[Albion] Evening Argus report: Brighton 7-2 York City, 1976

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks to willow147 who has sent me a scan of this fondly remembered match:

yorkheadline.jpg

wardmellor.jpg

For the whole article, plus lots of photos and videos of two of the goals, please go to:
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/08/28/match-report-brighton-7-2-york-city-1976/

Enjoy!
What a team we had back then.

I only wish I had the full 'Match of the Day' highlights. Didn't anyone record them at the time?!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I love how the shirts aren't quite identical (look at the umbro badges). Fantastic stuff.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Excellent picture of Wardy and Spider, moved me to change my avatar!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm not sure we had videos back in 197s did we?

Thanks. I knew that some (rich) people had VHS recorders in the 1970s before the boom in the 1980s, but I see now that 1976 would have been a few years too early!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Next home match was 1-1 v Palace, then the Walsall game, which was 0-0 HT

Indeed, was 3 weeks later....forgotten how we scored 5 in the 2nd half for this match as well as the famous 7 for the Walsall..was in the back row of the South for the 7 but which end did the 5 go in I was there but can't recall!?
not scored 7 in a half since have we & never will again! but when was the last 5, in the tinpot 8-0 at Withdean?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Indeed, was 3 weeks later....forgotten how we scored 5 in the 2nd half for this match as well as the famous 7 for the Walsall..was in the back row of the South for the 7 but which end did the 5 go in I was there but can't recall!?
not scored 7 in a half since have we & never will again! but when was the last 5, in the tinpot 8-0 at Withdean?

North end for the York five.

I stand to be corrected, but I think all the seven Walsall goals were actually scored in the last 28 mins of the match (ie it was still 0-0 well into the second-half). I'm not sure when the 6th goal went in, but whenever it was it must surely be the record for two complete hat-tricks (Ward and Mellor) in the shortest space of time (I'm guessing 20-25 mins).

I missed very few home games that season, but sadly York and Walsall were two of them. At least York was on MoTD. In a 'Likely Lads' scenario, I tried to avoid finding out the score before watching the highlights, but someone told me there were nine goals!!! I spent the evening going through possible scorelines in my head - 9-0, 5-4 or perhaps we'd lost 6-3...? (2-2 at half-time didn't help, much...).

Knock Kneed Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
Remember the York game so well. As usual got the train from Worthing and sat opposite Barry Davies who was on his way to cover the match for MOTD. Got chatting and he asked what we reckoned the score would be !! If only we knew what was about to happen - what a game and what a team.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Remember the York game so well. As usual got the train from Worthing and sat opposite Barry Davies who was on his way to cover the match for MOTD. Got chatting and he asked what we reckoned the score would be !! If only we knew what was about to happen - what a game and what a team.

Great story! They certainly chose the right day to feature a 3rd Division game - didn't happen very often.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
so, the 7-2 win was on Match of the Day, but only 2 goals have survived? I wonder if the BBC still have the footage?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Never get tired of seeing that Wardy goal.
Watched the York game but missed the win against Walsall as I was on holiday.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
so, the 7-2 win was on Match of the Day, but only 2 goals have survived? I wonder if the BBC still have the footage?

If anyone knows the guy who made the Peter Ward VHS tape, they'd be able to answer. It seems strange that two non-consecutive goals of a nine goal thriller survive but the rest doesn't. This match ought to get as much of an airing on retro football DVDs as Spurs 9-0 Bristol Rovers, or Brighton 2-8 Bristol Rovers. Sadly, it doesn't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here