Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Someone else

Votes: 5 4.3%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...bion-captain-1025344.aspx#gmGum7SRhoWq5PUC.99

The club is running a poll as part of the Football League's 125-year history thing. Sadly, the link doesn't work for me, so I thought I'd put it up here.

The club's five nominations are...

Steve Foster
Brian Horton
Paul Rogers
Danny Cullip
Charlie Oatway

... which, for me, only nominates captains of teams who achieved success. The top two I could live with as nominees, but it precludes people I could - if I could be bothered - make a case for, like Glenn Wilson or Danny Wilson. Anyhoo... who is your choice from those five?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Nobby by a country mile, no one else comes close! is he on the legends 'wall'?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Nobby for me too.

But Danny Cullip will always be a favourite of mine.

We went to Withdean when we were really shit, but he, Oatway, Kuipers and Chippy gave us a reason to be proud of our club again.

Still Nobby though. Only captain to take us into the top flight.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Other - Richard Carpenter. Great at set pieces, and one of the best midfield players I remember seeing at Withdean.

Wasn't exactly a great captain though! I would however concur with the OP in that Danny Wilson is a glaring omission. Can't comment on any pre Horton as that was when I started watching the Albion.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Never got to see Foster or Horton play. My Mum always waxes lyrical about Foster though.

I wonder what Danny Cullips record was in a match for screaming out "LETS HAVE A WINNER" when the ball was in the air coming at the defense.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I've gone for Brian Horton, as he was captain during our most successful period, and from all I've read, was a true leader. However, I never saw him play for us, as I only fully became an Albion fan in 1985. For me the best I have seen was Danny Wilson. I don't think I have seen a more complete midfielder play for the Albion. I realise this will be quite a controversial view, but I saw a lot of games in the 1985-1986 season, and I don't think he missed a tackle. I have never seen anyone wallop a penalty so hard either.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Charlie Oatway? Seriously?

Got to be Horton hasn't it - nobody else even comes close in terms of inspirational performances, dragging a team on. He was our very own version of Steven Gerrard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here