Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Solicitors

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
are c***s.

Sorry. Obviously not all of you. Just all the ones I've dealt with. (In the middle of a house move, if you can't tell).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They're not all bad. Two of my finest moments involve legal battles with an estate agent and a lying taxi driver. I won both.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
are c***s.

Sorry. Obviously not all of you. Just all the ones I've dealt with. (In the middle of a house move, if you can't tell).

We are too; been told for the past three weeks that we should be exchanging Monday. Guess what; we never do. I've lost count of how many hours I have spent on the phone chasing throughout the past month.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They're not all bad. Two of my finest moments involve legal battles with an estate agent and a lying taxi driver. I won both.

In my limited experience I have found them massively patronising, entirely unapologetic when they make errors (numerous times now and counting) and completely unremorseful should you make an error/misunderstand anything, as a first time buyer. Also, they NEVER answer their phones and have been trying to shift work (chasing after a mortgage company) on to me that is absolutely their responsibility.

I won't put up the company as I'm not looking to slander them, just to vent a bit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In my limited experience I have found them massively patronising, entirely unapologetic when they make errors (numerous times now and counting) and completely unremorseful should you make an error/misunderstand anything, as a first time buyer. Also, they NEVER answer their phones and have been trying to shift work (chasing after a mortgage company) on to me that is absolutely their responsibility.

I won't put up the company as I'm not looking to slander them, just to vent a bit.

Mmmmm. Sounds like you got a bad 'un which is not what you need when buying a place as it's stressful enough as it is. I hope it works out. Good luck.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I have found a brilliant one - if anyone wants their details PM me. Have recommended to 2 others and they used, all glowing reports.

There are some absolutely useless ones out there

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
are c***s.
Now hold on a minute, you can't just assume they're all like that. I've met several that - no, ok, let's not use the ones I've met as an example, but I'm sure, well not sure, but there's a good chance - ok, not good, but there is a chance that they're not all bad.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Yep, I agree. Currently going through a remortgage, the current solicitors found a restriction raised in error on the deeds and won't help to remove it, saying the solicitors I used when buying the house originally (5 yrs ago) should do it, when I asked them about it they didn't want to know either, even though its their fault for not taking it off in the first place. Ended up doing it myself.
They both ignore my emails, phone calls, voicemails.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
A lot of the problem lies with the fact that certain solicitors/firms take too much on to meet targets/ get more money in and then farm the work out on their secretary/assistant so you don't really get a solicitor doing the work.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not as bad as estate agents though, shirley?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We had a great solicitor when we moved 9 years ago. I couldn't fault him and his charges weren't extortionate either.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

It wouldn't be slander, it'd be libel. But that's another debate!

I hope you sort the move out soon! Friends have recently done it and it took MONTHS! Good luck!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patreon
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Are there any solicitors on here that can give some guidance on how much fees should be charged/reasonable on say a £250k probate? This is not for me but I would be interested in views on whether, hypothetically, £130k in fees could be considered "illegal" and any action that could be taken.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's always been easier to plead guilty to every charge that I've been arrested for (drug possession, criminal damage and swearing at a policeman) than get an expensive solicitor involved. No defence anyway and taken my punishment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here