Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's Badger Culling Day.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I'm a country girl, having grown up in Sussex, but I am unsure whether this badger cull is right or not. There is no evidence that it will cut the rate of TB in cattle, or whether it will in fact spread TB when the badgers run out of area trying to escape from being shot. I can see the need to stop the spread of TB but would feel better about it if there was absolute proof that the badgers were responsible for spreading TB.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why not just net them and inject. Badgers too.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've heard they love Calippos, badgers, so why not create an anti-TB drug at the very least on the sticky underside of a sweet frozen orange baton lid, that even when clawing open no beast could avoid the wish for licking until clean. We could have a number of Callipochoppers circling the skies, parachuting down even some humungous icy treats atop the setts of these sudden devils, blocking them in whilst the trickledown of the melted elixir has them tongue up the cure so eagerly, maybe even battling it out hatefully and viciously for a taste of their "precious". Next up, sadly, will be toasting poisonous crumpets to serve to over-randy squirrels.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm a country girl, having grown up in Sussex, but I am unsure whether this badger cull is right or not. There is no evidence that it will cut the rate of TB in cattle, or whether it will in fact spread TB when the badgers run out of area trying to escape from being shot. I can see the need to stop the spread of TB but would feel better about it if there was absolute proof that the badgers were responsible for spreading TB.

Trap in a cage then a point blank blast. I don't like this 'experiment'.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Why don't these idiots who are complaining just read the facts? In Eire they have been culling for a few years and have a host of evidence to prove that the badger cull has nearly solved the issue. Even more evidence in that in Northern Ireland and the immediate area around the North / South border there are still Bovine TB issues.
Bloody obvious, cull as many badgers as it needs and sort the serious Bovine TB issue.

nuff said

TNBA

TTF

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A new report claims the "virtual extermination" of badgers in the Republic of Ireland has failed to stop the spread of bovine TB. Although so many badgers have been killed that they are extinct in many areas, the level of TB in cattle is twice as high as in Britain, it says.

The study comes from Badgerwatch Ireland and the UK Badger Trust.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Why don't these idiots who are complaining just read the facts? In Eire they have been culling for a few years and have a host of evidence to prove that the badger cull has nearly solved the issue. Even more evidence in that in Northern Ireland and the immediate area around the North / South border there are still Bovine TB issues.
Bloody obvious, cull as many badgers as it needs and sort the serious Bovine TB issue.

nuff said

TNBA

TTF

Some of the "idiots" you mention are scientists - slightly more clever than your average paddy I would say (apologies to any Irishmen or women on here).

abc

Jan 6, 2007
A new report claims the "virtual extermination" of badgers in the Republic of Ireland has failed to stop the spread of bovine TB. Although so many badgers have been killed that they are extinct in many areas, the level of TB in cattle is twice as high as in Britain, it says.

The study comes from Badgerwatch Ireland and the UK Badger Trust.

Any opportunity to have a another go at Farmers? Your past posts go before you.....

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
abc we will never agree on this and I will do anything I can to stop it, or at least point out the futility of it and I posted something someone else reported. I am not against the farmers but the flawed science of this cull. I haven't even started yet.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
abc we will never agree on this and I will do anything I can to stop it, or at least point out the futility of it and I posted something someone else reported. I am not against the farmers but the flawed science of this cull. I haven't even started yet.

Fair enough, your past posts gave me that impression. As far as the cull goes I actually have an open mind. Surely it's worth trying what is a controlled trial? If not for the sake of eradicating TB in cattle then for the sake of eradicating TB in the badgers themselves. Anyone who genuinely cares about Badgers will support this as thousands of badgers die a horrific death every year because of TB. The cull has become a political issue (bit like fracking) and the real issues are being ignored. Look at some of the earlier posts on this thread!
I love badgers. TB is rife is badgers where their population has become too high. I also love hedgehogs. The latter are being wiped out because of the explosion in badger numbers. Some balance is needed in the badger population and some balance is needed in the debate too!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here