Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Old photos of Brighton

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Some great photo's

Remember the old Churchill Square like that so clearly. Towards the end, the rear of the old complex was very spooky with all the derelict shops and escalators.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Just found this online - great little clip of a trip up north street

[video]http://www.britishpathe.com/video/shops/query/brighton[/video]

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The one of St James's Street looks more recent than the 60s

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Spent ages in the Virgin record shop in Queens Rd.

Me too. Remember it well. I once bought a Stiff Little Fingers album in there but had to take it back because they'd accidentally (?) inserted a classical music record in the sleeve instead... I put it on expecting to hear 'Wasted Life' or 'Suspect Device' and all I got was a violin concerto!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Some good snaps there.

In this one of the pier, you can see a sign that says CONCORDE. Is this a sign pointing down Madeira Drive to the Concorde 2 or was there another Concorde to which is refers?

enhanced-buzz-21435-1376991228-10.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Some good snaps there.

In this one of the pier, you can see a sign that says CONCORDE. Is this a sign pointing down Madeira Drive to the Concorde 2 or was there another Concorde to which is refers?

It's the original Concorde, which is why the current one is called Concorde2.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Just found this online - great little clip of a trip up north street

[video]http://www.britishpathe.com/video/shops/query/brighton[/video]

Excellent finds, there is a comment on this clip that says "After 01:02 it remains unclear exactly where the journey takes us." Well it's western Road coming back towards the Clock Tower with the old Churchill Square on the right handside.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes but what was the original Concorde? Surely the present site has been the same for many moons

Not sure, I think it was a music venue too... I think the present Concorde has only been on that site for 10-15 years or so. Others on here with more local knowledge than me would know.

Jimmy Grimble

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Yes but what was the original Concorde? Surely the present site has been the same for many moons

That is the site of the original Concord club, it was a bit of a dive but had some legendary nights down there, my favourite was the BigBeatBoutique nights, it's where Norman Cook started and where FatBoy Slim was created. The Concord got knocked down when they did the redevelopment of that part when they put the Burger King and the arcades there.

I believe the Concord then had nights at the Honey and Beach clubs on kings road arches whilst they redeveloped the current site along the strip. Which used to a bikers cafe if I remember rightly. Had some cracking nights in the new venue too.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I believe the Concord then had nights at the Honey and Beach clubs on kings road arches whilst they redeveloped the current site along the strip. Which used to a bikers cafe if I remember rightly. Had some cracking nights in the new venue too.

Ah. that's right - the bikers' cafe. I once went in there for breakfast and they basically refused to serve us as we obviously weren't bikers...

Anyone know when the old Concord closed down?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
That is the site of the original Concord club, it was a bit of a dive but had some legendary nights down there, my favourite was the BigBeatBoutique nights, it's where Norman Cook started and where FatBoy Slim was created. The Concord got knocked down when they did the redevelopment of that part when they put the Burger King and the arcades there.

Thanks. I don't remember the old site at all, although it was obviously still standing not THAT long ago. Always wondered about the significance of the 2 in the name of the current Concorde. Now I know.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Ah. that's right - the bikers' cafe. I once went in there for breakfast and they basically refused to serve us as we obviously weren't bikers...

Anyone know when the old Concord closed down?

I'm not exactly sure but I think the late 90's, possibly early 2000's, that time of my life (teens to early 20's) is all a bit of a chemically induced blurr.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here