Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Astronomy

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Oh combined wisdom of NSC
I am looking to getting into astronomy, all i know is i need to start with a pair of binoculars and go from there. however, what pair to get and where to go from there eludes me. please advise :)

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I think it may be a double moon tonight as mars is at its closest and will look a bit like two moons maybe worth a look?

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i shall pop my head out the window, but unless it can be viewed the naked eye i wont be able to see it :(

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Orions belt does it for me, mirroring the 3 main pyramids at Giza, while the Milky Way mirrors the Nile

giza3.gif
belt.gif

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Oh combined wisdom of NSC
I am looking to getting into astronomy, all i know is i need to start with a pair of binoculars and go from there. however, what pair to get and where to go from there eludes me. please advise :)

There are books available (check Amazon) on Astronomy with the Naked Eye. A quick search on some Astro web sites will give you info regarding what bins to get. As for telescopes, the general rule of thumb is don't spend less than about £400, but you can get some bargains on eBay - I got my 5" reflector for £100 (£200 new) - it came with an equatorial mount and motor drive, so I'm just getting around to some webcam photography with it.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
after a bit of research i'm leaning towards either a pair of 10x50s, or a pair of15x70's with a tripod. Want ireally want to do when i get thehang of it is get into astro photography. However i first need to be able to find the things i want to photograph.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There is a star that has gone Nova and may be visible to the naked eye-check Google for its location.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I got in to Astronomy about two years ago and can heartily recommend registering with this site:http://heavens-above.com
Once you have registered and stored your location (check your longtitude/latitude using google maps) you can get an up to the minute 'Sky Chart' detailing everything real time above you. It also has a concise timetable of ISS passes along with Iridium flares. Well worth bookmarking.

I started at the same time as a mate of mine and I am still at the 'Happy with my Bino's stage (although I do have a telescope but mostly use it in the winter)' he has branched off in to photography (layering etc.) which again is relatively easy to get started with.

Worth joining worthing astronomers as well, all free and send you a decent monthly newsletter.

If your on facebook then hook up with Skywatchers, some really keen amateurs along with some really knowledgeable professional heads.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
You can definitely see Mars (and Venus) on a clear day with the naked eye. They look like rather bright stars but they can be distinguished from stars because planets don't twinkle. Fun factoid.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
I gather the shop n Going is one of the best - opposte the Mulberry (if it's still called that)

yeah sussex astronomy, i used to live right near to it. my issue is i now live in norway :'(

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
I got in to Astronomy about two years ago and can heartily recommend registering with this site:http://heavens-above.com
Once you have registered and stored your location (check your longtitude/latitude using google maps) you can get an up to the minute 'Sky Chart' detailing everything real time above you. It also has a concise timetable of ISS passes along with Iridium flares. Well worth bookmarking.

I started at the same time as a mate of mine and I am still at the 'Happy with my Bino's stage (although I do have a telescope but mostly use it in the winter)' he has branched off in to photography (layering etc.) which again is relatively easy to get started with.

Worth joining worthing astronomers as well, all free and send you a decent monthly newsletter.

If your on facebook then hook up with Skywatchers, some really keen amateurs along with some really knowledgeable professional heads.

wow, thanks! out of interest what binoculars do you use?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
10x50's I bought from lidl for £20.
Good enough to see Andromeda and appreciate Pleiades.

The guy who owns the Astronomy shop in Goring runs Worthing Astronomers. Go in there if you are seriously considering getting in to photography, or If you join Skywatchers my mate who I mentioned in the earlier post runs that site, his photos have been shown on 'The Sky at Night' and is passionate about sharing his knowledge.

Sorry! Didn't read the bit about you living in Norway! Maybe a bit far to pop in the shop!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here