Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our scouting network.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
How is it set up?
Holloway revealed the Palace have a terrible network.It made me wonder how ours is set up.Barnes has turned out to be a good signing, and Ince looks a bit special.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ask the Club. I don't see why you wouldn't get some sort of reply.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whatever it is, it's still better than Arsenals!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Don't forget that we've made a couple of duff signings as well. Harley and Jobbie for example.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
David Burke will be overseeing it all as head of football, under him there's a performance analysis department and a scouting department. The performance analysis department analyse performances of potential recruits and academy youngsters and the development squad. The scouting network has a manager and then a number of part time UK and European scouts.

AFAIK Holloway was complaining about having only part time scouts but I'm pretty sure most clubs set up in this way, with part time scouts that might be looking at players for multiple clubs, as it doesn't make sense for most teams to have full time people on the payroll given the number you need to look at multiple players all playing Saturday/Sunday.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Don't forget that we've made a couple of duff signings as well. Harley and Jobbie for example.

Who had looked really good for their previous clubs. You can't guarantee that players will continue to play well at a different club.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I wonder if palace do actually have a terrible scouting network or if Holloway is trying to cover his arse

I more than expect it is this, afterall they did pick out Campane who is a massive coup. I'd suggest its more of a lack of direction in terms of their transfer dealins, one one side they have picked up a lot of promising youngsters (Gayle and Campane) and on the other Dobbie, Chamakh and possibly Bendtner.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Every team makes good and bad signings. You can have the best scouting network but they still couldn't tell you how a player will fit in with your team.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
David Burke will be overseeing it all as head of football, under him there's a performance analysis department and a scouting department. The performance analysis department analyse performances of potential recruits and academy youngsters and the development squad. The scouting network has a manager and then a number of part time UK and European scouts.

AFAIK Holloway was complaining about having only part time scouts but I'm pretty sure most clubs set up in this way, with part time scouts that might be looking at players for multiple clubs, as it doesn't make sense for most teams to have full time people on the payroll given the number you need to look at multiple players all playing Saturday/Sunday.

Can you imagine if all 500 European Teams interested sent seperate scouts who went and watched some hot property Croatian 18 year old playing for a first team out there?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Every team makes good and bad signings. You can have the best scouting network but they still couldn't tell you how a player will fit in with your team.

That's only true to a point, isn't it? If you've got a joined up scouting system, properly integrated with the current first team coaching staff, then they should absolutely be trying to identify players to fit with the playing style, as well as the level of raw talent they possess.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Did'nt we appoint Mervyn Day as the scouting manager last year or am I imagining things again?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I would imagine they signed Dobbie on Holloway's personal say-so.
Nothing to do with scouts, good or bad. Entirely down to the manager who is now trying to shift some of the blame.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's arguably the widest and most thorough networks in the Championship.

And yet with a couple of notable exceptions (eg Ulloa) our first team recruitment seem to have been based purely on:

1. Players the manager / director of football had worked with before - Brezovan, Buckley, Ankergren...
2. Players who put in one good performance against us - Harley, Hoskins, Noone...
3. Young players surplus to requirements at Chelsea - Bridcutt, Ince, Sampayo...
4. Swansea cast offs - Painter, Dobbie, Harley, Agustein...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here