Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jalopeno Peppers, any growers out there ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Having a crisis, grown several Unwin's Hot Jalopeno Peppers from seed and thought I might have my first taste and...... disaster ! No Heat ! I could not believe it. I know that sometimes you can get a rogue hotter than usual chilli but cooler than normal ? I'm afraid to sample another in case the others are pants too and then that means bye bye Pickled Jalapeno's and smoked Jalapeno's ( Chipolte )

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Standing corrected

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Are you growing another bred of chilli next to them? Has been known for them to cross pollinate. Which can affect the heat.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
There are a few growers on here. See the thread 'tomatoes chillies and sweet pepper growing' can't link the thread as on iPhone

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are you growing another bred of chilli next to them? Has been known for them to cross pollinate. Which can affect the heat.

Yes, growing a few varieties and yes I suppose they could have cross-pollinated but they certainly LOOK like Jalapeno's. Ah well, may have to go back to a hotter variety next year.

I wanted a pepper that was fairly munchable but not a head burner and so I plumped for these, I have Bird's Eyes and Goats Horn for a bigger burn when required.

Ate out in Wahaca recently and they gave out small packets of Serrano Chilli seeds in the form of a book of matches, apparently they are quite pickleable.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Yes, growing a few varieties and yes I suppose they could have cross-pollinated but they certainly LOOK like Jalapeno's. Ah well, may have to go back to a hotter variety next year.

I wanted a pepper that was fairly munchable but not a head burner and so I plumped for these, I have Bird's Eyes and Goats Horn for a bigger burn when required.

Ate out in Wahaca recently and they gave out small packets of Serrano Chilli seeds in the form of a book of matches, apparently they are quite pickleable.

Grown those Wahaca Serrano seeds a few times. Easy to grow, about a 90% success rate from seed, gives beautiful-looking fruit and is a useful everyday kitchen chilli. I always get a bumper crop from them as well, so pickle away (or dry them). Good luck.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Grown those Wahaca Serrano seeds a few times. Easy to grow, about a 90% success rate from seed, gives beautiful-looking fruit and is a useful everyday kitchen chilli. I always get a bumper crop from them as well, so pickle away (or dry them). Good luck.

Have you got any tips on pickling? Particularly concerned about all the sterilisation etc. that's required.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have you got any tips on pickling? Particularly concerned about all the sterilisation etc. that's required.

I looked in to this a while ago and it's fairly simple. Sterilise your jars by heating in the oven, boil jar lids in a saucepan, heat your pickle solution til it boils, let it cool a little then pour in to the jars, now filled with sliced peppers, put on lids and then boil in a big pan of boiling water for a minute or 2 then allow to cool. Thats it in a nutshell.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I looked in to this a while ago and it's fairly simple. Sterilise your jars by heating in the oven, boil jar lids in a saucepan, heat your pickle solution til it boils, let it cool a little then pour in to the jars, now filled with sliced peppers, put on lids and then boil in a big pan of boiling water for a minute or 2 then allow to cool. Thats it in a nutshell.

Thanks. I look forward to the smell of boiling vinegar!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011

Have been reading a bit about cross pollination and I now think it is not this. By the sounds of it cross pollination only affects the seeds. So should not effect the heat of your current crop.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All is Joy, tried another Jalapeno from another bush and it fair blew my head off. Huge Endorphin kick !:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here