Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone been to any big scottish games

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
having been to most grounds now,im going to fly up and watch celtic (mark of the list)in a few weeks,any advice would be great if any of the scottish bha read this,looking at flying up and back same day

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Take a massive union jack

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Motherwell v Dundee Utd 91 Cup Final Hearts v Airdrie Cup Semi Final 95 Celtic V Airdrie 95 Cup Final Airdrie v Rangers League Cup Semi 98 and many others .Watch your Beer content before the game as the Polis can give you grief for it .For Celtic have a beer in the city as the Eastend is an utter cesspit.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Been to a few Celtic matches in my time. Celtic V Rangers is as big as they come in my opinion. You can see why supporters of other Scottish teams refer to them as the 'ugly sisters'! Enjoy your trip.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My advice is to get a cab from the city centre to Celtic Park as late as possible before kick off, and to get out of the East End as soon as you can after the match, if not sooner. It really is frighteningly grim.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
cheers everyone,and hans,how far is it from the centre to celtic park,bearing in mind im flying

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
My advice is to get a cab from the city centre to Celtic Park as late as possible before kick off, and to get out of the East End as soon as you can after the match, if not sooner. It really is frighteningly grim.
The only place i've ever been where the off licence was caged off ,you had to order your beer through a hatch,followed by a 2mile walk through some of the roughest housing schemes in Britain.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've really enjoyed the games attended in Scotland.

Been to Celtic Park, as HKFC says, especially if you've got an English accent, there really isn't much to make you want to stay long before or after the match. But it's an amazing ground, and one to tick off.

Seen Rangers at Inverness, and basically Rangers and Celtic away anywhere even the Highlands will guarantee a good atmosphere because of the sheer number of away fans.

And also everyone's favourite club Partick Thistle (the one to say you support if approached by a drunk Glaswegian of uncertain religion).

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
You wont get a cab.... Just walk or get a bus, it's not too bad! some people need to man up!

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Motherwell v Dundee Utd 91 Cup Final Hearts v Airdrie Cup Semi Final 95 Celtic V Airdrie 95 Cup Final Airdrie v Rangers League Cup Semi 98 and many others .Watch your Beer content before the game as the Polis can give you grief for it .For Celtic have a beer in the city as the Eastend is an utter cesspit.

1960 Airdrie v Rangers. Small ground then not much bigger than Culver Road(Lancings ground). I was a 16yr old blue eyed boy who had supported BHA since 1954 and stood on the chicken run at the back and clapped when we played well. So you can imagine how surprised I was when I saw the state of the fans who were guzzling it down one end and peeing it out over terraces the other end, and cursing the whole match. Fortunately there were not too many of them. I don't recall seeing any stewards or police.
This is the only match I've been to in Scotland.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
1960 Airdrie v Rangers. Small ground then not much bigger than Culver Road(Lancings ground). I was a 16yr old blue eyed boy who had supported BHA since 1954 and stood on the chicken run at the back and clapped when we played well. So you can imagine how surprised I was when I saw the state of the fans who were guzzling it down one end and peeing it out over terraces the other end, and cursing the whole match. Fortunately there were not too many of them. I don't recall seeing any stewards or police.
This is the only match I've been to in Scotland.
The old Broomfield many happy times spent there ,now Airdrie play in a souless Stadium.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It's not particularly nice around Celtic Park, but even with an English accent it's not at all unsafe or dodgy.

I'd walk out to the ground from the city centre (Argyle Street then Gallowgate) and back - it's so busy at the ground that I'd say getting a cab back to the city centre is probably harder and would take longer than walking. Nice pub as you leave the city centre called the Toll Booth, and then plenty of Celtic pubs on the way to the ground from there. As others have said, they're not particularly nice but you won't have any hassle.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Been to a few games in Scotland, mainly Rangers. Biggest was Rangers v Celtic at Ibrox, nastiest was Hibs v Hearts. Most recent was the CIS cup final for Rangers v St Mirren when Rangers won 1-0 with just 9 men on the park (March 2010)

I like Glasgow for a few beers, usually end up in Dows bar near Queen Street Station as easy to get a taxi or train elsewhere.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
You could listen to Billy Connolly's 'football violence' joke just to set the scene.................and whet your appetite for the catering at the match.

Must be on Youtube somewhere.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Went to Hibs v Hearts at Easter Road last year. Brilliantly aggressive but the stadium was half full.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here