Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lee Clark - Knob or not?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lee Clark is banging on about complaining about Yeovil as they scored a goal when one of their players was injured and they'd kicked the ball out of play. However, Yeovil subsequently let them walk the ball into the net for an equalizer in extra time and Brum won on penalties. Fair play to Gary Johnson and it isn't the first time one of his teams has let the opponents score. I doubt if Clark would ever do the same!

Have to say one of my big bug bears are teams that don't kick the ball out of play when one of their players is down but once they lose the ball they expect the opponents to kick it out.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23764050

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Irespective of the rights and wrongs of this particular incident, Lee Clark is definitely a knob.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
He's a knob. Only the ref should stop the game, and if so restart with a drop ball. Players have no business bringing the play to a halt, it really is one of my bugbears. Clarke should get over it especially as Gary Johnson gave them a free goal.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Birmingham were a goal up, in stoppage time and in possession when they put the ball out after the defender hit the deck and stayed down. Yeovil took the throw and lobbed the keeper to equalise and take it to extra time and then only once they'd gone 3-2 up did they let Birmingham score

If we had been in Birmingham's position we'd be livid

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
What's his complaint? Sounds like Yeovil immediately recognised their mistake and made amends.

It doesn't seem to happen so much these days, but it always annoyed me that all play was expected to stop just because a player was down injured (and more often than not he was able to get straight back up).

Edit to add - sounds like Yeovil weren't quite as sporting as first suggested then. At least they still attempted to throw it back to the keeper. I wouldn't be too bothered if this sporting gesture was done away with; it might stop players going down 'injured' so often.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Birmingham were a goal up, in stoppage time and in possession when they put the ball out after the defender hit the deck and stayed down. Yeovil took the throw and lobbed the keeper to equalise and take it to extra time and then only once they'd gone 3-2 up did they let Birmingham score

If we had been in Birmingham's position we'd be livid

All the more reason to stop this pathetic nonsense of kicking the ball out when someone decides they need a lie down. :nono:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
What's his complaint? Sounds like Yeovil immediately recognised their mistake and made amends.

It doesn't seem to happen so much these days, but it always annoyed me that all play was expected to stop just because a player was down injured (and more often than not he was able to get straight back up).

It wasn't immediately. Yeovil's controversial goal was in the 90th minute, they let Birmingham walk one in in the 106th minute after Yeovil had already scored another in the 105th. Bit of a delayed reaction if you ask me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As to the convention generally, I think that if you kick the ball out to allow your OPPONENT'S player to be treated, then absolutely you'd expect them to appreciate that, and return the ball from the throw in. If you boot the ball out for one of your own players, (who in this case has conviniently got 'injured' in injury time, one goal ahead) then you should definitely NOT assume you'll be given it back.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

No they didn't. They waited until they had equalised, taken the game into extra time, took the lead before "realising their mistake". They changed their fortunes from a goal down with a minute or two left before they were knocked out, and by the time they made amends, they were level and heading toward a penalty shoot out with the chance to progress in the cup.

Lee Clark reminds me of someone, and I'm not sure who, maybe keith lemon or Danny Pensive

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
It wasn't immediately. Yeovil's controversial goal was in the 90th minute, they let Birmingham walk one in in the 106th minute after Yeovil had already scored another in the 105th. Bit of a delayed reaction if you ask me.

True, but if you're in extra time and losing, and the opposition team has a man go down out of cramp/tiredness/fakeyitis/whatever, and *they* kick the ball out of play, is the onus on your team to give the ball back to them?

I'm sure if you watch the last 10 minutes of the match you'll see umpteen instances of Birmingham timewasting. Then Lee Clark comes on and talks not only about being a "good sportsman" but also belittling the goal that Yeovil gave them back after they reached their own decision.

To conclude: yep, absolute knob.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Shite manager and a complete prick. Hope they go down this season, doesn't look unlikely either.

Yeovil definitely in the wrong on this though, maybe they'll even get sanctioned for bringing the game into disrepute.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Feigning injury or making the most of a minor injury to get the ball kicked out of play really winds me up. Most players only stay down whilst the opposition has the ball and is attacking in the hope some sucker will kick the ball out. It's totally abused and I would rather teams played on until it was clear the injury was serious. If the player really was injured and the opposition scored while he was down and he subsequently took no further part in the game, only then would it be right to allow the injured players side to walk the ball into the net.

I think it is pretty clear to the ref if an injury warrants the immediate stopping of a game, as in the recent Newport game when their lad broke his leg, but in most situations there is either no real injury or it's very minor and the player could leave the field, with the refs permission, for treatment. Time and again, injuries are feigned for tactical purposes and players are encouraged to stay down until the game is stopped.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here