Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it about time the archaic law of consuming alcohol in view of the pitch

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
was rescinded. The more i think about i just don't see why the law is still there.

1 - if it's to stop peple getting drunk at a game it's pointless most towns have a wetherspons where you can happily drink away from 9am till 2 pm so there is a good chance alot of punters will be pissed up by kick off in fact i can recall an away game in Swindon a good few years back when i can't remember half the match due to drunkeness so it's not like they stop you entering the game.

2 - It would help reduce the mad rush at halftime for the bar.

3- It seem to pass at Cricket and Rugby without any major riots

About time this was changed i think

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Why the need to drink whilst watching football?

That's another story. The point, surely, is the draconian laws for football fans and beer.

It's probably time to scrap this because, as the OP says, there's plenty of chances to get tanked up before kick off and the bars at grounds are unnecessarily heaving as a result of the pitch side booze ban.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
People get hammered at football. Allowing drinking during the game as well makes no sense. Much as personally I'd like it you only need a few nobbers to totally ruin it for everyone and guarenteed would be issues. Football has more passion than most sports and tensions run high even without drinking, unfortunately a percentage of British males could not be trusted to not kick off if the rules were changed.

For me it would mean instead of 9 pint day , a 14 pint day, just no need

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
agreed .... the law treats adults like children....

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title

Why the need to drink whilst watching F1, rugby, dancing and listening to music ,at weddings at funerals, fishing, playing and watching darts ,playing and watching snooker ? i mean blimey those crazy soccer guys!!!!..................

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
was rescinded. The more i think about i just don't see why the law is still there.

1 - if it's to stop peple getting drunk at a game it's pointless most towns have a wetherspons where you can happily drink away from 9am till 2 pm so there is a good chance alot of punters will be pissed up by kick off in fact i can recall an away game in Swindon a good few years back when i can't remember half the match due to drunkeness so it's not like they stop you entering the game.

2 - It would help reduce the mad rush at halftime for the bar.

3- It seem to pass at Cricket and Rugby without any major riots

About time this was changed i think

From what I am reading nobody is going to get served quickly enough to get drunk With the current caterers in place :)

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

Why do anything you don't need to do? Let's ban everything that isn't strictly necessary for survival. Programmes would certainly be forbidden.

I'm interested in a counterargument that isn't based on collective punishment or enforcing personal preferences on other people.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I'm happy the way it is. I watch the football, scream, shout and clap my hands. Imagine the mess when a Ullua header hits the net and all those with a pint stand and put their hands in the air. Soaked!

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
I'm happy the way it is. I watch the football, scream, shout and clap my hands. Imagine the mess when a Ullua header hits the net and all those with a pint stand and put their hands in the air. Soaked!

Don't think that was ever an issue before the 1985 ban. Maybe it was, but I've not heard any complaints.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm old enough to remember (I think) the little 'bar' at The Goldstone, southwest corner of the west stand terrace. Could be a memory playing tricks thing but I'm sure they served spirits there as well as beer and cigarettes. I don't know when it stopped selling alcohol but it was at the back of the terrace, down the steps at the back.

MaggieT83

Oct 26, 2010
Pulborough
I think as an adult I should have the right to drink a beer in whilst watching the game. There is enough cctv and club phonelines to call to get the few idiots that cant control themselves removed

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can you imagine the moaning on here if it was ever introduced? How many threads would there be along the lines of 'Why do people in my row insist on going for a pint half way through the first half?' 'Why does the bloke next to me always spill his beer on my coat when we score'?

It will never happen in a million years anyway.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Slightly off topic, but I understand you are not able to buy booze at champions league matches. Anyone know why?

Seems a bit weird considering its sponsored by Heineken.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You could see a number of Birmingham fans drinking out of what looked like beer bottles right at the back of the stand at the entrance, right next to stewards.

EddieReader

Aug 15, 2010
It's difficult to down a pint in the 15 min. half time interval. Especially if it taken you 5 mins to get served. Put your last third of a pint in a coffee cup and leisurely sip it watching the 2nd half. Sounds a responsible way to drink to me. I can drink watching the cricket & rugby all day :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here