Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England Women WIN their 'ASHES' series against Australia!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England women have BEATEN Australia in the second T20 of the series, chasing down 128 to win - a fantastic 80* (64 balls) from Lydia Greenway saw them home... and with that they have WON their 'ASHES' series!

The Test Match at Wormsley was drawn, England won two of the three ODIs at Hove, and the first T20 at Chelmsford... with this T20 win now have an unassailable 10-4 lead in the series.

:clap:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
How can there be a Womens ashes?

Surely thats between the Men's teams only as this was when Australlia beat England for the first time?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Well done to the girls, great innings from Greenway Australia simply didn't know where to bowl to her.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Excellent result! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Went on Sunday to Hove. Match was first class, and the players were a credit to their country. All had lots of time for the kids after and none with anything approaching an ego.

Well done girls!!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Glad to see them win. I went to school with Lydia Greenway. It was amusing as he had just made the England and then came down to the boys practice and I wasnt that impressed! Since then she had got steadily better and really nice to see her get a big knock today.

I am assuming that she now holds the record for highest score by an English woman in international T20?

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I am assuming that she now holds the record for highest score by an English woman in international T20?

Yup - overtaking Sarah Taylor, who held the record for all of two days!

Never seen Greenway make runs before but that was an outstanding knock under pressure. She's also one of the best fielders I've seen in women's or men's cricket, seen her take some absolutely incredible catches on telly over the past couple of years. Great to see the standard of women's international cricket improving so quickly, and TV/crowd interest growing accordingly.

Oct 25, 2003

Surely thats between the Men's teams only as this was when Australlia beat England for the first time?

the term 'ashes' seems to be slowly turning into the name given for any series between england and australia...in any sport

edit...i may have over exaggerated...it's mainly rugby league and the tv show 'gladiators'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, does anyone REALLY give a shit?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

It might just be you and me. I completely support the women's team, I just think only one thing should be called the Ashes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, does anyone REALLY give a shit?

I don't. Went completely under my radar. Its up there with the Tenerife Tenpin Bowling League isn't it, and the Womens Super League, which seems to get an inordinate amount of coverage by BT, despite being watched by three men and a dog.

I'm sure they all enjoyed themselves though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They play for a trophy containing the ashes of a bat (I think its a bat) so why shouldn't they be playing for the Ashes
So it would be fine if every cricket team does the same, and every test match is called the Ashes then? (bails I think)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So it would be fine if every cricket team does the same, and every test match is called the Ashes then? (bails I think)

Yes the "real" ashes was the bails from the first match - Ashes represents England v Australia - they use it in most sports now, Rugby Union and League etc

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ashes represents England v Australia - they use it in most sports now, Rugby Union and League etc
Well I personally think that's stupid. The Ashes meant something because it had history. To call everything the Ashes would take away the meaning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here