Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to University car parking protocols?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Got to the University about 1.15pm, last Saturday and was told to go to car park 1, as car park 4 is now disabled only (fair enough) and that the University no longer allows match day parking in 3 & 2. Car park 3 had stewards chasing people out who had the temerity to try and park there (even though empty) and writing down the registration numbers of those who parked regardless. There were no stewards at car park 2, so people were parking in there. I sent an email to the club asking what the official protocols are for University parking and if they had changed, so awaiting a reply.

Anyone any the wiser?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
new Park n Ride service from University Car Park 1 ?!!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Got to the University about 1.15pm, last Saturday and was told to go to car park 1, as car park 4 is now disabled only (fair enough) and that the University no longer allows match day parking in 3 & 2. Car park 3 had stewards chasing people out who had the temerity to try and park there (even though empty) and writing down the registration numbers of those who parked regardless. There were no stewards at car park 2, so people were parking in there. I sent an email to the club asking what the official protocols are for University parking and if they had changed, so awaiting a reply.

Anyone any the wiser?

We arrived just after 14:00, and were directed by the stewards into Car Park 3, which was filling up rapidly at the time.

I_am_JOSH

Nov 30, 2012
Sussex Uni
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but there was a wedding starting during the match. I was thinking that it was very bad planing as I saw it. Don't know the car park numbers, but they were putting them in the car park at the back.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was directed to car park 2 by a steward (obviously a rogue anarchist)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We were told that we should not be parking in car park 3 and when asked where we should be parking the steward pointed to Bennetts field on a map he had. As he clearly did not know what he was talking about we ignored him, left the car there and proceeded to the match.

Is it a new company running this as they seemed a bit clueless of what should be happening and there was nobody stopping and checking cars as we entered the campus?

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
The stewards in that car park are as much use as a cock flavoured lolly pop... I asked 3 of them if my brother who was meant to be in the car with me could pay on the gate one said I don't see why not the other just looked at me gaumlessly and the other said I don't know mate I just get paid to point people where to park...

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Getting back to the original point, this is a real pain in the backside. I always get to the car park early, (about 1pm last Saturday), and as for the Derby match I had to go to Car Park 1 which is the furthest away from the ground. I moaned to the steward and said that one of the reasons for getting in before the rush was so that the walk to the ground was shorter and therefore quicker to get away from at the end. I was also given the fob off about a wedding although I didn't see much evidence of one.

It now seems that to get in car park 2 or 3 I have to leave it as late as possible to arrive, so if I do that will be less dosh to the club, (about £25 in food and drink for Burnley).

I'll be interested to hear the reply from the club to the op e-mail. I understand that the stewarding has been taken over by a firm rather than by using the club casuals so that might have something to do with it as well.

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
I think it should be back to normal from this Saturday. A group of us spoke to the chief steward for the uni football parking and she (her name was Ali) explained the following;
There is a new firm stewarding the car parking in the uni on behalf of the club - it is no longer the club stewards doing it so hopefully not six at a time doing the job of one person;
It was only their second game so they are still learning;
They "assumed" they it was logical to start using the biggest car park (1) first then 2 and then 3 before moving on to 6 onward;
They applied their own "logic" and assumed that the people arriving earlier would have time to walk further to the ground (!)
Ali listened to what we said and agreed that they would immediately start filling 3 first, then 2 and then 1 before moving to other car parks (which is why those arriving around 1.00 to 1.15ish were in 1 and those arriving a bit later were allowed into 3
Ali also confirmed that there were no weddings or similar and that there were no instructions from the Uni or the club and that they simply applied what, on paper, seemed logical but would change to what had worked for the last two seasons
So fingers crossed for Saturday

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I think it should be back to normal from this Saturday. A group of us spoke to the chief steward for the uni football parking and she (her name was Ali) explained the following;
There is a new firm stewarding the car parking in the uni on behalf of the club - it is no longer the club stewards doing it so hopefully not six at a time doing the job of one person;
It was only their second game so they are still learning;
They "assumed" they it was logical to start using the biggest car park (1) first then 2 and then 3 before moving on to 6 onward;
They applied their own "logic" and assumed that the people arriving earlier would have time to walk further to the ground (!)
Ali listened to what we said and agreed that they would immediately start filling 3 first, then 2 and then 1 before moving to other car parks (which is why those arriving around 1.00 to 1.15ish were in 1 and those arriving a bit later were allowed into 3
Ali also confirmed that there were no weddings or similar and that there were no instructions from the Uni or the club and that they simply applied what, on paper, seemed logical but would change to what had worked for the last two seasons
So fingers crossed for Saturday

Thanks for that and for finding out why they were doing it. Hopefully all will back to normal Saturday.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sorry Ken, I really hope you are right, but the club said the opposite to me. Although car park 4, is supposed to now be disabled, I saw a very able-bodied set of fans coming out at 1245. As I drive supporters of 75 years of age plus, I am quite irked by this new arrangement.

Of course I could drop them off and pick them up, but they prefer to stay with me.

We were in Bennets Field last year and hadn't asked to be moved.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I always head to car park one anyway so no problem for me but I do wish the stewards would sort the zebra crossing out after a game. Surely not difficult to hold the traffic and pedestrians alternately to let people and cars progress safely. Instead they just stand and watch.

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
In my view car park 1 is the best option, as after the game you can nip out the top exit straight onto the A27. I had my best ever return trip on Saturday, with a speedy getaway, followed by absolutely no traffic hold-ups. Back home in Somerset by 7.40, including a stop at Pease Pottage for a take-away flat white!

Sorry Ken, I really hope you are right, but the club said the opposite to me. Although car park 4, is supposed to now be disabled, I saw a very able-bodied set of fans coming out at 1245. As I drive supporters of 75 years of age plus, I am quite irked by this new arrangement.

Of course I could drop them off and pick them up, but they prefer to stay with me.

The minibus shuttle service between Sussex University and the stadium runs from Car Park 5 (opposite the Gardner Centre and next to the Sports Hall). It seems odd if Car Park 4 has been designated for disabled supporters. I've raised the matter with the Club and will report back.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
The minibus shuttle service between Sussex University and the stadium runs from Car Park 5 (opposite the Gardner Centre and next to the Sports Hall). It seems odd if Car Park 4 has been designated for disabled supporters. I've raised the matter with the Club and will report back.

I was told the same at the Derby game when I queried why the car park was virtually empty. Interestingly on Saturday at the end of the game there were spaces in both 5 and 4.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

we were told by a very authoritative and well spoken attendant near CP3 that CP5 was for the most disabled people, CP4 (1st one up the hill) was for slightly disabled, CP3 (up hill, turn right, 1st left) isn't being used this season, so we should use CP1 Being difficult we parked in CP2.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

So 'able-bodied looking' fans can't possibly be disabled as that's the right of the elderly, is it?!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I arrived about 13:30, and was directed to Car Park 3, with no issues at all.

Could be because I was one of the ones asking why we were being directed to Car Park 1. Some idiot steward at first said it was because the club had not sold enough parking tickets and the Uni wouldn't let Albion fans to park anywhere other than Car Park 1. Then he said it was the overspill car park for Bennetts Field and has to be kept empty. Eventually I got to speak to a supervisor called Annie who told me that Stephen Reid at the club told them to fill the furthest car parks first but the complaints were so many that they returned to normal procedure. There were a lot of very pissed off people trying to park their cars on Saturday.

I ignored the steward after being given so many bullshit excuses and parked in car park 3 after seeing numerous mirror hanger parking permits in cars already in there.

Yet another example of people at the club not having a fecking clue implementing new procedures for something that didn't need changing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here