Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bath / tile / toilet / sink etc resurfacing rather than replace - anyone done it?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Hi, I'm currently pricing up a new bathroom. It's only a small one and is in very good condition - the previous owner (we moves here in May) kept it spotless - the bath and tiles are A1 - except they are advacado green bile grey green mix!

The tiles are also great, but similar colour. The sink and toilet match - but in any case ill replace the toilet with one with a 'Buck Rodgers' soft close lid!

I've seen a few ads on the net for firms that come to your home and resurface your bath there and then, they also can re coat tiles and sinks etc. it's cheaper than replacing and loads less hassle (apparently)...

Any NSC'ers done this or know anyone who has? It seems like a good idea and the before and after pics are great on websites...

Last edited:

Isn't what keeps a bath in good condition the fact that it's been well looked after, since it was first installed? I can't help thinking that resurfacing will simply start a process that results in the bath being extremely difficult to keep looking good.

I agree about the colour issue, though. Avocado bathrooms were one of the style crimes of the 1980s. I know. I fitted one. Thankfully it's now gone.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've done a few bathrooms in various houses/flats I've owned and I would always take the old tiles off and replace them. If you're looking to do it on a limited budget, what I did in one of the flats was to get a load of plain white "trade" tiles and couple of mosaic tiles (the sort where there is a mosaic pattern on a sort of webbing backing so you can cut it into strips) and use the mosaics as a border. Should be able to do the whole bathroom for about £100
Same with the basin and bath, you can get a plain white "trade" set for under £200.
Is it really worth refurbishing for that price.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
Dont do it mate.
I worked for a guy that brought a franchise from a company that re surfaced bathrooms and it is shite.
I did it for a year and the whole time i was going around to people houses (that had had it done previous) trying to sort out problems.
They strip the enamel of your old suite with acid then re spray. Trouble is, it comes off and you are left with a bad problem.
I felt terrible going around to these poor sods houses knowing that they would have to pay to replace the whole suite because it was ruined by the shite that the installers had put on.

Dont touch it mate. Its rubbish

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Cheers guys, I'll probably just get a new suite then - basic ones aren't that expensive - it just sea such a waste as all the units are in good clean working (bile / avocado green) order. One thing I didn't mention earlier was that the bathroom is used very little - guests ad the occasional bath as we use our en suite on a daily basis. Having sad that, our baby is due any day now so I guess we use it more in the future.

Next question... After I've ripped out the old tiles do I re tile prior to putting in (or getting a plumber) or just out the new suite in and then tile? I'm an enthusiastic novice DIYer - is it worth paying someone to do the lot it give it a go myself?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I had avocado bathroom tiles as well but painted them with tile paint. Did the job.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Up north it may cost you a barn cake & a few pints of heavy-------but down in the south it will cost 2 grand and that's if you supply the materials

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Up north it may cost you a barn cake & a few pints of heavy
BarM cake please

You'll find prices have gone up round here recent like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here