Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mice experts only please.

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

Just got back from hols and we have tell tale droppings and nibbled Cif bottles under the kitchen sink.

Now, the cupboard is unopenable from the inside ( its sucker locked for the kids) there is no evidence any where else in the house . Is it breeding season? Might it / they have cleared off, if they realised there is no food.

Will it/ they die in a few weeks anyway?

Should I blame Lucas or Southern water? (the latter have been poncing around with their water meters in the last week apparently)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Can't offer much help but currently have the same problem. Old Victorian town house with plenty of easy entry and egress points for the little googlers.

I'm leaving here in a couple of months and they generally do no harm but hearing them scamper around willy nilly in the middle of the night is a touch disconcerting.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Grown-up-cat.jpg

You called?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Set mouse traps with chocolate on them. Don't ignore them as they breed prolifically.

I heard this - mars bars over cheese any day of the week.

What gets to me is that they appear to be so random in what they'll nibble. As the OP said for him it's been Jiff bottles, and our menu appears to contain anything from bin liners to newspapers.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I heard this - mars bars over cheese any day of the week.

What gets to me is that they appear to be so random in what they'll nibble. As the OP said for him it's been Jiff bottles, and our menu appears to contain anything from bin liners to newspapers.

HB &B's mice are younger than yours they go for Cif

wendy's tackle

NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2004
East Dean, Eastbourne
Our cat brings in one or two mice a day, sometimes they get away under cupboards and such and can be hard to get hold of. Just buy a mouse trap, load it with peanut butter and place near where you see the mouse or its droppings. Give it up to 12 hours, job done every time. Quick, painless death for the mouse. Don't leave them, they can cause a lot of problems despite their rather sweet little faces.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If they are drinking Cif, get the fook out:-

6112029602_46e568671a_z.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Our cat brings in one or two mice a day, sometimes they get away under cupboards and such and can be hard to get hold of. Just buy a mouse trap, load it with peanut butter and place near where you see the mouse or its droppings. Give it up to 12 hours, job done every time. Quick, painless death for the mouse. Don't leave them, they can cause a lot of problems despite their rather sweet little faces.

That's exactly what our cat did. Usually they're dead when he brings them in, but one got away and escaped into a cupboard. It lasted just one day until we got the trap loaded.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sometimes their nibbling is just messy, but when they nibble through electrical wiring the cost of fixing can be a lot more than just a nuisance.
I turfed one out of my garage about 2 weeks ago, last Friday my spaniel [good nose] was showing an overly keen interest in a cardboard box, dug it out and found FIVE baby mice inside, probably only a few days old [still blind, bald and not able to walk].

Ignore at your peril .....

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We have caught eight of them in our larder the past couple of weeks. We use peanut butter and a humane mouse trap which means they have to wait a few hours until we get up, drive them a mile away to open countryside, and release them.

Seems a shame to kill them when they could live to fight another day, well away from our house. Or at least provide a tasty meal for an owl or other predator.

We did use chocolate as bait for a while but peanut butter seems much more effective.

wendy's tackle

NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2004
East Dean, Eastbourne
Peanut butter every time, I've tried loads of products but nothing works like peanut butter. Must admit I haven't tried chocolate, too good for mice. The dead mice get released at the bottom of our garden, where they're promptly picked up by birds for a good meal thereby completing the circle of life. I read somewhere that it's an offence the release live rodents, but that might be rubbish. I didn't find the humane traps worked very well and also they probably cause more stress to the mice than just killing them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Perhaps it is Lucas revenge............

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Peanut butter has always worked better than cheese when I've set traps.

If you think you have a nest of several and are thinking of calling the Council, tell them you have rats rather then mice. At one time, if they came out to sort a mice problem, they would charge. If rats, they used to do it free. I'm not sure if thats still the case though? Chances are, with all the cuts, it isn't.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sometimes their nibbling is just messy, but when they nibble through electrical wiring the cost of fixing can be a lot more than just a nuisance.
I turfed one out of my garage about 2 weeks ago, last Friday my spaniel [good nose] was showing an overly keen interest in a cardboard box, dug it out and found FIVE baby mice inside, probably only a few days old [still blind, bald and not able to walk].

Ignore at your peril .....

Mice haven't got any bladder control so they trail urine wherever they run.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Now, the cupboard is unopenable from the inside ( its sucker locked for the kids) there is no evidence any where else in the house .

Have I misunderstood something here? If the kids get in the cupboard, they're stuck in there to teach them a lesson?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
harry with a mouse.jpeg
harriet
small but very lethal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here