Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The draw for the Champions League group stages

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it just me, or is this the most exciting part of the whole competition, with the possible exception of maybe 1 semi final.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It gets more interesting after the second group stage. The first group stage is utterly tedious.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Even money City get group H.

Oct 25, 2003
these coefficient things are utterly ridiculous

arsenal in pot 1, dortmund (last years finalists) in pot THREE alongside man city (never got past the first round)

also seems to reward europa league success (a competition that no-one cares about) by placing shakhtar and cska moscow in pot 2

uefa being run by head mentals as per usual

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
these coefficient things are utterly ridiculous

arsenal in pot 1, dortmund (last years finalists) in pot THREE alongside man city (never got past the first round)

also seems to reward europa league success (a competition that no-one cares about) by placing shakhtar and cska moscow in pot 2

uefa being run by head mentals as per usual

It does seem odd. What is wrong with making the whole thing RANDOM (except perhaps keeping teams from the same countries apart in the first group stage)?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Boring as hell . . . But still watching.

Load of old suits trying to be funny.

The Scottish bloke needs putting in a home

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It does seem odd. What is wrong with making the whole thing RANDOM (except perhaps keeping teams from the same countries apart in the first group stage)?

So have Man U, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Porto all in the same group? Might make for a good group stage but some shit last 16 games and quarter finals

Oct 25, 2003

i have another idea....how about you have ONE team from each country (the league winners...or...champions perhaps). The other teams from each country could then take part in another competition, some sort of "cup", for teams in UEFA...not sure of the name yet. That competition might get a bit crowded, so you could bring in another, one for maybe just "cup winners". Resulting in 3 strong competitions instead of 1 strong competition and 1 that no-one cares about.

You could then get rid of all this mega draw nonsense

edit- i'm aware that the above makes me sound like an old STICK IN THE MUD

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So have Man U, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Porto all in the same group? Might make for a good group stage but some shit last 16 games and quarter finals
Yes but what is the chance of 4 of the top 8 seeds ending up in one group?

I've just worked it out. The chance of that happening is 0.77% - or 77 in a THOUSAND.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
One thing that is good is they still acknowledge the old European cup .

Not like sky and the premier

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
i have another idea....how about you have ONE team from each country (the league winners...or...champions perhaps). The other teams from each country could then take part in another competition, some sort of "cup", for teams in UEFA...not sure of the name yet. That competition might get a bit crowded, so you could bring in another, one for maybe just "cup winners". Resulting in 3 strong competitions instead of 1 strong competition and 1 that no-one cares about.

You could then get rid of all this mega draw nonsense

Ah but luckily we have UEFA in charge so they make one big cash cow competition of all the bigger european sides that they can flog the TV rights and sponsorship deals for vast sums to enable them to fly Michael Owen out to wherever to pull some balls out of a pot.

And after that you then get the thrill of watching Viktoria Plzen vs FC Basel! What more could you want!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here