Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgin Media problem!!!!

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Any of you guys been getting a problem with VM when, especially in the evenings, I keep getting "Limited Access".

So, instead of a wireless connection, I then have to plug in the yellow cable.

Have been in touch with VM four times in past month and every time they said it would be right. Doesn't help my patience when I have to say "pardon" after every question or instruction, if you get my drift.:nono:

Strange thing is I have had VM for a few years without problem up until now.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Strange thing is that when I check my connection status with Limited Access there are always one or two local Sky connections showing. Again, VM say they won't affect my access, but it is all a bit coincidental.
I am in Westdene.

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
I had a similar problem

I have a flat roof and my cable runs from the front of the house to the back going across the roof, this leaves it exposed to direct sun light.... this can cause the gel in the cable to dry out and become brittle over time, therefore the cable overheats and causes ur reception to decrease or be intermittent

So if u have cable exposed to sun light on any part of ur house this could be the problem....virgin came and replaced the cable although I had to get up on the roof and pass it to them as they said they wouldn't go up there due to new health and safety laws that were not in place when they 1st fitted the cable

hope this helps

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I had a similar problem

I have a flat roof and my cable runs from the front of the house to the back going across the roof, this leaves it exposed to direct sun light.... this can cause the gel in the cable to dry out and become brittle over time, therefore the cable overheats and causes ur reception to decrease or be intermittent

So if u have cable exposed to sun light on any part of ur house this could be the problem....virgin came and replaced the cable although I had to get up on the roof and pass it to them as they said they wouldn't go up there due to new health and safety laws that were not in place when they 1st fitted the cable

hope this helps

Think my answer is to get VM engineer out to the house to check everything. Am fed up keep phoning foreign lands.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Any of you guys been getting a problem with VM when, especially in the evenings, I keep getting "Limited Access".

Have been in touch with VM four times in past month and every time they said it would be right. Doesn't help my patience when I have to say "pardon" after every question or instruction, if you get my drift.:nono:

This is a WiFi problem. If you can plug a cable in and it works okay, then this looks like WiFi interference. If you have admin access to your router, you can try changing some of your settings, or just eliminate your neighbours one by one until you find the source of the interference.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
This is a WiFi problem. If you can plug a cable in and it works okay, then this looks like WiFi interference. If you have admin access to your router, you can try changing some of your settings, or just eliminate your neighbours one by one until you find the source of the interference.

Exactly this. The WiFi chip in the Virgin router doesn't seem all that great. Since putting a decent Netgear router into the equation my WiFi is a lot more consistent and has much better range.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Exactly this. The WiFi chip in the Virgin router doesn't seem all that great. Since putting a decent Netgear router into the equation my WiFi is a lot more consistent and has much better range.

The latest model is supposed to be much improved, but I think you need to upgrade to the 100 Mbs service to receive one of these right now.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Careful... There are people on here who will accuse you of being a racist.:whistle:

Flumpyj

Mar 3, 2009
Get the same problem with the Virgin broadband here in Hollingbury,im on the 60mb service. rebooting the router sometimes helps other times it can be an hour or two. But it is much better than the sky broadband I used to have 3mb if I was lucky.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If you want to do the techie thing and take a look at what is going on this free app can help.

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Free versions available for various operating systems. This app should show you your WiFi and all others in range. Look for other routers broadcasting on the same chanel

If you just want to try and get it working better. Connect to your router with the cable, login and change the channel you are using for WiFi. You may have to reboot the router and re-enter the SSID password on all your devices. You will also need to make sure that all WiFi devices are set to auto channel. The newest routers support dual frequency and can auto-switch to better avoid interference.

Jul 7, 2003
I spoke to someone at VM when changing my deal with them recently. They admit that there is a known issue with the original super hubs that can cause slow connections but these are resolved with the SuperHub2. I'm due to get a replacement hub in a couple of weeks time so hopefully I will get more speed (albeit my son will probably take it all with his xBox!)

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
If you want to do the techie thing and take a look at what is going on this free app can help.

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Free versions available for various operating systems. This app should show you your WiFi and all others in range. Look for other routers broadcasting on the same chanel

If you just want to try and get it working better. Connect to your router with the cable, login and change the channel you are using for WiFi. You may have to reboot the router and re-enter the SSID password on all your devices. You will also need to make sure that all WiFi devices are set to auto channel. The newest routers support dual frequency and can auto-switch to better avoid interference.

This is what I am getting annoyed about. I phone VM tech. support who tell me to reboot which I do. They then take control of my screen, alter settings, passwords and gawd knows what else. They then say problem solved.
Yes, everything works fine, until the next day when "Limited Access" starts again. Last week they said they would monitor the situation and get back to me when the problem shows up on their system. Well, it has happened about 3 times since then and guess what, not a peep from them. My current router is a Netgear but not sure what model.
Really think I need to get local Virgin engineers to check equipment, pay a b****y fortune to them each month.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This is what I am getting annoyed about. I phone VM tech. support who tell me to reboot which I do. They then take control of my screen, alter settings, passwords and gawd knows what else. They then say problem solved.
Yes, everything works fine, until the next day when "Limited Access" starts again. Last week they said they would monitor the situation and get back to me when the problem shows up on their system. Well, it has happened about 3 times since then and guess what, not a peep from them. My current router is a Netgear but not sure what model.
Really think I need to get local Virgin engineers to check equipment, pay a b****y fortune to them each month.

I have some sympathy for the engineers, when the problem is intermittent. I thought all their routers were Virgin branded now. It might be worth asking them if they will supply a new one. If you are stuck reconfiguring your existing router. Try using the tool I recommended. Run it when you are having problems and again after the Virgin engineers have made their changes. WiFi can get deeply technical, but the things you are looking for here, are relatively straightforward. There are around 15 channels available and you want to void the ones your neighbours are using during the evenings.

In my experience most telecomms companies give you a crap wireless network generator which is prone to interfere and be interfered with by all of the surrounding wifi networks. Buy a new cheap one on Amazon would be my recommendation.

When we moved to our current place a year ago with BT I noticed that if I had more than 3 devices trying to use the Wifi it would suddenly drop out, then devices would re-connect but with no internet access. I spent ages on the phone to BT trying to get them to sort it but they couldn't (because the fundamental problem was the wifi generator was a bit shit). I ended up buying a new network generator (a first generation version of this, for around the same price) and have had absolutely no problems since.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

The latest model is supposed to be much improved, but I think you need to upgrade to the 100 Mbs service to receive one of these right now.

I got upgraded recently to the super speed hub with wireless router built in, however I had previously been using my Apple Extreme basestation for wireless which has always been great. Despite the Extreme being 5 years old, the engineer said that if it had been working okay, better to use that than the super hub as he didn't believe it was that brilliant.

This seems to be the same with what halpro has experienced upgrading to a Netgear router.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I got upgraded recently to the super speed hub with wireless router built in, however I had previously been using my Apple Extreme basestation for wireless which has always been great. Despite the Extreme being 5 years old, the engineer said that if it had been working okay, better to use that than the super hub as he didn't believe it was that brilliant.

This seems to be the same with what halpro has experienced upgrading to a Netgear router.

Was it because

Answer A - It is Apple and ergo better than anything else that will ever be produced.

Answer B - The engineer was in a hurry and didn't want to waste any time pissing about with your wireless.

Anyone looking to buy a Wireless router, should look for one that supports 802.11ac. This is not just because this is the fastest standard right now, it is also less prone to interference, making it more reliable.

Test and comparison information http://www.itproportal.com/2013/07/27/80211ac-wireless-router-group-test-7-models-benchmarked/

Details on the Virgin Super Hub

http://www.trustedreviews.com/virgin-media-new-super-hub_Peripheral_review

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here