Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir David Frost RIP

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
His interviewing style has gone off the boil since the 1960s. Far too cosy, whereas he was the Paxman of the sixties.

Still sad news. RIP.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bit of a shock to say the least, RIP.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
09269L01.jpg

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
His interviewing style has gone off the boil since the 1960s. Far too cosy, whereas he was the Paxman of the sixties.

Still sad news. RIP.

Arguable that the Paxman types get far less out of people than the deceptively friendly Frost, who'd lull people in, then nail them. It's all "look at how tough I am" these days which switches the focus to the interviewer - which really isn't the point.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Arguable that the Paxman types get far less out of people than the deceptively friendly Frost, who'd lull people in, then nail them. It's all "look at how tough I am" these days which switches the focus to the interviewer - which really isn't the point.

I think you are right in many ways, and it probably does explain Frost's change of tack. A politician making a gaffe is rare, though. The problem is that it doesn't make for very good TV to have an interviewer pulling their punches on the off-chance of a false sense of security. And it's not like the softly softly approach gets a result in the vast majority of cases. At least with Paxman, and with Walden before, it's very watchable even if a politician is evading a tough question. With Frost in his latter years, it was the interviewer who was avoiding the tough questions.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here