting fear tbh

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think we will do well to remain a top half championship club . The league is littered with teams who have spent years not making the prem . The academy is quality and hopefully can safe guard our future but I don't think it will give us short term momentum like moving to the Amex did . Last season was our best chance and it will get harder over time as the early signs of this season have shown .

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Still playing catch up I'm afraid. Leicester have a Category 1 academy, we have a building site. A very impressive building site, but some way to go to compete.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I feel our future within the next decade is certainly to establish ourselves as a club that will be a secure mid table Premiership side and who knows what riches await us if a serious money man or men get involved. Of course it could all go horribly wrong. But I know we have a very shrewd business man as Chairman. :)

As for the academy, top talent will be attracted. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here