Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If you live in Hove, can you get BT Infinity at your address?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
High speed broadband is being rolled out, and I believe it's reached some places in Hove, but it's not available where I am (near the King Alfred). I'm interested to see how much of Hove has got it, and maybe I can learn if it's likely to hit my road soon.

1) Can you get it? Enter your phone number here:
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity#services-checker

2) Are you close to an exchange? Enter your postcode on the following page to see where the local exchanges are:
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I see all the exchanges in your area are AO (accepting orders) but as you will probably realise it's down to the actual roadside cabinets being activated which gives you access to Infinity.

Here in Kemp Town it's been AO for around a year but it's only just begun taking orders for the cabinet just across the street from me. I believe there is a street level cabinet checker out there on the web somewhere.

Here it is http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/ADSLChecker.AddressOutput

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks for the help.
I see all the exchanges in your area are AO (accepting orders) but as you will probably realise it's down to the actual roadside cabinets being activated which gives you access to Infinity.
To be honest, I'm still learning about it. I know the exchange is accepting orders, but I don't know if it's just the cabinet that needs updating, or if the roads need to be dug, and fibre laid between the exchange and the cabinet. I also heard that instead of a change inside the cabinet, I should expect a new cabinet to be added nearby.

Here in Kemp Town it's been AO for around a year but it's only just begun taking orders for the cabinet just across the street from me.
Do you mean that you can now order BT infinity at your address - and if so, has the cabinet across the street just been updated, or was it updated ages ago?

Thanks - trying that, I'm not sure what it means. This is what is says:

Address ****, HOVE, BN3 *** on Exchange HOVE is served by Cabinet 36
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 6.5 to 15 Available
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

So it's cabinet 36, but that means nothing to me. And it doesn't give any indication of whether the cabinet needs changing or what.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
On all the ones I have input, there is a bit at the top that tells you when WBC/FTTC is available.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On all the ones I have input, there is a bit at the top that tells you when WBC/FTTC is available.
What do you mean, on all the ones you've input? What are you inputting, a postcode? Could you provide a link to where you're inputting it please, and I'll see if it says when WBC/FTTC is available.

Thanks

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks for the help.To be honest, I'm still learning about it. I know the exchange is accepting orders, but I don't know if it's just the cabinet that needs updating, or if the roads need to be dug, and fibre laid between the exchange and the cabinet. I also heard that instead of a change inside the cabinet, I should expect a new cabinet to be added nearby.

Do you mean that you can now order BT infinity at your address - and if so, has the cabinet across the street just been updated, or was it updated ages ago?

Thanks - trying that, I'm not sure what it means. This is what is says:

Address ****, HOVE, BN3 *** on Exchange HOVE is served by Cabinet 36
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 11 -- 6.5 to 15 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 11 Up to 1 6.5 to 15 Available
ADSL Max Up to 6 -- 5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

So it's cabinet 36, but that means nothing to me. And it doesn't give any indication of whether the cabinet needs changing or what.

Yes, as the fibre cabinet has been installed (9 months ago) and activated (1 month ago) I can now order Infinity.

Yes, a new cabinet has to be installed and fibre laid to it.

Here is a picture from my flat...

to the left the 'normal' phone line/adsl cabinet and on the right the new 'fibre cabinet'

cabinets.gif

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
High speed broadband is being rolled out, and I believe it's reached some places in Hove, but it's not available where I am (near the King Alfred). I'm interested to see how much of Hove has got it, and maybe I can learn if it's likely to hit my road soon.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity#services-checker

2) Are you close to an exchange? Enter your postcode on the following page to see where the local exchanges are:

I live in Hove, pretty close to King Alfred and it says I can get it. In fact I actually have fibre optic broadband with a different provider, but I guess it's the same cables used.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
BT fibre and Sky fibre use all the same wiring and even the same fitters.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, as the fibre cabinet has been installed (9 months ago) and activated (1 month ago) I can now order Infinity.
Ah, good to know it took them 8 months from when the cabinet was installed, thanks.

to the left the 'normal' phone line/adsl cabinet and on the right the new 'fibre cabinet'
Is speed determined by distance from the exchange, or distance from the cabinet?

I live in Hove, pretty close to King Alfred and it says I can get it. In fact I actually have fibre optic broadband with a different provider, but I guess it's the same cables used.
I knew it - they're picking on me.

I'm going to go and search for the cabinet later.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Ah, good to know it took them 8 months from when the cabinet was installed, thanks.

Is speed determined by distance from the exchange, or distance from the cabinet?

I knew it - they're picking on me.

I'm going to go and search for the cabinet later.

Speed is distance from the cabinet.

I have been quoted 69.3 down and 19.8 up but they tend to be conservative in their predictions!

Good luck with your hunting!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is a useful link for comparing offerings in your area and also provides plenty of background information

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

Good luck
Thanks, I'd tried that this morning, but couldn't see anything useful on it (maybe I don't understand what it's saying). It says "Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area." I can't see anything about local cabinets.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Yes and no :(

Cabinet Probability Uplift Phase Status Type
P36 97% 5.19 4a Removed or Deferred from deployment FTTC (Fiber to the Cabinet)

WTF!

Third and final attempt, someone recommended this on an openreach forum

email nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk with your phone number and cabinet and you will get an email back from a person with a date if available for your cabinet.

I LIVE IN HOVE AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT:moo:

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Me too...clueless...please explain what it is about. We are currently with Virgin Broadband (cable, not BT Landline) and looking to change and/or to get Sky and to pay quite a bit less than £50 pm (all in, some Sports Channels, phone and all) which is what Virgin are fleecing us for at the moment.

What's the advantage please with BT Infinity and at what cost and who provides the Broadband - BT themselves? Does it matter that I have cable and not a BT landline right now?

Should I just switch to Sky which there was a recent thread about?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here