Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC Experts only please

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

I really don't know much about IT, so please talk to me in layman terms!

Windows 7 pc.

Switched on and screen comes up saying, "BIOS has been reset please describe how to continue",

Load optimised defaults then boot.

Load optimised defaults then reboot.

Enter BIOS

1) Why has it done this?

2) what do i do?

3) Will it do it again?

Thanks in advance.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Choose the second option. Certainly don't enter BIOS if you don't know what you're doing.
Did you lean on the keyboard when turning it on by any chance?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I really don't know much about IT, so please talk to me in layman terms!

Windows 7 pc.

Switched on and screen comes up saying, "BIOS has been reset please describe how to continue",

Load optimised defaults then boot.

Load optimised defaults then reboot.

Enter BIOS

1) Why has it done this?

2) what do i do?

3) Will it do it again?

Thanks in advance.

If it keeps doing it then it's either a dead or faulty CMOS battery (the little round battery on the motherboard) or a faulty bios chip/motherboard

Edit: Like the previous poster said, don't start playing with BIOS unless you know what you are doing.

D

Deleted member 2719

Choose the second option. Certainly don't enter BIOS if you don't know what you're doing.
Did you lean on the keyboard when turning it on by any chance?

If it keeps doing it then it's either a dead or faulty CMOS battery (the little round battery on the motherboard) or a faulty bios chip/motherboard

Edit: Like the previous poster said, don't start playing with BIOS unless you know what you are doing.

Ok guy's i should tell you the full story it's a brand new Novatech PC just started using it as we just moved to a new Business unit the PC was on the deck (it is a desktop type rather than tower) and we got a call an hour or so before setting out to the AMEX from our business neighbors saying that a water main had burst in their unit and it may have made it's way through to us, guess what it had 2 to 3 inches all through the office and pc and external hard drive.

So now you know that,

1) is it bu**er*d?
2) will it sort itself?
3) How long does carbon monoxide take to work?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Ok guy's i should tell you the full story it's a brand new Novatech PC just started using it as we just moved to a new Business unit the PC was on the deck (it is a desktop type rather than tower) and we got a call an hour or so before setting out to the AMEX from our business neighbors saying that a water main had burst in their unit and it may have made it's way through to us, guess what it had 2 to 3 inches all through the office and pc and external hard drive.

So now you know that,

1) is it bu**er*d?
2) will it sort itself?
3) How long does carbon monoxide take to work?

Ouch, nasty! Sounds like it's shorting out to me.... I would unplug everything from the PC, take the side of the case off and put it somewhere warm and dry (Like an airing cupboard if possible) and try it in a few days time when thoroughly dried out.

Would highly recommend you unplug everything as soon as possible though and not use until fully dried!

Edit: Same with your External HDD

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ok guy's i should tell you the full story it's a brand new Novatech PC

so call them about it. ok so water damage, but if you've got as far as it giving you anything, its not completely knacked. they can at least advise on how to restore it. likley the battery or somethign shorted out, so load the defaults as suggested and reboot. if its repeating (not said) put a hairdryer across it for 10 minutes to dry out.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Don't take the side off if its still under warranty - on desktops there are sensors that will tell the engineer you have done this self repair attempt.

If you suspect water damage, either call them out / take it back, or give it 24 hours somewhere warm to dry and then try again.
If fault persists, call in Novatech

D

Deleted member 2719

so call them about it. ok so water damage, but if you've got as far as it giving you anything, its not completely knacked. they can at least advise on how to restore it. likley the battery or somethign shorted out, so load the defaults as suggested and reboot. if its repeating (not said) put a hairdryer across it for 10 minutes to dry out.

I have done the hair dryer.

My main worry is we have spent a fair bit on putting our bespoke software on the new pc and i whether we will lose this if we have to reboot?

You're not having a lot of luck are you Paul !

Thanks Dave, at least Leo scored in the 89th min or i was contemplating singing bubbles in the millwall end!

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Have you tried swearing at it, loudly? :whistle:

Seriously though, good luck with it mate.

D

Deleted member 2719

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Thanks Tom, i like your style..................................not, may your pants be lined with deep heat.

Don't take the side off if its still under warranty - on desktops there are sensors that will tell the engineer you have done this self repair attempt.

If you suspect water damage, either call them out / take it back, or give it 24 hours somewhere warm to dry and then try again.
If fault persists, call in Novatech

Thanks i will call Novatech tomorrow, we really need it sorting in 4 to 5 hours as short staffed at the moment, we don't want to lose the data or the bespoke software is this recoverable from water damaged pc's?

D

Deleted member 2719

Have you tried swearing at it, loudly? :whistle:

Seriously though, good luck with it mate.
Tim stop it..........................your a very naughty boy.

Are you any good at sucking water out of carpet tiles?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Thanks Tom, i like your style..................................not, may your pants be lined with deep heat.

Thanks i will call Novatech tomorrow, we really need it sorting in 4 to 5 hours as short staffed at the moment, we don't want to lose the data or the bespoke software is this recoverable from water damaged pc's?

The hard disk is located inside the case - if it was fully submerged you may possibly have damaged the HDD. But if you've just some damp on the motherboard afecting the CMOS / BIOS battery power that may dry off.
The CMOS battery is usually the flat penny-washer type battery, and it could just be that the battery needs replacing which Novateck should be able to do very quickly and for no charge.
Are there any visible signs of water ingress?
If you are worried about software install loss - do you not have the source software to reinstall again - ie CD/ DVD or Internet download?

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I'm not, but I can recommend someone.

D

Deleted member 2719

The hard disk is located inside the case - if it was fully submerged you may possibly have damaged the HDD. But if you've just some damp on the motherboard afecting the CMOS / BIOS battery power that may dry off.
The CMOS battery is usually the flat penny-washer type battery, and it could just be that the battery needs replacing which Novateck should be able to do very quickly and for no charge.
Are there any visible signs of water ingress?
If you are worried about software install loss - do you not have the source software to reinstall again - ie CD/ DVD or Internet download?

When lifting the PC up and tipping it to one side water come out of the PC, we think the water had subsided by the time we got there it was on a slightly higher bit of ground so we only saw it sitting in half an inch of water but the paint work at the lower part of the office suggests it got up to 2 to 3 inches.
We can only get our main accounts package online, we have two other pieces of vital software that was remotely put on this PC so i really do wish to avoid losing them if at all possible.

What do you think?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i reckon it rather depends on the differnce between 2 and 3 inches. being a desktop, it could be the difference between the hardrive being wet or not. until you fire it up, you wont know if its OK though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here