Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This isn't Hillsborough, but don't buy the Sun today.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Not a directive at all, but surely the Sun has some historians on their editorial staff. I don't have a scanner so can't show you it in it's full glory so will type it for your consideration.

DEATH NOTICE

THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP
Died at home after a sudden illness on Thursday, August 29, 2013, aged 67. Beloved offspring of Winston Churchill and FDR. Dearly loved by Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, John Major, George Bush Snr, Bill Clinton, Tony Blair and GW Bush. Funeral to be held at etc etc.

Britain vs Axis Sept 1939. USA vs Axis 1941
Britain vs Argentina 1982 USA neutral
Britain/USA/ Coalition Iraq basically lies.
British democratic parliament votes against a coalition on Syria. That is what a democracy can do.We should be thankful and amazed that this still exists.

I am right wing on foreign policy and support the USA as a friend, so should be asking everybody to buy the Sun. The use of chemical weapons is an abomination and cannot continue. However, I do believe that the vote in the Commons would be supported by the voting public and if we want to live in a democratic country, then we don't need this kind of rhetoric from a newspaper.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not a directive at all, but surely the Sun has some historians on their editorial staff. I don't have a scanner so can't show you it in it's full glory so will type it for your consideration.

DEATH NOTICE

THE SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP
Died at home after a sudden illness on Thursday, August 29, 2013, aged 67. Beloved offspring of Winston Churchill and FDR. Dearly loved by Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, John Major, George Bush Snr, Bill Clinton, Tony Blair and GW Bush. Funeral to be held at etc etc.

Britain vs Axis Sept 1939. USA vs Axis 1941
Britain vs Argentina 1982 USA neutral
Britain/USA/ Coalition Iraq basically lies.
British democratic parliament votes against a coalition on Syria. That is what a democracy can do.We should be thankful and amazed that this still exists.

I am right wing on foreign policy and support the USA as a friend, so should be asking everybody to buy the Sun. The use of chemical weapons is an abomination and cannot continue. However, I do believe that the vote in the Commons would be supported by the voting public and if we want to live in a democratic country, then we don't need this kind of rhetoric from a newspaper.
Much as I don't think we should attack Syria , you're way off the Mark with the comments about 1982 , they were supplying us with satellite intelligence , ammunition, and spare parts , take it from me , they were on our side in that one.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
total over the top, sensationalist reaction to the event, its far too early to say if the relationship would be impacted significantly. one could say if it were, it wasnt that special after all.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Completely right. Douglas Haig gave us all the information and help we wanted from the Reagan administration. But we have not turned our back on the US about Syria. As stated I support the US. The OP was about our parliament voting in a democratic way and being vilified for correcting a wrong that led us astray before.. And to your point. When we bombed Libya, we ran out of cruise missiles, so had to borrow some from the 5th or 6th fleet. UK USA pretty similar, but we should support this vote for good or bad. We are a country in our own right.
Much as I don't think we should attack Syria , you're way off the Mark with the comments about 1982 , they were supplying us with satellite intelligence , ammunition, and spare parts , take it from me , they were on our side in that one.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We did not go to Vietnam or Somalia, even though they wanted us to and that did not do our special relationship any harm. Plus this was the first time (as far as I am aware) that parliament itself voted not to help, rather than a particular government deciding, so the yanks should respect that even more.

At least they have their oldest allies, the French, to help them this time for a change. But then Syria was French controlled, so quite right that they should.

And don't forget that the yankie doodles only joined the second world war when they were attacked by the Japs in 1941, so they were not exactly keen to help out when it kicked off in 1939.

Why would anyone buy the Sun?

Because you've run out of toilet paper? And if you use the sun, how do you deal with newspaper print on your botty?

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."
Smedley Butler

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Two words come to mind when I think of that rag Hillsbrough and Milly Dowler,

shit rag should be ****ing out of business like its vile sunday equivalent.

but according to this site its the daily mail that's the problem. but in reality thats mainly because it reminds people of their square embarrassing parents.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
When was the last time that the USA whole-heartedly and openly supported Britain on any contentious issue. Falklands, they always publicly stay neutral.

The administration seems happy to watch as the great American business men fraudulently destroy one of the UK's biggest companies (BP)

Britain has spent many billions and sacrificed 1000's of lives supporting the USA's aggressive foreign policy. It all seems so one sided.

I for one, would be very happy if we did not join another one of their crusades for a very long time.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Gree with the OP. Sensationalist poppycock. Would have been more fitting in The daily fail.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
And don't forget that the yankie doodles only joined the second world war when they were attacked by the Japs in 1941, so they were not exactly keen to help out when it kicked off in 1939.

Point of order. Hitler declared war on the USA not the other way around.

I still laugh about the alleged quote from Gen. Schwarzkopf or Rumsfeldt or one of the hawks on hearing that France would not be joining the coalition of the willing in Iraq: "going to war without the French is like going moose hunting without your piano"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here