Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Printer/iPad advice

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Good afternoon. I have two questions to put to the collective wisdom of NSC.

First, can anybody recommend a reliable, cheap printer? Would like it to do all the normal stuff (including scanning and photocopying) without breaking down every ten minutes like my last printer. I would also like to be able to print from an iPad.

Second, is there any way I can plug my iPod into the iPad? I'm sure there's a very simple answer here, but at the moment I can't work out how to do it. I'm not great with computers so any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why would you want to plug your iPod into your iPad? What are you actually trying to do?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Why would you want to plug your iPod into your iPad? What are you actually trying to do?

iPad isn't mine. Owner uses it as her computer. Has an itunes account which she has on there, and would like to be able to get the podcasts/music etc onto an iPod (which she bought before the iPad) in order to listen on the move.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Good afternoon. I have two questions to put to the collective wisdom of NSC.

First, can anybody recommend a reliable, cheap printer? Would like it to do all the normal stuff (including scanning and photocopying) without breaking down every ten minutes like my last printer. I would also like to be able to print from an iPad.

Second, is there any way I can plug my iPod into the iPad? I'm sure there's a very simple answer here, but at the moment I can't work out how to do it. I'm not great with computers so any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

I have a great printer for sale Kodak 5250 cheap to run too cartridge wise.
PM me if you likey perfect condition I'm just a gadget man and bought new one that faxes too !!!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can't she subscribe to the same podcasts through the podcast app on her iPod? I can on my iPod touch.

If you want to print from your iPad, you need to make sure the printer has AirPrint. Other printers might work with third party apps, but are not always reliable. My epson doesn't print from my iPad with either epson app.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Can't she subscribe to the same podcasts through the podcast app on her iPod? I can on my iPod touch.

If you want to print from your iPad, you need to make sure the printer has AirPrint. Other printers might work with third party apps, but are not always reliable. My epson doesn't print from my iPad with either epson app.

Thanks Acker; will look out for the AirPrint app. I'm not sure she can do that with this iPod; think it's a fairly old one. Thanks anyway.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thanks Acker; will look out for the AirPrint app. I'm not sure she can do that with this iPod; think it's a fairly old one. Thanks anyway.

Airprint isn't an app, so much as a feature of ipads and later generation ipod touches and iphones that allows you to print without installing drivers. It is also a necessary feature on the printers themselves (if the printer doesn't have airprint you might be able to use a third party app instead). The article below contains a list of airprint printers.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Airprint isn't an app, so much as a feature of ipads and later generation ipod touches and iphones that allows you to print without installing drivers. It is also a necessary feature on the printers themselves (if the printer doesn't have airprint you might be able to use a third party app instead). The article below contains a list of airprint printers.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

Great stuff, thanks.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just tested the updated epson app I have, and it did work this time! (I have so many wireless devices around the house that some occasionally get knocked off the network, apparently, so that doesn't help me) so third party apps might be more reliable than I first suggested.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
iPad isn't mine. Owner uses it as her computer. Has an itunes account which she has on there, and would like to be able to get the podcasts/music etc onto an iPod (which she bought before the iPad) in order to listen on the move.

You need to set up Home Sharing on both devices. Go into settings, tap music, then set up Home Sharing with the same Apple ID or iTunes account. The two devices can then share the content over a wifi network.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I am an Apple ignoramus and it took me about 5 minutes to get an ipad working with an oldish Canon Wireless printer MP640.

Two steps

1 Check network settings on the printer, make sure Wifi is working and turn on Bonjour.
2 Go to Itunes find a printing app install and discover printer.

If this does not work repeat step 2 and try another app.
Maybe I just got lucky

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here