Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Logs for a wood burner. Any recommendations?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The perfect thread to sum up why I love NSC.

Do we sell out 2 bests assets to palace?
Do we sell Barnes to Burnley?
Is KLL staying?
Will Vicente come back?
Where can I get some logs from on one of the hottest days of the year?

Quality work Rogero, I love it.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
i recommend that the logs are dry, and are placed upon kindling.

more serious recommendation is the pine is cheap and burns hot and quick, but oak is the king and burn long and super hot.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
For Brighton area please.

lumberjack.jpg

could do a job?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
For Brighton area please.

I'd check out some of the places where you can take your bags and fill them yourself (assuming you have access to a car), there's a place between Hassocks and B Hill, they have a sign out on the A283 when they've got logs, and if you go out of season they will do, or there's Muddleswood farm just after Singing Hills. Am sure there's others more local, but I've used those.

The reason I suggest getting your own is that you can select the right size for your burner - Our is not particularly small, but the stuff that gets delivered is generally too big to burn properly unless in an open fire or a big wood burner. Hope that helps.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I'd check out some of the places where you can take your bags and fill them yourself (assuming you have access to a car), there's a place between Hassocks and B Hill, they have a sign out on the A283 when they've got logs, and if you go out of season they will do, or there's Muddleswood farm just after Singing Hills. Am sure there's others more local, but I've used those.

The reason I suggest getting your own is that you can select the right size for your burner - Our is not particularly small, but the stuff that gets delivered is generally too big to burn properly unless in an open fire or a big wood burner. Hope that helps.
Thanks for that but I want a cubic metre which weighs about half a ton. It is difficult in my small booted car so I would really prefer a delivery. There are quite a few suppliers around but they vary in quality.

pintsawhiskey

Apr 17, 2010
bn1
Hi had 2 cubic meters delivered yesterday, £80 he came from pulbrough, oak, very good quality, all dry and seasoned, nick chap too got some cards of him as alwYs hard to find a good source, if u want his num let me know

pintsawhiskey

Apr 17, 2010
bn1

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hi had 2 cubic meters delivered yesterday, £80 he came from pulbrough, oak, very good quality, all dry and seasoned, nick chap too got some cards of him as alwYs hard to find a good source, if u want his num let me know ps he delivered mine to hove.
Here's his eBay link. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seasoned-..._Fireplace_Fuel_and_Parts&hash=item4ac8df2241 nice fella, I got 2 of them big bags £80 just bell him he pop em round
I pay £85 for a big bag so will be having a close look at that link...

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Was driving along and saw some being delivered to a house about a week ago and it was an even hotter day than today. The logs were stacked on a trailer and advertised on the side at £60 a go. £60 for a bit of tree! I nearly crashed the car.

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
We get ours from www.fourseasonsfuel.co.uk £90 for 1.6 cubic m of dry hardwood loose logs. Always burn well and free local delivery although not sure how far that extends (they are based in coneyhurst, near Billingshurst, west Sussex.

Yes, I've given up with transfers ....

pintsawhiskey

Apr 17, 2010
bn1
I pay £85 for a big bag so will be having a close look at that link...

Tried loads over the years and they have been shit, don't burn, spit, or burn tarie!! These look good all sorts of sizes, we onlymhave a small open fire so they are perfect

All oak, small but need them like that as we have a small open grate, all bone dry tho, rang him Sunday morning popped straight round

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Tried loads over the years and they have been shit, don't burn, spit, or burn tarie!! These look good all sorts of sizes, we onlymhave a small open fire so they are perfect

All oak, small but need them like that as we have a small open grate, all bone dry tho, rang him Sunday morning popped straight round
Cheers. I'm in Eastbourne which is 10 miles beyond his normal delivery range but maybe thanks to NSC he'll get a few punters from over this way and consider it worth the extra miles...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Friends of mine have a place in France and they have a wood burner like most of the locals, local wood is always Beech. There is a lot of coppicing in the area and they are close to The Bocage which is made of coppiced Beech. Best logs are those about the thickness of a mans arm.After being seasoned for a year they burn perfectly, not too fast and no spitting like coniferous wood. Trouble is, we don't have a lot of Beech over here.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Friends of mine have a place in France and they have a wood burner like most of the locals, local wood is always Beech. There is a lot of coppicing in the area and they are close to The Bocage which is made of coppiced Beech. Best logs are those about the thickness of a mans arm.After being seasoned for a year they burn perfectly, not too fast and no spitting like coniferous wood. Trouble is, we don't have a lot of Beech over here.

image.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here