Taken earlier today...

Big empty space where Cobblers Thumb used to be

r7xg.jpg

All that’s left of London Road Co Op

k8ep.jpg

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I really can't see the point of keeping the facade of the Coop we have let better buildings be knocked/burnt down - waste of money its a bit like Triggers broom on only fools & horses

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seven Dials is looking a bit better.

So many eyesores remain that need to be dealt with.

Brighton Station is going to look smart. A shame the gateway to our city is still such a mess right outside though. Depressing amount of congestion, taxis littering the place and pedestrian unfriendly areas. It would be great to have a plaza with outdoor seating, a huge fountain and what-have-you.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Queens Road looks a mess especially with all those market stalls in the church garden bit.

The dials will be interesting when its finished - lets see if accidents increase and who get the blame? You now get pedestrians crossing across the roads ignoring the cars but when the car hits them they will roll on to the Zebra so the driver gets the blame.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Queens Road looks a mess especially with all those market stalls in the church garden bit.

The dials will be interesting when its finished - lets see if accidents increase and who get the blame? You now get pedestrians crossing across the roads ignoring the cars but when the car hits them they will roll on to the Zebra so the driver gets the blame.

:thumbsup:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Shame, used to love the cobblers. Presumably to be replaced by some more tiny and overpriced flats.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

What a low opinion you have of your fellow humans.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Shame, used to love the cobblers. Presumably to be replaced by some more tiny and overpriced flats.

I've heard they are putting cheap/free accommodation there for homeless people, that's very nice and all that but could turn the area into (even more of a) shithole.

The Cobblers Thumb (New England Inn) was the only surviving building left over in New England Street from the clearances in the 60's. I may be wrong but I think it may have been the only original building left from when New England Street was first laid out.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I really can't see the point of keeping the facade of the Coop we have let better buildings be knocked/burnt down - waste of money its a bit like Triggers broom on only fools & horses

Couldn't agree more. Complete waste of time. The coop building was nothing special, knock the whole thing down, build a modern glass fronted building that will rejuvenate the whole area.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes, real shame lot's of history pulled down, used to see the New England sign driving past on the way to the Lord Nelson!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What a low opinion you have of your fellow humans.

Not really Alan, just an observation and the fact that they put the railings up there originally to stop accidents. that with the 20mph for vehicles means you will have cyclists travelling faster than the cars and then claiming right of way is possibly going to make things worse.

And when I say rolling on the Zebra I meant after they were hit rather than on purpose. The other day I saw some one cut across from behind the cars eyeline and on to the crossing which caused the car to break hard or hit the idiot. The car would have been blamed I'm sure but there was little they could do.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've heard they are putting cheap/free accommodation there for homeless people, that's very nice and all that but could turn the area into (even more of a) shithole.

couple of friends of mine swear blind that the accommodation is going to consist of modified shipping containers. Seem to vaguely recall seeing something similar in the Argus a while back? Any truth, anybody know?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
couple of friends of mine swear blind that the accommodation is going to consist of modified shipping containers. Seem to vaguely recall seeing something similar in the Argus a while back? Any truth, anybody know?

It's true and it's a novel idea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-22306838

As usual, the idea was met with consternation - throwing homeless people in metal containers.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Cheers for confirming that :thumbsup:

Could get a tad uncomfortable if we get another hot Summer tho eh? Or indeed another evil cold Winter?

I've seen some of the shipping containers they have turned into offices in London. They look pretty plush. If they make the homes to the same standard they'll be good. Not just a container with a mattress in it. If I was homeless I'd be chuffed with one. However, while I'm sure many homeless folks would make the most of it, some vagrants have habits and anti-social behaviour issues and it will be pretty hard not to let the area turn into some kind of Mad Max style no-go area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here