Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Far Post, Worthing.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
This was mentioned on Danny Bakers show this morning, and was Malcolm Macdonald's pub for a while. Did any poster drink there?

Also Brighton beat Wolves in the Sausage Sandwich Game....Hooray!

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
A couple of times, once i believe when MM was still there, i believe my friend knew the next landlord really well.
In fact he may well have had some financial interest in it too.
Wasn`t it knocked down?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
That was the place on Wigmore Road that closed years ago and was named something else after McDonald left - Think the place went bust?

Never went there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Macdonalds' Mum ran a sweet shop in Forest Row, the great man served me once

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This was mentioned on Danny Bakers show this morning, and was Malcolm Macdonald's pub for a while. Did any poster drink there?

I had a drink in the Far Post when Macdonald first got the pub. It was a Sunday night and he was doing a pub quiz. One of his questions was "Who would be the next Arsenal manager". At the time Arsenal did not have a manager and his answer was Terry Neill. Two days later Neill was appointed, i was too thick to put a bet on.
The Far Post became the Wigmore after he left, now it is houses.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I took some pretty young girl there on a first date 27 years ago. 25th wedding anniversary soon.

I remember the story of the coach load of Newcastle fans who on their way back from somewhere like Pompey decided to pop in there and say hello to one of their teams legends. They even sent in a guy to ask if it was alright to come in seeing there was a big crowd of them. They did come in but McDonald never came down from upstairs apparently.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012

i lived opposite it. he lost - better player than landlord! it went back to being 'the wigmor'. it was knocked down 2 or 3 years ago and is now a small block of flats.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Think it was knocked down some time ago, or delicensed

Jul 7, 2003
I think I'm right in saying it was originally the Wigmore Arms and Wigmore Athletic were founded there who went on to become Worthing United?

My grandad was the 'bucket man' for Wigmore many years ago - of course, these days he would be called a physio!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I think it closed largely due to MM drinking the stock rather than selling it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I drank in it occasionally when it was a Brickwoods pub called The Wigmore before MM owned it. One of my aunties, Pauline lived in Wigmore Rd when she was single and married my mums brother and bought a house in Wigmore Rd and worked in the pub. Wigmore Athletc was formed there I think and played their matches at Hill Barn Lane, near the chalkpits. I remember that one of their players was Don Coccoza and possibly a brother Ron.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I had my wedding reception there, was the far post under MM, was the Wigmore originally, then when super Mac left it became the Wig and Pen. Malcolm McDonald was the most bow legged man i have ever seen. Like a lot of local boozers its noe flats for old people, cos Worthing hasnt got enough of these

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here