Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone on here had DVT?

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
So I was diagnosed with DVT yesterday after going to doc with a swollen ankle several weeks after breaking it. Got to have injections in the stomach every day until the blood thins enough from the rat poison I have to take every day also.

Anyone had any experiences of this?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yep.

I don't know that I had DVT, but I had been feeling very breathless after little exertion so, cut a long story short, went to the doctor, who sent me to the hospital, and I was diagnosed with a blood clot on my lung two months ago.

I had a course of Tinzaparin injected into the my stomach once a day for five days, and am on Warfarin. The Tinzaparin is a 'booster' to the Warfarin; the latter takes a few days to make a difference. What they also said was that this will immediately stop new clots forming, and will eventually dissipate the clot(s) that are there.

What the doctors were looking for next is with me is my INR reading to stabilise between 2.0 and 3.0, which means that they started on a high dose of Warfarin, and brought it down until they found the right dose to stabilise my readings. They were stable until I went on holiday, and on my return had a blood test reading which was below the target threshold (i.e. blood too thick), so have had four more injections over four days this weekend to thin the blood a bit more.

I'm really hoping for a good test result tomorrow morning, as I am cheesed off with the injections.

Taking the Warfarin doesn't bother me, with the exception that I have to cut right back on my booze. Oh, and I have to cut out cranberry juice, not that that was ever an issue.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Yep.

I don't know that I had DVT, but I had been feeling very breathless after little exertion so, cut a long story short, went to the doctor, who sent me to the hospital, and I was diagnosed with a blood clot on my lung two months ago.

I had a course of Tinzaparin injected into the my stomach once a day for five days, and am on Warfarin. The Tinzaparin is a 'booster' to the Warfarin; the latter takes a few days to make a difference. What they also said was that this will immediately stop new clots forming, and will eventually dissipate the clot(s) that are there.

What the doctors were looking for next is with me is my INR reading to stabilise between 2.0 and 3.0, which means that they started on a high dose of Warfarin, and brought it down until they found the right dose to stabilise my readings. They were stable until I went on holiday, and on my return had a blood test reading which was below the target threshold (i.e. blood too thick), so have had four more injections over four days this weekend to thin the blood a bit more.

I'm really hoping for a good test result tomorrow morning, as I am cheesed off with the injections.

Taking the Warfarin doesn't bother me, with the exception that I have to cut right back on my booze. Oh, and I have to cut out cranberry juice, not that that was ever an issue.

Sounds very similar to me although my clot is in the back of my knee and thankfully hasn't travelled. They are injecting me until I get to an INR of 2 (only went up by 0.1 on first day so this might take a while) - and on a daily basis tell me how much Warfarin to take... It sounds like once I get to 2 I won't have to be tested every day, and will have a lower dosage of the tablets.

My concern is the clot travelling to be honest as I know how dangerous it can be, and how do i know if it has? Sounds like the injections effectively put a shield around it to stop it travelling and then the tablets eventually break up the clot as you say.

I don't drink anyway so haven't got a prob with that and think its bizarre that cranberry juice thins the blood! No aspirin either but that's no biggy. The injections don't hurt, just a pain having to be in at a certain time for the nurses to come and do them.

Good luck with your test results tomorrow - yours sounds more serious than mine given the location of the clot, so hope it dissipates soon.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My brother had a DVT a few years ago and was very poorly for a while.

Generally back to normal but has to be a little careful and not overdo things.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sounds very similar to me although my clot is in the back of my knee and thankfully hasn't travelled. They are injecting me until I get to an INR of 2 (only went up by 0.1 on first day so this might take a while) - and on a daily basis tell me how much Warfarin to take... It sounds like once I get to 2 I won't have to be tested every day, and will have a lower dosage of the tablets.

My concern is the clot travelling to be honest as I know how dangerous it can be, and how do i know if it has?
Sounds like the injections effectively put a shield around it to stop it travelling and then the tablets eventually break up the clot as you say.

I don't drink anyway so haven't got a prob with that and think its bizarre that cranberry juice thins the blood! No aspirin either but that's no biggy. The injections don't hurt, just a pain having to be in at a certain time for the nurses to come and do them.

Good luck with your test results tomorrow - yours sounds more serious than mine given the location of the clot, so hope it dissipates soon.

If it has travelled to your lung, you may well experience breathlessness and a certain amount of chest and arm pain after very little exertion.

However, if you're on treatment, the chances of that happening are now extremely slim.

You're best off asking the medical bods a bunch of 'what if...' questions.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
i have twiced suffered with DVT, the first time was after having an operation and being confined to my hospital bed for a number of days. The second time i have no idea what caused it , but on this occasion it travelled up to my lungs which was extremely scary when that happened. On both occasions i had injections in the stomach for five days , as mentioned above these prevent the clot from moving. Each time i was put on warfarin for 6 months and i opted to stay off alcohol completely for the duration, i did find having to go to hospital each week to have my INR levels taken more of an inconvenience than actually having to remember to take the correct dose of warfarin each day .

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, although they were never sure what caused my host of blood clots on my lungs, so I am on warfarin for life now. Have to take simvastatins every day to help with cholesterol. I rattle!

I had all the same of Alan's treatment and my warfarin levels are 4.5 and 5 on alternate days. INR is between 2 and 3 and I get it checked every 8 weeks at boots now...average 2.6 so am very happy with that.

Green veg does interfere with your warfarin levels, but if you eat greens regularly then it won't affect...it's just doing something out of the ordinary.

DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING WITH FEN IN IT, ie ibuprofen as this seriously messes with warfarin and watch all sorts of medicine, cold stuff etc. ask a pharmacist when you buy anything...even strepsils can interfere. Take strong paracetamol.

Basic rule, if you are not sure, ask your medical practitioner...or my nurse laura ( my daughter) who actually saved my life as the **** doctor at the hospital was sending me home with an adjustment to my bp pills until she told him in no uncertain terms to send me for a ct scan, where they found the clots. I owe her my life

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys, some useful information there that the docs didnt tell me! I struggle to trust doctors as have had some bad experiences but sometimes you just don't have a choice...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING WITH FEN IN IT, ie ibuprofen as this seriously messes with warfarin and watch all sorts of medicine, cold stuff etc. ask a pharmacist when you buy anything...even strepsils can interfere.

Fennel?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

He he

There is something in the chemical make up that interferes with warfarin( in fact practically everything bloody does) and so nurofen/ ibuprofen are an absolute no no.

Actually reinalt 12, ask about the pill new being rolled out that thins your blood at cell level rather than warfarin which some how fools the blood to produce less thick stuff( you can tell I am not a scientist) this is used in the us a lot, and is just being rolled out in the uk. It also means you don't have to have your INR checked regularly. Personally I am actually more happy knowing that I am in the range, but some people don't worry...you can eat and more importantly DRINK what you want with this too.

With regards to drink, alcohol makes the blood naturally thinner anyway, so that is why it buggers up warfarin, BUT laura did say that one of the main reasons for limiting alcohol is to make sure you don't get pissed and fall over , because if you bang your head falling over, start to bleed internally it's goodnight Vienna. I have been told that if I play cricket I MUST wear a helmet as if the ball hits my head, it could be fatal due to internal bleeding.....you will also find you bruise more easily and they spread alarmingly...again, if you start bruising and you are worried , go and see the doctor ASAP and tell the receptionist you are on warfarin and she/ he will prioritise you!

Having said all that, don't be alarmed, I drink, but not to excess, although on cruises where drinks don't come on measures ( I has a mudslide- chocolate, ice cream, rum, vodka, baileys ...no measures, just chuck it I...as you have probably been told,.we are only allowed 3 units a day, which is a pint and a half normally, so you can see that I was well over on that one drink)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
H
Having said all that, don't be alarmed, I drink, but not to excess, although on cruises where drinks don't come on measures ( I has a mudslide- chocolate, ice cream, rum, vodka, baileys ...no measures, just chuck it I...as you have probably been told,.we are only allowed 3 units a day, which is a pint and a half normally, so you can see that I was well over on that one drink)

A cruise, Dave? Who knew? :D

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
He he

There is something in the chemical make up that interferes with warfarin( in fact practically everything bloody does) and so nurofen/ ibuprofen are an absolute no no.

Actually reinalt 12, ask about the pill new being rolled out that thins your blood at cell level rather than warfarin which some how fools the blood to produce less thick stuff( you can tell I am not a scientist) this is used in the us a lot, and is just being rolled out in the uk. It also means you don't have to have your INR checked regularly. Personally I am actually more happy knowing that I am in the range, but some people don't worry...you can eat and more importantly DRINK what you want with this too.

With regards to drink, alcohol makes the blood naturally thinner anyway, so that is why it buggers up warfarin, BUT laura did say that one of the main reasons for limiting alcohol is to make sure you don't get pissed and fall over , because if you bang your head falling over, start to bleed internally it's goodnight Vienna. I have been told that if I play cricket I MUST wear a helmet as if the ball hits my head, it could be fatal due to internal bleeding.....you will also find you bruise more easily and they spread alarmingly...again, if you start bruising and you are worried , go and see the doctor ASAP and tell the receptionist you are on warfarin and she/ he will prioritise you!

The nurse who took my obs mentioned the new pill and said they might give it to me, but the doctor perscribed the Warfarin. Not too worried on the drinking side as I haven't had a drink in 3 or so years, but not having to have my blood checked as regularly would be a plus!

I'll bear in mind the banging of the head thing, especially as I am the clumsiest person on earth... might have to get the football team I co-manage to do more shooting practice to make sure they don't hit me on the sidelines.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Had a dvt after a flight back from Oz. Was at the hospital when the clot travelled to my lung (pulmonary embolism) and was told I was lucky to be at the hospital when this happened as it could then have travelled to my heart or brain.pain was really intense, thought I was going to die. Was on the injections for a few weeks then rat poisin for 6 months in varioous sized doses then all of a sudden the doc says thats it, you're cured! the worrying part for me was when I came off the warfarin as I convinced myself i was going to get anoher clot!! Been over 2 years now and no further problems, have flown 4 or 5 times since with no problems but I do wear those awful surgical flight socks to be sure. Doc told me if i was planning another flight to Oz that he would give me injections before the flight and some to take before the flight home, and that i should consider flying business class with the falt beds (wonder if i could get that on the national health!!)???

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
believe it or not topical medicines such as deep heat will also screw with your inr level!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here