Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PC or Mac?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Ive been comitted to PC all my life but have recently started moving towards Mac. Im told that Mac can do most PC things but I have concerns about my needs:

1) I torrent lots of tv and films. Is it as easy with mac?
2) Im an FM holic which means I use all resources available. Can I use all these on mac?
3) In my work I need powerpoint and use projectors for my presentations. Have heard that mac has problems with projectors. Is it true?
4) Planning to get Rome TW2. Will it be available on mac?

If mac cant answer those Im staying with Toshiba

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Ive been comitted to PC all my life but have recently started moving towards Mac. Im told that Mac can do most PC things but I have concerns about my needs:

1) I torrent lots of tv and films. Is it as easy with mac?
2) Im an FM holic which means I use all resources available. Can I use all these on mac?
3) In my work I need powerpoint and use projectors for my presentations. Have heard that mac has problems with projectors. Is it true?
4) Planning to get Rome TW2. Will it be available on mac?

If mac cant answer those Im staying with Toshiba

1) yes, just as easy
2) I think so, but not 100%
3) only display out cable is mini display port. So you might need a converter
4) no clue

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
1. Fine
2. Fine
3. You may need to buy a separate adaptor to connect the mac to the projector (especially newer macs) but other than that there's no issues - i've used mine for presentations without any issues.
4. Apparently it won't be available straight away, but a quick Google suggests that it may be available somewhere down the line. You can always dual-boot or use a Virtual Machine to run Windows and play it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Pringles and armchair.

However, to answer your predicament, when you buy a Mac it comes with software called Boot Camp which allows you to run Windows natively, so any software you have that is only available on PC, you can still use 100% the same (you'll need your Windows set-up disc).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FFs man, go Apple.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've used various Macs at work for 20 years or so and always a PC at home. I was always sure that the PC was the better system, for reasons I suspect many people would disagree with.

I now run my own business from home. After a recent PC crash I decided to replace the HP device with a new iMac.

Obviously it's a visually impressive machine, it's quiet, and I've gradually come to terms with its quirks. But it's certainly not the quantum leap that Mac devotees led me to believe. Many tasks are now slower and more cumbersome than they were with the PC. There are more pauses than I had before. Working with graphics and images seems more fiddly than it was before.

I don't regret the decision, and won't miss the viruses, the noisy hard drive, or the need to replace the machine after two years. But I guess with all the Mac hype my expectations were higher.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
FFs man, go Apple.

Most of my qs are personal but the powerpoint/projector issue is the gamebreaker. Without that mac is dead in the water.

Out of interest are the earlier Total war games playable on mac (would they work on this virtual machine just as well?)

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Yep - get yourself a Mac and then install software on it to make it run like Windows.

Get yourself an iPhone and install software so it can run flash.

All this for three times the price of a good PC set up. (I believe Apple throw in the feeling of smugness and self congratulation for free!)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I've used various Macs at work for 20 years or so and always a PC at home. I was always sure that the PC was the better system, for reasons I suspect many people would disagree with.

I now run my own business from home. After a recent PC crash I decided to replace the HP device with a new iMac.

Obviously it's a visually impressive machine, it's quiet, and I've gradually come to terms with its quirks. But it's certainly not the quantum leap that Mac devotees led me to believe. Many tasks are now slower and more cumbersome than they were with the PC. There are more pauses than I had before. Working with graphics and images seems more fiddly than it was before.

I don't regret the decision, and won't miss the viruses, the noisy hard drive, or the need to replace the machine after two years. But I guess with all the Mac hype my expectations were higher.

Interesting. Im a writer too so I ofetn do get sent large graphic files but had always thought mac was better for this

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Interesting. Im a writer too so I ofetn do get sent large graphic files but had always thought mac was better for this

It's amazing how many times I've heard people over the years saying "the Mac is better at handling graphics". I've never understood what that means, since my PC has never had any issues "handling" images of any size. Whereas my shiny new Mac is slower and occasionally struggles to open a simple JPEG, for reasons I can't quite understand.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Most of my qs are personal but the powerpoint/projector issue is the gamebreaker. Without that mac is dead in the water.

Out of interest are the earlier Total war games playable on mac (would they work on this virtual machine just as well?)

Popular games will get converted by the community to mac and torrented pretty quickly. I downloaded Skyrim for my mac the day after release and that was PC only supposedly.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yep - get yourself a Mac and then install software on it to make it run like Windows.

Get yourself an iPhone and install software so it can run flash.

All this for three times the price of a good PC set up. (I believe Apple throw in the feeling of smugness and self congratulation for free!)

This amused me.

PCs aren't better than Macs, Macs are not better than PCs, despite what anyone tells you. If you are having problems doing something on one system, you can see what it is like on the other and then consider if you want to switch. But my advice is that if you use one and don't have a driving reason to switch, Don't.

You have not been charged for this information.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
have to say that sounds good advice. This is my second toshiba laptop in a row and its done everything I asked it too. the only thing that really intrigues me about the mac is that it is virus-free and they tend to have longer lives.

D

Deleted member 22389

You could have a look at Crossover Mac, I used this package on Linux before and it works for quite a few titles now, or alternatively install Windows in Virtual Machine or however they do it on Mac. That's what I do with Linux, Windows works well.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

As regards Viruses, Spyware and other crap Mac I should imagine is like Linux,in that in order to install anything you need to give the application root permissions.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
have to say that sounds good advice. This is my second toshiba laptop in a row and its done everything I asked it too. the only thing that really intrigues me about the mac is that it is virus-free and they tend to have longer lives.

I'm a Mac user, and you have to be careful, they're not virus-free, it's simply that far, far fewer viruses are written for their OS. However, as their market share increases, they are, particularly as many of their users think they are immune and therefore don't take proper precautions, having more viruses written targeting them.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

you'll be happy to know there are now virus that will FUBAR a mac, to the extent they no longer claim they are immune - still be more resistant than pcs, and are more stable, however

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Macs do 50% as much for 200% of the price, but hey they look nicer.

There arent many Mac users who can truthfully say they didnt buy one as a status symbol. Macs are intended for f ucking pricks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's amazing how many times I've heard people over the years saying "the Mac is better at handling graphics". I've never understood what that means, since my PC has never had any issues "handling" images of any size.

this is from a bygone age, when Macs used non-intel chips, the Motorola and then Power PC, which processed graphics in a more effective manner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here