Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Its not easy with the budget to do this job'

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If Gus had said this, NSC meltdown.........

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ha ha - now let's see if those Gus haters that have said he shouldn't have moaned about the budget give the same treatment to Oscar - I lay a hefty sum they don't !!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Ha ha - now let's see if those Gus haters that have said he shouldn't have moaned about the budget give the same treatment to Oscar - I lay a hefty sum they don't !!!

Indeed NSC hypocrisy at its best.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As has been pointed out of the original thread, in context of the article this is taken from, Oscar is saying that it's not been easy to adjust to being actively involved in the recruitment / budget juggling. He's not seemingly complaining about the size of the budget.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Poyet used to whine about the budget at every opportunity.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
As has been pointed out of the original thread, in context of the article this is taken from, Oscar is saying that it's not been easy to adjust to being actively involved in the recruitment / budget juggling. He's not seemingly complaining about the size of the budget.

He isn't but you know how tabloid style journalism and the craving for soundbites can misrepresent what people really mean to those with limited intellect.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
its very early days - im pretty sure Gus wasn't moaning about the budget at the same stage of his managerial role either - we will have to wait and see

however my current view of oscar is that he has a lot of class about him

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I suggest that you read the comment in context. He is discussing the fact he is normally just a coach and others deal with finance and transfers. It is nothing like Poyet's constant moans about the lack of a massive budget for him to spunk.

I can see no indication of Oscar being unhappy at the size of his budget.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Poyet used to whine about the budget at every opportunity.

So? it was clearly a ploy to downplay expectations.

You don't go into a transfer window declaring "We are so RICH". Teams will automatically double the price of their players once approached and fans expectations would go through the roof.

I still can't understand how some people don't get this.

You want to sell a player and you value him at £1m. West Brom come in. You will accept £1m. Man Utd come in? You ask for £2m based on their financial ability.

It's just common sense. I don't CARE that fans got annoyed by it. I don't care what his interviews said. I only cared about the team on the pitch before my eyes and, on the whole, Gus got a VERY good team together for a reasonable price. All fine by me.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So? it was clearly a ploy to downplay expectations.

You don't go into a transfer window declaring "We are so RICH". Teams will automatically double the price of their players once approached and fans expectations would go through the roof.

I still can't understand how some people don't get this.

You want to sell a player and you value him at £1m. West Brom come in. You will accept £1m. Man Utd come in? You ask for £2m based on their financial ability.

It's just common sense. I don't CARE that fans got annoyed by it. I don't care what his interviews said. I only cared about the team on the pitch before my eyes and, on the whole, Gus got a VERY good team together for a reasonable price. All fine by me.

You really are stupid aren't you!

Do you think Poyet should have also made his comments after the Playoff Semi as well?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Sorry, but that is a complete mis-interpretation of what he's saying. What he actually means (I'm pretty sure) is "It's not easy, with the budgets, to do this job". Or, "It is difficult to manage the budget, as well as everything else on the football side as it was in Israel, where there was a sporting director to deal with those sorts of things."

Gus is more likely to have said: "It's not easy to do this job with the budget I've got".

There is a world of difference between the two scenarios, IMO.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The Naylor argument is a selective summary of a conversation/interview he has had with Oscar.

My interpretation of it is simply that Oscar is saying that things are done differently here (in England) to what he has been used to in Spain and Israel, and he is having to get used to the differences. These differences presumably relate both the the precise role of the manager in player recruitment, and also to the implications of FFP.

I don't see this as a big deal. If you actually watch any interviews with OG, he comes over as calm, balanced and sensible, and the kind of bloke who does not speak before thinking.

On the budget issue, it's also worth remembering that he is having to operate under a different regime (the full impact of FFP) than Gus did. Just because he mentions the simple fact that this regime makes life more difficult, I don't see this in any way as comparable to Gus's frequent "shoot from the hip" type whinges.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
To be clear, I think most people know Oscar isn't moaning about the budgets.

The inference is that Gus, making EXACTLY the same words, would have been received differently.

Either way, it's not really much of an issue as it's all downplaying budget/expectations/likelyhood of signings which is pretty standard.

Fingers crossed we can maybe get a loan striker in to help the shortfall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here