Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who remembers Monkey Boots

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I was having a chat with a mate today and we started talking about the strange footwear trends of the mid to late 70s and what we liked to wear in those far of days.
I said I was a Kicker fan and he said he loved Monkey boots.
Even though I did own a pair in 77 I had forgotten all about them.

Anyone else remember them.

I think the early Skin heads made them fashionable.

Monkey Boots.JPG

i was having a chat with a mate today and we started talking about the strange footwear trends of the mid to late 70s and what we liked to wear in those far of days.
I said i was a kicker fan and he said he loved monkey boots.
Even though i did own a pair in 77 i had forgotten all about them.

I think the early skin heads made them fashionable.

View attachment 46500
What about ankle boots???

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I never liked Monkey Boots, no idea why. And I'm a big fan of Kickers but they have to be the low cut. Bozza's your man for the high top Kickers.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
I was having a chat with a mate today and we started talking about the strange footwear trends of the mid to late 70s and what we liked to wear in those far of days.
I said I was a Kicker fan and he said he loved Monkey boots.
Even though I did own a pair in 77 I had forgotten all about them.

I think the early Skin heads made them fashionable.

Weller wore a pair on the cover of All Mod Cons.
I saw a kiddy wearing a pair in the East stand last season, they didn't look too bad.

Dandyman

In London village.
I will own up to having had a pair in the late 1970's - depending on your point of view they were either the smooth or soft version of DMs.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
skinhead girls used to wear them ,DM's the real deal
regards
DR

They were before DMs. I had them C 1969. When I had monkey boots I had never even heard of DMs. Had DMs as soon as they were popular, but that was about a year later.

There were monkey boots, these work shoes with a sort of ridge up the fron of them (can't remember their name) and normal army boots. High leg Para boots were the dogs bollox.

Shoes were loafers or brogues.

Jan 30, 2008
They were before DMs. I had them C 1969. When I had monkey boots I had never even heard of DMs. Had DMs as soon as they were popular, but that was about a year later.

There were monkey boots, these work shoes with a sort of ridge up the fron of them (can't remember their name) and normal army boots. High leg Para boots were the dogs bollox.

Shoes were loafers or brogues.
Frank wrights and Gibson brogues, QUARTER INCH STEELS ???
regards
DR

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Frank wrights and Gibson brogues, QUARTER INCH STEELS ???
regards
DR

Frank Write loafers were the cheap ones. The tastles came off after a few days. The leather bit holding them on was useless because there was a whole where it crossed. There were better ones with string holding the tastles on,and all together much cooler - can't remember the maker.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was DMs for me. Progressed from 10 hole to 14 hole, with yellow laces.

I'm sure it was red laces for NF, yellow for Anti Nazi League,white for skinheads. Anyone remember?

Some punks wore red laces, I thought it was a myth about the colour of laces but not 100%.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Poor mans DM. None of us were skinhead or ska but the required look for the 5th year at school was brown DM with yellow stitching and a pair of Oxford bag flared trousers.

Dandyman

In London village.
And a bit later wasn't there a very short-lived craze for the Lonsdale boxing pumps/boots/whatever they were?

Lonsdale Boxing Boots - although they tended to be the training version rather than the leather ones. I also had a pair of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here