Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

players who were better at international level than club level?

Oct 25, 2003
can you think of any players that have been more suited to international football than club football?

Davor Suker
Miroslav Klose
Lukas Podolski
Landon Donovan
David Healy

any more?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Hakan Şükür

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Joe Cole always used to perform better for England than club. Possibly Rio Ferdinand back in the day as well.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Mertesacker arguably? 100 german caps. Clearly a good defender....but ONE HUNDRED caps must suggest they LOVE him.

Fernando Torres. Always scores for Spain.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Wayne Rooney at the moment.

I would agree with this - I would go so far to say that Rooney has been better for England than Manchester United for the last 2 seasons.

Surely the ultimate England player must be Peter Crouch - OK at club level, lethal at international level.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Paulo Futre, Georghe Haji (sp?), Gica Popescu, John Sivabaek (though was he a Danish international when he went to Manchester United?), Nico Claesen.

It's the same in cricket to a certain extent: Bob Willis didn't exactly distinguish himself for Warwickshire, but was consistently excellent for England, and England stars when released back to their counties rarely do that well - our own Matt Prior is a case in point. I can also remember several West Indian bowlers devastating England, but when playing for counties putting in very sub-standard performances - Patrick Patterson, who England found unplayable on one tour, was distinctly ordinary for Lancashire and the same applied to Winston Davis and Curtly Ambrose when playing for Northamptonshire, though Curtly's performances were transformed when the Northants captain (I can't remember who) changed him from a deep fielder to a slip fielder.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here