Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's referee - a wimp!

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Having been a referee at a senior level for many years, I usually find myself standing up for them at the Amex. However, today's was pathetic. Yes, he got a lot of decisions right- but then so he should. That's the easy bit.It was his total inability to deal with Millwall's blatant time-wasting tactics and the non- stop intimidation and whining from the likes of Shittu and Derry that suggested he is not up to this level of football. He also failed to deal equally with foul play- Calderon gets booked yet he did nothing about two blatant body-checks. Players want consistency from officials - they certainly didn't get it today!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed, Ince booking early on should have at least dictated the rest of the game, but sadly, did not.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patreon
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
To be fair to Shittu he only started to whinge and berate the ref after...3 minutes!

What was your opinion of the fore arm smashes "body checks" from Millwall from a ref's perspective?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
To be fair to Shittu he only started to whinge and berate the ref after...3 minutes!

What was your opinion of the fore arm smashes "body checks" from Millwall from a ref's perspective?

Kemy was on the receiving end of one across his throat.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
It was the inconsistency that was so frustrating today. Add to that, he never once pulled Millwall for the time wasting. The fact only five minutes were added on for the second half proves that.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was the inconsistency that was so frustrating today. Add to that, he never once pulled Millwall for the time wasting. The fact only five minutes were added on for the second half proves that.

Except for Dunne's first yellow.

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Having been a referee at a senior level for many years, I usually find myself standing up for them at the Amex. However, today's was pathetic. Yes, he got a lot of decisions right- but then so he should. That's the easy bit.It was his total inability to deal with Millwall's blatant time-wasting tactics and the non- stop intimidation and whining from the likes of Shittu and Derry that suggested he is not up to this level of football. He also failed to deal equally with foul play- Calderon gets booked yet he did nothing about two blatant body-checks. Players want consistency from officials - they certainly didn't get it today!
Pretty much standard then!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How was Forde NOT booked? He was timewasting from kick off.

Their collective timewasting started before kick off, by changing ends.

I thought he would take a bit more action because at one point he made a significant hurry up gesture, but then he let it continue. If I were a ref and one team were time wasting like that, I would stop the clock the moment the ball went out of play and not start it until a few seconds after it had come back into play. (Well, I probably wouldn't as that would lead to me receiving poor marks from my assessor and stunt my career progression, but I'd want to).

But I suppose if you follow it through time wasting by them >> yellow for dunne >> red for dunne >> goal for us. So it cost them in the end.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
The best bit of time wasting was their goalkeeper, millwall sub a player, within all that time he leaves the ball next to the advertising boards, then once the sub is made, he walks over retrieves the ball, walks across his six yard box, messes around placing the ball then takes the kick. Then to listen to their manager say they were robbed and deserved all three points and cant understand the sending off. Like most of millwall, he must a thick ****ing ****.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And yet Lomas cudnt understand why his player got booked and that the worst tackle of the game (by a Brighton player) went unpunished lol

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wasn't it McDonald too that kicked the ball away when we were trying to take a quick throw when Millwall were really under the cosh? Yellow card every time but not today ... because he'd already been booked.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The thing is, it's not really time wasting when scores are level. It's difficult to legislate against slow play in a tied game. Yes the wankers came for a point, but you can't prove it and you can't book someone for wasting time when there is no obvious reason for doing it.
As for consistency, well he was pretty consistent to be fair.
Ince's card was spot on and the ones they got were fair too.
What he did get wrong, in my opinion, was not booking players for fouls committed in non-dangerous areas of the pitch.
A card is a card wherever it occurs.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
The thing is, it's not really time wasting when scores are level. It's difficult to legislate against slow play in a tied game. Yes the wankers came for a point, but you can't prove it and you can't book someone for wasting time when there is no obvious reason for doing it.
What he did get wrong, in my opinion, was not booking players for fouls committed in non-dangerous areas of the pitch.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What!!! Millwall came with no points and would have been grateful of just one so of course when the score is level they are going to time waste. Also you can book someone for wasting time and it should happen whether it is the first or last minute. Unfortunately, when challenged on this point refs ludicrously defend themselves just by saying that they add time on at the end (never enough) but that doesn't take into account how time wasting changes the flow of the game.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
What!!! Millwall came with no points and would have been grateful of just one so of course when the score is level they are going to time waste. Also you can book someone for wasting time and it should happen whether it is the first or last minute. Unfortunately, when challenged on this point refs ludicrously defend themselves just by saying that they add time on at the end (never enough) but that doesn't take into account how time wasting changes the flow of the game.
No, you can't book a player for wasting time unless they are trying to gain an advantage.
There is no advantage in football unless you are winning.
Simple maths that can lead to the very annoying situation we had today where a team came wanting a point from the first minute.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
he was totally inconsistent..having booked Ince (unfairly imho) he then let Millwall comit a series of fouls of equal if not worse nature without similar punishment

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

What tosh

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here