Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Beer Guide 2014

Dandyman

In London village.
The official CAMRA bible has now been issued and the following may be of interest to the fine folk of NSC:

Brighton & Hove - Basketmakers, Battle of Trafalgar, Constant Service, Craft Beer Co., Evening Star, Lord Nelson Inn, Mitre Tavern, Prestonville Arms, Prince George, Pump House, Reservoir.

Falmer - Swan Inn.

Lewes - Brewers Arms, Elephant & Castle, Gardner's Arms, John Harvey Tavern, Lewes Arms, Lewes Constitutional Club, Snowdrop Inn.

One or two that I think people might question in Brighton but always nice to see Lewes confirmed as a beer drinkers Mecca.

Dandyman

In London village.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
From a beer point of view most if not all are really good, however the Lewes constitutional club really? I know that they are helpful in getting potential drinkers signed in as temporary members etc. but why bother? Put it in the Good constitutional guide by all means but the GBG never.

Dandyman

In London village.
Is the GBG still relevant?

IMO, yes. Unlike some guides the recommendations come from beer lovers rather than being paid for. There are some inclusions that I would question and you can spot the type of "office politics" that you get in any organisation but both the guide and CAMRA are part of what I would regard as the cultural identity of many of us.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The GBG is about the beer, the quality, the way it is stored and dispensed is critical, if you use CO2 blankets, you won't get in, if you sell only bright beer you won't get in, however, if you serve real ale, properly (in their opinion) then you can be nominated, if your beer is deemed good enough, you'll get in. It makes no odds if the pub is a shithouse, or if it's a Constitutional Club, or in a rough part of town, it is only about the beer. If you are looking for a good pub, then look in the Good Pub Guide, they'll list a pub regardless of whether the beer is any good, so long as the correct application form is completed.

It even seems now that you can list your pub, for free, on their website, there seems to be no criteria, no inspection, I guess you just tell them you are a good pub, and hey presto they put you in their directory.

Dandyman

In London village.
The GBG is about the beer, the quality, the way it is stored and dispensed is critical, if you use CO2 blankets, you won't get in, if you sell only bright beer you won't get in, however, if you serve real ale, properly (in their opinion) then you can be nominated, if your beer is deemed good enough, you'll get in. It makes no odds if the pub is a shithouse, or if it's a Constitutional Club, or in a rough part of town, it is only about the beer. If you are looking for a good pub, then look in the Good Pub Guide, they'll list a pub regardless of whether the beer is any good, so long as the correct application form is completed.

It even seems now that you can list your pub, for free, on their website, there seems to be no criteria, no inspection, I guess you just tell them you are a good pub, and hey presto they put you in their directory.

Spot on and why the Good Pub Guide is a waste of forests.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Good to see The Swan in there. As well as Nelson in Brighton. Both places I go to for pre match drinking.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Of the Brighton ones I'm not that familiar with a few (Constant Service, Mitre, Prestonville, Prince George & Reservoir) I'll make sure I give them a go at some point, I've heard good things about The Constant Service.

I love living near Brighton Station, it's so well served for ale. The Evening Star is my absolute favourite though, love the place & the beer is always great.

Did the Stanley Arms (Portslade) make it in?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Reservoir is a lovely little local pub, always has some interesting beers on and does nice Thai food in the evening and a very good Sunday roast to boot.

Looking at the list of pubs in the Lewes section, how many of those are Harvey's pubs I wonder ? It could well be a duplication of the irrelevant as if you can't find a pint of Harveys in Lewes where could you ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Reservoir is a lovely little local pub, always has some interesting beers on and does nice Thai food in the evening and a very good Sunday roast to boot.

Looking at the list of pubs in the Lewes section, how many of those are Harvey's pubs I wonder ? It could well be a duplication of the irrelevant as if you can't find a pint of Harveys in Lewes where could you ?

I've just been on the website & want to go now, it looks great, it's pretty much round the corner from The Constant Service isn't it?

Dandyman

In London village.
Of the Brighton ones I'm not that familiar with a few (Constant Service, Mitre, Prestonville, Prince George & Reservoir) I'll make sure I give them a go at some point, I've heard good things about The Constant Service.

I love living near Brighton Station, it's so well served for ale. The Evening Star is my absolute favourite though, love the place & the beer is always great.

Stanley Arms is in. The Star is proof that even a Skate can run a decent pub.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

The Prince George is not far from you - at the bottom of Trafalgar Street.

Some of the pubs on the Brighton list are fine, but some are a bit random. The Mitre might serve decent ale, but it still scares me.

Dandyman

In London village.
The Prince George is not far from you - at the bottom of Trafalgar Street.

Some of the pubs on the Brighton list are fine, but some are a bit random. The Mitre might serve decent ale, but it still scares me.

At least one of the Brighton pubs is a nice place but frequently serves terrible beer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've just been on the website & want to go now, it looks great, it's pretty much round the corner from The Constant Service isn't it?

Yes, not far but I get confused as to which road off Elm Grove it is sometimes.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

You see it should not just be about real ale.

If the pub does not offer decent cider and decent continental lager (I mean German / Czech type stuff), it should not be listed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here