Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
R.I.P Good-looking Amstrad device :wave:

amstrad-emailer.jpg

:moo:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Did anyone actually buy anything from Amstrad after their PCW became a heap of cack.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Ah, those were the days, when your net connection would cut out for no reason at all , when connections were painfully slow and we just bore it all with fortitude saying "Well, that's computers ..." Back in the day, you were charged by the minute as well..

No love lost there from me. Of course if you choose to live in the remote Highlands - I guess you accept it .?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I want to an audio sound of that dial-up connection sound. Might want to use it as my ring-tone...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This might make me (and a few others) feel old, but does anyone on NSC have no knowledge or experience of what 'dial-up internet' means?!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
only its not dead, just BT arent offering the service any more.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It will never take off...

netsurfed.jpg

Ah, those were the days, when your net connection would cut out for no reason at all , when connections were painfully slow and we just bore it all with fortitude saying "Well, that's computers ..." Back in the day, you were charged by the minute as well..

No love lost there from me. Of course if you choose to live in the remote Highlands - I guess you accept it .?
It wasn't just the remote Highlands. We only managed to get our first broadband service out here in the Sussex countryside, when the BT engineer offered to climb up a pole a quarter of a mile away, remove the equipment that had been installed there, and relocate it to our pole. "It's the best we can do. You're two miles from the exchange, you know" was the story.

In those days, some Sussex exchanges were deemed to be incapable of ever delivering a broadband service to anyone. Isfield was one, if I remember rightly.

The legacy lives on and, out here in our bit of the Sussex countryside, we currently struggle with a Download Speed of 4.90Mb/s and an Upload Speed of 0.31Mb/s.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
At work a few years back it was noted we were paying £250K for a facility for staff to dial in using the phone of which 1 person used it so canned very quickly.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
It just seems like yesterday when the modem made those noises, and you knew you be connected in about 3 minutes ???

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
It took me a month to download an episode of Friends. It was a brave new world and did we even think it was slow cause we knew no different?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here