Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8yo driver pursued by police hits lamp post, 6yo sister dies at scene

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Tragic beyond words. :(

A six-year-old girl has died after her eight-year-old brother crashed the family car in Arizona.

The girl was found dead in the passenger seat of the car, wearing her pyjamas, police said.

The boy suffered ankle injuries after the family's Hyundai Elantra car hit a pole at the side of the road, a block from home, in South Phoenix.

Police had spotted the vehicle moments earlier and were attempting to pull it over when the accident happened.

It is understood the children's mother raised the alarm after believing the children had been kidnapped at 10pm on Wednesday night.

She had previously bathed the children and put them to bed, said police sergeant Steve Martos, of the Phoenix Police Department.

"It's a tragic story, all the way round," said Mr Martos, who did not give the children's names.

Police said they started to get numerous 911 calls starting around 10.15pm.

One caller said the car had struck a fence. Another, who followed the vehicle, reported that children were inside.

At around 10.30 pm, when police tried to pull the vehicle over, it veered to the right and hit a pole, Mr Martos said.

"This was one of those situations when the officers believed they were trying to rescue kids from a possible kidnapper," the police officer added.

"When they ran up to the vehicle, they found an eight-year-old in the driver's seat, and a six-year-old in the passenger seat, severely injured."

Both the children were in their pyjamas and the girl was not wearing a seat belt. The air bags did not deploy.

The mother had walked to the scene and discovered that her children were in the car. Police said they did not know what prompted the boy to take his mother's car.

They have not spoken to the boy, but no criminal complaints are expected to be filed, because the child is too young.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Horrible. As a father of a son and younger daughter that's just scary.

Not that I'd expect my two to steal our car.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
One of the downfalls of automatic cars (presuming this as in the States), defy any 8 year old to be able to start up a manual and attain high speed without being told specifically how to do it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Shocking just shocking as Gazwag said makes you wonder what the whole story is.

Also a note in that the seat belts failed, on my regular trips to the states including Phoenix I have noticed how mashed & beat up the cars are driving around and the wife informed me that is because we dont have MOT's.

That poor boy is going to have his sisters death on his mind for the rest of his life his life is marked forever

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One of the downfalls of automatic cars (presuming this as in the States), defy any 8 year old to be able to start up a manual and attain high speed without being told specifically how to do it.

Shocking just shocking as Gazwag said makes you wonder what the whole story is.

I think that's a very unfair conclusion to draw. Probably just little kids having 'an adventure'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Also a note in that the seat belts failed, on my regular trips to the states including Phoenix I have noticed how mashed & beat up the cars are driving around and the wife informed me that is because we dont have MOT's.

It says that they were not wearing seat-belts, not that they failed?

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....

It's the same in Canada. There is no MOT, only an emissions test that has to be taken every two years. That's why there a shit load of crappy cars running around that would never be allowed anywhere near UK roads. The only time safety comes into it is when you sell your vehicle privately as you have to have a safety certificate which can cost a fortune to obtain should you have a crappy old motor.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
How long until some CT bellend gets on this thread stating with confidence that the Government did it?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How long until some CT bellend gets on this thread stating with confidence that the Government did it?

I cant' see that happening. This would be one story too far, surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here