Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

england squad for upcoming games

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
England squad named
Tuesday, 27 August, 2013 0 0 18 64 Click here to have this article read to you.
Ross BarkleyRickie Lambert celebrates Andros Townsend
ROSS BARKLEY AND ANDROS TOWNSEND EARN FIRST SENIOR CALL-UPS

England manager Roy Hodgson has named his squad to face Moldova and Ukraine and has handed Ross Barkley and Andros Townsend their first senior call-ups.

Rickie Lambert's memorable debut against Scotland and subsequent league form is enough to earn him a second call-up to the squad, while Liverpool's in-form striker Daniel Sturridge returns after missing the previous game through injury.

There is also a return to the squad for uncapped Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster, who replaces the injured Ben Foster.

England take on Moldova at Wembley on 6 September, before travelling to Kyiv to face Ukraine on 10 September.

The squad

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Everton), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Forwards: Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Rickie Lambert (Southampton), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/england/News/2...world-cup-qualifiers.aspx#EOyURrTZ4fmwtc6u.99

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I didn't think Stirling was even playing for Liverpool

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why WHY WHY do we do this to our youngsters.

Ross Barkley has talent. It's been known for years, but he's only just starting games now. Just leave him alone and let him play for Everton for a bit.

Andros Townsend on the other hand did his best to try and signle handedly keep QPR up whilst at them. He was, honestly, brilliant on occasions. Still feels quite early to chuck him in but certainly makes more sense than Ross Barkley.

Ps. I realise the irony of him now scoring for England but that's not really my point. Clearly talented but why do we do this to our youngsters? On MOTD when he scored on the first weekend of the season the commentator said "Great news in a world cup year". Blloody hell. No pressure then!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why WHY WHY do we do this to our youngsters.

Ross Barkley has talent. It's been known for years, but he's only just starting games now. Just leave him alone and let him play for Everton for a bit.

Andros Townsend on the other hand did his best to try and signle handedly keep QPR up whilst at them. He was, honestly, brilliant on occasions. Still feels quite early to chuck him in but certainly makes more sense than Ross Barkley.

Ps. I realise the irony of him now scoring for England but that's not really my point. Clearly talented but why do we do this to our youngsters? On MOTD when he scored on the first weekend of the season the commentator said "Great news in a world cup year". Blloody hell. No pressure then!

While I agree about building people up to quickly, I think Hodgson's putting youngsters in the squad not because he expects them to play but so that they can learn, he can have a better look at them and if they are used in a 6 months time they're more relaxed. International managers don't get much time to work with players. Also isn't the story that Baines seemed too nervous when joining up the squad ahead of the last world cup so Capello took Warnock instead? that decision looks pretty mental at the moment

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Barkley has one good game and gets straight in the England side, typical.

As for Andros Townsend, he is utter dross. Just what has he done to deserve a call-up? What has Sterling done to prove he is good enough?

If players like Townsend and Sterling etc were Spanish, they would find it tough to get into the under-21's let alone the senior squad. Why is there this rush to put every 17-21 year old that shows any kind of promise straight into the first team? Isn't that what the under-21's is for?

About time Forster got a call-up though.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
While I agree about building people up to quickly, I think Hodgson's putting youngsters in the squad not because he expects them to play but so that they can learn, he can have a better look at them and if they are used in a 6 months time they're more relaxed. International managers don't get much time to work with players. Also isn't the story that Baines seemed too nervous when joining up the squad ahead of the last world cup so Capello took Warnock instead? that decision looks pretty mental at the moment

I read somewhere (quite reliable, i think) warnick got taken ahead of baines because baines was suffering from chronic homesickness.

Otherwise I agree with you about why he's been included, although if that's the reason he shouldn't be named. It is unfair to build him up like that. Not that that's hodgsons intention, it's just our shithouse of a media that will.

You used to had to have two good seasons for your club to represent your country, now it's two games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Worst midfield ever.

We are awful.

Argentina have

Lamela
Messi
Higuian
Lavezzi
Di Maria
Aguero
Yeah but can they do it on a wet Wednesday night at Wigan?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only 4 I have never heard of. Things are improving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here