Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting over a serious break up - HELP!!!!!!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Hi guys

I've just broken up with my partner of nearly 5 years, and it's one of those horrible sad breakup's where neither of us have done anything wrong per se, but not a lot right has happened. With the wealth of knowledge and opinion on here - how do you get over a relationship where you've just drifted apart? And is there anything anyone could recommend to "throw a grenade" into a relationship that's died like that, to kickstart it again? We both care about each other very much still, and rather than being acrimonious and screaming at each other, all we seem to be doing is apologising to each other and being extra nice. It's a bloody horrible situation to be in to be honest - every one of our friends have said how well we seem to be doing with it, but to be honest I WANT to hate her, and be angry to make the grieving for the relationship stop.

Sorry to bore you lot with this, but I need to get it off my chest somewhere :(

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Has she met someone else ? Don't mean to be harsh but 9 times out of 10 they have.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Has she met someone else ? Don't mean to be harsh but 9 times out of 10 they have.

No, entirely mutual. She was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder last month, and she keeps telling me that she wants to "find out who she is" She's 25, I'm 31. I've found the bi-polar hard (although I've wanted to support her every step of the way - still do - it's not like we've split because I'm running away from it), and in fairness, we've just drifted over the past 6 months or so to the point that we barely spoke to each other unless it was to ask for something or to have an argument. What's galling me is that I love the bones of her, and wish that I'd taken more notice of the signs which are now so bloody apparent over the past few months.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
how do you get over a relationship where you've just drifted apart? And is there anything anyone could recommend to "throw a grenade" into a relationship that's died like that, to kickstart it again? :(

Take her dogging?

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Hi guys

I've just broken up with my partner of nearly 5 years, and it's one of those horrible sad breakup's where neither of us have done anything wrong per se, but not a lot right has happened. With the wealth of knowledge and opinion on here - how do you get over a relationship where you've just drifted apart? And is there anything anyone could recommend to "throw a grenade" into a relationship that's died like that, to kickstart it again? We both care about each other very much still, and rather than being acrimonious and screaming at each other, all we seem to be doing is apologising to each other and being extra nice. It's a bloody horrible situation to be in to be honest - every one of our friends have said how well we seem to be doing with it, but to be honest I WANT to hate her, and be angry to make the grieving for the relationship stop.

Sorry to bore you lot with this, but I need to get it off my chest somewhere :(
Is it not sad then when someone has done something wrong? Friends usually bullshit in these situations and are being too nice and positive. If they were any use they'd speak to you honestly rather than leave you to flounder on a site full of football fans. Block her on Facebook, email and mobile. Do other things. Life does go on. Women come and go. Another one will be along before you know it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No, entirely mutual. She was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder last month, and she keeps telling me that she wants to "find out who she is" She's 25, I'm 31. I've found the bi-polar hard (although I've wanted to support her every step of the way - still do - it's not like we've split because I'm running away from it), and in fairness, we've just drifted over the past 6 months or so to the point that we barely spoke to each other unless it was to ask for something or to have an argument. What's galling me is that I love the bones of her, and wish that I'd taken more notice of the signs which are now so bloody apparent over the past few months.

You have a limited window of opportunity to show her how much you care. Will you fight for her ? Lay it on the line ? Do your best and then walk away ? This is your moment and it will not come again. I know.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Generally speaking, if a relationship has failed it has failed for a reason, it seems as though you have drifted apart, and that has happened for a reason, in my limited experience of relationships they either work, or they don't.

Don't want to hate her just because you feel you should, if you don't then you shouldn't. It can get ugly and nasty especially if you have mutual friends that can get stuck in the middle.

My advice would be to just accept that that the relationship has run it's natural course and take solace in that, trying to spice things up or give it another go after a break doesn't generally work, it will fail again as after the initial excitement again people revert to their old ways again.

Try not to rebound with another woman as that never works either, the first emotions of loneliness will fade and you will move on, the timescale always varies depending on the individual but it will happen. Don't try to cling on to something that you don't really want because the fear of loneliness is worse than actually being single.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I reckon if two people stay apart for a month or so the answer comes quicker than if you keep meeting up and picking at it.

Not sure this applies to you but .....

The best bit of advice I ever got was, 'Better to be with nobody than just anybody'

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Generally speaking, if a relationship has failed it has failed for a reason, it seems as though you have drifted apart, and that has happened for a reason, in my limited experience of relationships they either work, or they don't.

Don't want to hate her just because you feel you should, if you don't then you shouldn't. It can get ugly and nasty especially if you have mutual friends that can get stuck in the middle.

My advice would be to just accept that that the relationship has run it's natural course and take solace in that, trying to spice things up or give it another go after a break doesn't generally work, it will fail again as after the initial excitement again people revert to their old ways again.

Try not to rebound with another woman as that never works either, the first emotions of loneliness will fade and you will move on, the timescale always varies depending on the individual but it will happen. Don't try to cling on to something that you don't really want because the fear of loneliness is worse than actually being single.

I agree with this but you still have to put up a fight if you want to and that opportunity is very limited. I still miss my ex everyday 18 months after we split so give it your best shot if you want and then walk away head high.

Worthingite

Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

cheers, that makes a lot of sense. Just seems like a bloody mountain - we've lived together for most of the relationship, and shes moved back to her folks. I've got to move out of the flat because I can't afford it on my own, and trying to find a room or a houseshare at 31 years old, with a 15 year old cat, is depressing, frustrating and more than a little bit pathetic!!!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

A very balanced and mature answer on NSC. This idiot has obviously posted on the wrong forum :dunce:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Other people have commented since I started writing, bi polar is a very difficult thing to deal with, I know a woman who has been diagnosed with it and its very difficult to work with, it sounds as if she is pushing you away, not nice at all but if she isn't into you as much as you are into her then I'm afraid there is not a lot you can do apart from walk away and not feel any malice towards her.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
I too have recently broken up with my gf of 4 years, although entirely different circumstances. Tbh the only person who can figure out what to do is you, but i would suggest talking to her up front about it, there is no point pussy-footing around the subject as you wont get anywhere. Just my opinion though :shrug:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
No, entirely mutual. She was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder last month, and she keeps telling me that she wants to "find out who she is" She's 25, I'm 31. I've found the bi-polar hard (although I've wanted to support her every step of the way - still do - it's not like we've split because I'm running away from it), and in fairness, we've just drifted over the past 6 months or so to the point that we barely spoke to each other unless it was to ask for something or to have an f. What's me is that I love the bones of her, and wish that I'd taken more notice of the signs which are now so bloody apparent over the past few months.

My wife is Bi Polar and when she is suffering with it (twice for prolonged periods in our marriage) it is hard work. I have to do a lot for her, for me, for our marriage and it can be a struggle. When shes well it's great. PM me if you want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here