Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone 70's Hothead

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Hello chums, haven't seen this story before so thought I would share it with you…..

Early 70s defo before the Rochdale game some match, don't know which one. I was standing 3-4 rows down from the main North Stand entrance, that would be the big hole in the corrugated iron, when a piece of paper lazily floated over my head. Now it was unusual to see any piece of newspaper in the North Stand but what made this even more unusual was it was on fire. It drifted down and alighted, pun intended, on some blokes head 6-7 rows in front of me just as it reached it's fullest conflagration.
Now there you are watching a game of football and suddenly your head's on fire…..Que massive windmilling of arms and a large gapness appeared around him as his mates left him to spontaneously combust. Don't know how the paper got into the air or whether it was a freak or controlled didn't see what happened next as me and 100 others were p1ssing ourselves on the floor.

Still makes me chuckle, were you there, are your ears burning? Expects flaming……..:flameboun

Jan 30, 2008
hello chums, haven't seen this story before so thought i would share it with you…..

Early 70s defo before the rochdale game some match, don't know which one. I was standing 3-4 rows down from the main north stand entrance, that would be the big hole in the corrugated iron, when a piece of paper lazily floated over my head. Now it was unusual to see any piece of newspaper in the north stand but what made this even more unusual was it was on fire. It drifted down and alighted, pun intended, on some blokes head 6-7 rows in front of me just as it reached it's fullest conflagration.
Now there you are watching a game of football and suddenly your head's on fire…..que massive windmilling of arms and a large gapness appeared around him as his mates left him to spontaneously combust. Don't know how the paper got into the air or whether it was a freak or controlled didn't see what happened next as me and 100 others were p1ssing ourselves on the floor.

Still makes me chuckle, were you there, are your ears burning? Expects flaming……..:flameboun
i bring you fire !!!:smokin:
regards
DR

what passes for a 'North Stand' these days? abusing a steward? standing up? singing out of tune after 12 halves of real ale?
A fire was common place in the 70's, all standing round making a circle, If the police got involved and that was an 'If', it all went off. People just used to piss where they stood,grown men paraletic drunk climbing on the barriers, Winfield trainers were lost all over the place when we scored, big red smoke bomb poisoned us all (v Bolton 79) Massive coin fight v Palace Boxing day (how no one lost an eye was a miracle) Not sure i'd enjoy it much now but as a 12 year old I thought it was great, I'm not anti new stadia but comments regarding "the lack of internet access" or "the poor quality of food in the 1901" sit uneasy with me

Dec 29, 2011
what passes for a 'North Stand' these days? abusing a steward? standing up? singing out of tune after 12 halves of real ale?
A fire was common place in the 70's, all standing round making a circle, If the police got involved and that was an 'If', it all went off. People just used to piss where they stood,grown men paraletic drunk climbing on the barriers, Winfield trainers were lost all over the place when we scored, big red smoke bomb poisoned us all (v Bolton 79) Massive coin fight v Palace Boxing day (how no one lost an eye was a miracle) Not sure i'd enjoy it much now but as a 12 year old I thought it was great, I'm not anti new stadia but comments regarding "the lack of internet access" or "the poor quality of food in the 1901" sit uneasy with me

Others may disagree, but this sounds great

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Title a thread"standard of focaccia bread in the 1901" and watch your page count climb! It's not about the football anymore.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Ahh the happy days of pyromania and coin throwing. I remember being taken into the kop in the early Eighties and seeing the rivers of piss running down the steps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here