Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Looks like no more movements on the transfer front.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
The Argus reports today that OG has "found it difficult dealing in the transfer market" and that "significant late movement by Albion is unlikely before Monday night's transfer deadline". The club also state, as we already know, that "they intend to keep Barnes."

I find it absolutely incredible that it looks as if we will have to cope until the January window with potentially just two strikers, Ulloa and Barnes. I know further loans are an option but this is not what we need. I dread to think of what would happen if Barnes' injury proves to be worse that the club think and/or Ulloa gets injured or is suspended for any period. We will be down to the bare bones then from an attacking perspective, and our ambitions for a successful season may need to be reigned back a lot. It's so frustrating that we are having difficulties getting in a striker - especially since very little of our budget (if truly the same as last season) appears to have been spent.

Oh well...onwards and upwards...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Lets hope this story is aimed at the agents and not the fans in the hope that their prices start to fall before 9pm Monday.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
I wouldn't read anything into that at all. If the right man is available at the right price we will be in for him.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The alternative report is "OG is desperate to bring people in and pay anything" which will push up prices. If we don't bring anyone in I will be astonished. I think it will be someone very good.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Where are our people in the know when we need them?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The alternative report is "OG is desperate to bring people in and pay anything" which will push up prices. If we don't bring anyone in I will be astonished. I think it will be someone very good.

You mean what Ian Holloway has said

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The Argus reports today that OG has "found it difficult dealing in the transfer market" and that "significant late movement by Albion is unlikely before Monday night's transfer deadline". The club also state, as we already know, that "they intend to keep Barnes."

I find it absolutely incredible that it looks as if we will have to cope until the January window with potentially just two strikers, Ulloa and Barnes. I know further loans are an option but this is not what we need. I dread to think of what would happen if Barnes' injury proves to be worse that the club think and/or Ulloa gets injured or is suspended for any period. We will be down to the bare bones then from an attacking perspective, and our ambitions for a successful season may need to be reigned back a lot. It's so frustrating that we are having difficulties getting in a striker - especially since very little of our budget (if truly the same as last season) appears to have been spent.

CMS will be available well before then, so we only need 1 striker IMO.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Don't panic. If i remember rightly it took us 18 months to land Ulloa and that was worth waiting for.

Plus i still think there will be some real bargains in the loan window when things have settled down. Bridge, Upson and Hammond last season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't panic. If i remember rightly it took us 18 months to land Ulloa and that was worth waiting for.

Plus i still think there will be some real bargains in the loan window when things have settled down. Bridge, Upson and Hammond last season.

Your point is right, but Bridge, Upson and Hammond were full / half season loans which would need to be done by this deadline on Monday.

The loan window is for 93 day loans.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

The loan window re-opens a week after the transfer window closes so there is always an option there if we find ourselves short of players in any position.

I am not sure you are right with very little of our budget being spent. At the end of last season we lost Painter, Dicker, Bridge, Hammond and Vicente. We've signed Upson on a perm deal, re-signed El-Abd and Lopez (all three would have got some sort of signing on bonus).

Kemy and Chicksen have come in (both of whom are likely to match the wages Hammond and Painter were getting at least). Ward and Andrews have signed from Wolves and Bolton and are rumoured to be two of the higher earners at their parent clubs, so I would imagine we are paying a large chunk of those wages which will have taken a lot of the money freed up from Bridge and Vicente moving on (remember the rumour was we were only paying £10,000 a week or so for Bridge with Man City covering the rest). Gordon Greer got a new deal which would no doubt have involved an increase in wages, we are currently looking at doing the same with Ashley Barnes.

Taking that into account I am sure there is some money available should the right player come along but I don't think the club have been as tight as some people seem to think.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The loan window re-opens a week after the transfer window closes so there is always an option there if we find ourselves short of players in any position.

I am not sure you are right with very little of our budget being spent. At the end of last season we lost Painter, Dicker, Bridge, Hammond and Vicente. We've signed Upson on a perm deal, re-signed El-Abd and Lopez (all three would have got some sort of signing on bonus).

Kemy and Chicksen have come in (both of whom are likely to match the wages Hammond and Painter were getting at least). Ward and Andrews have signed from Wolves and Bolton and are rumoured to be two of the higher earners at their parent clubs, so I would imagine we are paying a large chunk of those wages which will have taken a lot of the money freed up from Bridge and Vicente moving on (remember the rumour was we were only paying £10,000 a week or so for Bridge with Man City covering the rest). Gordon Greer got a new deal which would no doubt have involved an increase in wages, we are currently looking at doing the same with Ashley Barnes.

Taking that into account I am sure there is some money available should the right player come along but I don't think the club have been as tight as some people seem to think.

You forgot Dobbie and Harley who were both supposedly on high wages. We should have quite a big transfer budget left over, if it is indeed "in line" with last seasons.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here