Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Car Failed MOT

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
OK - calling all NSC mechanics. My girlfriend's car has just failed the MOT with :

"Nearside front anti-roll bar linkage fractured"

It's a Mazda MX5, 57 plate.

How much should I expect to pay and are there any Albion friendly mechanics on here wanting the work ?

phoenix

May 18, 2009
On a Fiat it cost me about £50 quid with labour.

The part was about £18.

TerryT

Jun 14, 2011
My Astra cost £10 for a pair 2 weeks ago (from Ebay, new part) and fitted myself as it was very easy to do.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My Astra cost £10 for a pair 2 weeks ago (from Ebay, new part) and fitted myself as it was very easy to do.

I wouldn't know where to start with fitting it ! I'll happily swap time taken to fit the part with a PC problem fix ! Bartering - much better than money.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
each car is different, i can help if your interested, drop me a PM

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
On a Fiat it cost me about £50 quid with labour.

The part was about £18.

Same on my CLK.

Annoying thing is that this a failure that will catch thousands out. This time last year this failure did not exist, it has been dreamed up to create work and parts sales for the motor industry. When was the last time you heard of an accident being caused by an anti-roll bar thingy fracturing etc etc?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Same on my CLK.

Annoying thing is that this a failure that will catch thousands out. This time last year this failure did not exist, it has been dreamed up to create work and parts sales for the motor industry. When was the last time you heard of an accident being caused by an anti-roll bar thingy fracturing etc etc?

If the anti roll bar link breaks completely the front end handling will be nothing short of shocking.

Blame pot holes & speed humps

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Same on my CLK.

thats interesting, its been a failure for years, its not a major component and wont really effect handling

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
thats interesting, its been a failure for years, its not a major component and wont really effect handling

Not a major component and won't effect handling? Then why an MOT failure? My car failed on this about 2 months ago at a long established and respected garage. The tester himself told me that it would not have failed a year ago as the legislation had since been changed.

I work in the motor industry, and have seen at first hand the lobbying of various government and industry bodies by those looking to increase revenue and turnover of businesses involved in the autotrade.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I worked at Saltdean Garage in the 1980's and remember a great story about an MOT failure on the anti-roll bar rubber bushes on a Porsche.
Our mechanic failed the MOT as they were badly perished and needed replacing.
The fella bought the car back the next day with the anti-roll bar completely removed.
No perished bushes found, nothing to fail it on !!
Our mechanic said the car would have been safer with the anti-roll bar fitted with perished bushes than no anti-roll bar fitted at all.

The MOT is supposed to be about safety of the vehicle but this made a nonsense of that.
This was 30 years ago mind and I've not worked in the motor trade for 25 years so things may be different now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here